Mecha games?

Wicht

Hero
Wolf72 said:
and although it uses 2d6 I think you could reasonably turn into d20 (for attks and what not)

You are right. Just make all the weapons touch attack, tweak the old modifiers a bit, while keeping movement, damage and armor the same and viola Battletech D20.

gamecat

Explorer
When d20 system gets boring, we run a Mobile Suit Gundam game using Shadowrun's vehicle combat rules. Simple, but elegant.

Wolf72

Explorer
Wicht said:

You are right. Just make all the weapons touch attack, tweak the old modifiers a bit, while keeping movement, damage and armor the same and viola Battletech D20.

add in a DC for each range category ... mods for movement, jumping, etc

S

shurai

Tsyr said:
Shurai, you say Jovian Chronicals is mostly focused on space and if I want planetary action I should go for Heavy Gear. I more or less gathered this from the setting.

However, I was reading on their website about some of the martian units, and I was given the impression that the mechs at least CAN operate on land... is thus true, and if it is, is it true for all planets/legged mechs, or just certain legged mechs/low-gravity planets? I mean, I like the idea of space combat, the old military axiom of not being able to win a war with airpower alone seems to apply here. You would think they would see SOME planetary action...

Blacksad is dead-on. Almost all the Exoarmors, except the Syreen I think, can operate in walker mode in high-gravity situations like inside a colony, on a lunar or planetary surface, etc. There's even mechanics for taking units that have space movement only and allowing them to use their thrust to fly around on a planet, and also for achieving escape velocity, etc.

-S

Siridar

First Post
I've only played Mekton and Robotech.

Paladium's Robotech I am not fond of. I just don't like that system. I can't quite put it into words, but I don't like that system.

R.Talsorian's Mekton uses a simple and familiar system of stat+skill+modifier+1d10 > opponents stat+skill+mod+1d10 or a straight difficulty number. It's mek system is VERY versatile. You can create just about any mecha using it. You can create anything from power armor to Voltron-like meks. I've even seen a net version of Transformers using this system.

It's a very generic game. This is it's greatest ability(?) and it's greatest flaw. If you're willing to put some effort into coming up with a world and some mekton designs you can really do anything. If you aren't, there are some bare-bones settings that come with the book, but they are bare bones and only have one or two accompanying meks to go with them.

http://www.talsorian.com/catmz.shtml

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Who knows someone may come put with a D20 mecha game, and even ahve rules for piloting vehicles that don't totally suck like they do in star wars and the revised star wars.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Re: Mecha,mecha, mecha

Darth Biere said:

Most of the comments I can agree with. But I have one thing to say about the 3rd edition Mechwarrior RPG. IT'S ABOUT TIME!! Compared to previous editions, this one allows players to make anything their twisted minds can come up with and have more than a handfull of skills. I've looked at the others, but I haven't had much experience with playing them( except for Mektoon, but I don't count that).
I have to warn everyone, the character creation process for MW3e is looong. But it does flesh out your background, which can affect your initial or starting attributes and skills.

Think of it this way. You know those books, Heroes of Legend and Heroes of Tomorrow by Task Force Games? The ones that allows you to flesh your character and his background history in any games? That concept is integrated into MW3e.

Remove ads