Mecha games?

Geoff Watson

First Post
My favourite Mecha game is Battletech.
It's a little bit complicated, but it shouldn't take long for you to get used to it. The Mechwarrior RPG add-on isn't bad, but it isn't that great either.

Heavy Gear I found to be too random. The 'dodge' mecha were much harder to hurt than the 'tough' mecha, which seems odd.
All of the HG battles I've seen played were 'run around making pot shots, until someone rolls snake eyes on a dodge roll and dies'.

Robotech: the system sucks.
GURPS Mecha: insanely complicated.
Jovian Chronicles, Gear Kreig: haven't seen them.

BESM2 looks like a good, cinematic game for mecha. An RPG rather than a tactical game.

Geoff.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
For wargaming: Battletech.

One of my favourite aspects of this game is that the larger the scale you play, the more important a balanced force and maneouvre comes into play. Go silly with heaps of assault mechs and brilliant pilots and, as long as you're using a point-balance side selection method, you'll get creamed by a balanced opponent with lots of medium mechs (with some light and heavier support vehicles) and mainly average pilots, especially if he knows how to maneouvre.

Campaign play sucks, though, if you are running on a big scale, the book-keeping is just insane.

IIRC, Mechwarrior (the RPG) uses pretty much the same system as Shadowrun. Never played MW, though.

For roleplaying: Heavy Gear.

A really elegant, simple system that offers the best balance of realism I've seen in a game that runs so easily. Since Jovian Chronicles has the same system, I'd say go with that if you prefer the setting; I can't compare the two because I've only played HG.

Despite the rave reviews of the Silhouette system (Heavy Gear & Jovian Chronicles), after reading through the rules I just couldn't get into it. Though I haven't paid close attention to the system as of late it seems more geared to wargaming than RPGing (again I could be wrong, but that's my perception of it)...

The systems I enjoyed better were MektonZ (I think they have reprinted it recently) and Big Eyes, Small Mouth. The unfortunate thing about these two games is there are no real detailed supported settings for the games. I believe MektonZ used Interlock... but it could have been written recently enough for Fuzion. Big Eyes, Small Mouth uses Tri-Stat.

MektonZ products:
http://www.talsorian.com/catmz.shtml

Big Eyes, Small Mouth products (they have the Centauri Knights scenario):

http://www.guardiansorder.com/greengoo/besm.html

Also, depending on what kind of scenario your players are interested in, Talsorian has acquired the rights to publish Gundam Year One RPG in the USA... (see "So what's right now?"):
http://www.talsorian.com/lisarant.shtml

S

shurai

Okay, let me get this off my chest: DP9 is my favorite game company, Silhouette is my favorite system for both RP and tactical play, and my favorite game has to be either Heavy Gear or Jovian Chronicles, not sure which. I'm biased, you might say, but it's bias based on logic.

Simply put, if you want planetary action, Heavy Gear is probably your best bet, because Jovian Chronicles is really all about the space stuff.

Jovian Chronicles is the most realistic space game I've ever seen. It has a real 3D vectored thrust system that is simple enough to be playable with a little practice, and will probably take about as much effort to learn as, say, the D&D 3rd Ed. movement/attack of opportunity mechanics (though it's modular, you don't have to use the 3D bits). Anyway, the system is fairly simple and intuitive assuming your brain hasn't been fed too much stupidity by movie physics (see slashdot's article for today).

Let's talk about Silhouette in general for a moment. The mechanics simple dicewise (Rarely will you need more than 3d6 to play a character), and well-conceived. It works on a familiar "if dice+modifiers > target number, then success" premise, and like many systems these days it associates skills with an attribute score, like shooting a gun and dexterity. Damage is done with a wounds system that players of WEG Star Wars or White Wolf will find fairly familiar. Armor behaves as it does in real life by making it more difficult for a given amount of damage to cause a wound. Typically a single attack in Silhouette has two rolls, an Attack and a Dodge. Damage is variable but a factor of how well you hit and the weapon's potentcy.

It has built-in powergaming resistance, probably the best of any system I've seen. It uses a point-buy mechanic that is exponential rather than linear, so if you want to sacrifice your appearance for extra agility you really have to pay dearly for it. Silhouette encouranges well-rounded characters with a lot of interesting skills, because buying a skill at a basic level of competency is so cheap compared to "maxing out" on a given skill.

I remember playing with my friends, who mostly approached the game from the standard powergamer standpoint. They really were better than me at the shooting and piloting parts of combat, but they couldn't do anything else, while my character was a competent sigint/EW officer, a decent swordsman, knew kung fu, knew how to work the military bureaucracy, knew a lot about jazz music, was a pretty decent tapas chef, and was pretty successful with the ladies. The funny thing was, it wasn't like my character sucked at gear piloting, he was actually pretty good at that too.

The system does have flaws though. It is designed to be simple and fast to play, so as a result sometimes the fine details that we're used to in d20 aren't represented well. For instance, a +1 modifier to a roll in Silhouette is worth about +4 or so to a d20 roll, so most of the time little modifiers are just out of the system's resolution.

Also, combat is too realistic sometimes: It's entirely possible for a single gunshot from a mediocre security guard to kill outright the gentleman thief you've been playing with for months, if you're an idiot and get in a shooting match with him.

Another flaw of the games is that you'll be expected to do most of the work regarding fleshing out the game world on your own. They describe their game world at length, but they're describing vast geopolitical details and social trends, so for very detailed information you'll need to make it up or buy another supplement. Along this vein, usually adventure modules will need some thought by the GM to run well, because the module will describe a situation for the characters to interact with rather than a map of a fortress or dungeon to infiltrate.

Anyway, I hope I wasn't too much of a DP9 fanboy here. :]

-S

S

shurai

Okay, I've already been talking too much, but here's some more:

I find it interesting that some folks have posted that Silhouette is more for RP while others have found it focused on the tactical aspect. To me, this seems to mean that it's good for both. :]

Also, as to the quality of the tactical experience, I've found that there is definitely some complexity to the game, but it is to be found in strategizing rather than the tinkering with statistics.

For instance, the Command Points mechanic allows you to have a bunch of interesting options representing that often-missed aspect of warfare: Coordination of units through communication and quality of leadership.

If the combat is turning into a series of pot-shots, its probably because both sides aren't coordinating and don't realize where the good field position is. Also, were the mission objectives for either side anything interesting like holding territory or blowing up an ammo dump, or just last man standing?

You have to fit your head around the idea that every shot fired at you is dangerous, much like in real life. Given that, It's all about staying out of the line of fire, coordinating the attack, suppressing the enemy through cover fire and other distractions, and going after your objectives rather than just pasting the bad guy.

Silhouette rarely works like D&D or Battletech, in which you can just stand there and take it if you have enough hit points (or armor or internal structure boxes). If the enemy has any firepower worth noting and gets a sweet shot at you, there's a good chance that you'll die, because that's what modern warfare is like.

I actually like that aspect a lot, because it turns combat, especially in the character scale, into a scary exercise.

-S

Tsyr

Explorer
Shurai, you say Jovian Chronicals is mostly focused on space and if I want planetary action I should go for Heavy Gear. I more or less gathered this from the setting.

However, I was reading on their website about some of the martian units, and I was given the impression that the mechs at least CAN operate on land... is thus true, and if it is, is it true for all planets/legged mechs, or just certain legged mechs/low-gravity planets? I mean, I like the idea of space combat, the old military axiom of not being able to win a war with airpower alone seems to apply here. You would think they would see SOME planetary action...

Blacksad

Explorer
Tsyr: all legged mech can operate on land, but they can't fly on land, though they can jump really high (perhaps making the mech a bit too hot in the process), there is rules in it that give you the change on movement on different gravity.

But the setting itself focus on space action (the jovians "good guys" live in space colony and try to resist the CEGA space army action, venusian control money, martian has allies to both CEGA and jovian, mercurian are trader), though I do not have bought the earth, venus and mars sourcebook, I think that you could only have land action on mars and earth.

Wicht

Hero
Battletech seems very daunting at first. But the rules are actually pretty simple to use. And you don't really need much backstory (though its there if you want it)- just pick your mechs and go to it.

As someone else posted, play with the basic rules first. moving. shooting. heat. Then after you got that add in the more complicated rules, like terrain, elevation, skidding, etc.

Darth Biere

First Post
Mecha,mecha, mecha

Most of the comments I can agree with. But I have one thing to say about the 3rd edition Mechwarrior RPG. IT'S ABOUT TIME!! Compared to previous editions, this one allows players to make anything their twisted minds can come up with and have more than a handfull of skills. I've looked at the others, but I haven't had much experience with playing them( except for Mektoon, but I don't count that).

Remove ads