D&D 5E Mechanics as emotional provocateurs

One of my favorite games, Dogs in the Vineyard, does a great job of putting the players in the emotional framework of their PCs. It does this via the conflict resolution mechanics that naturally tend to lead to escalation much of the time. When adrenaline is up and emotions are running high, losing an argument with heavy stakes has a natural propensity to want to turn violent. Somebody might throw a punch. If the stakes are really, really high, then violence can turn lethal. Someone might pull a knife or even unholster their Colt.

The nature of the game, the thematic role of the PCs (more or less wild west Paladins in a world full of sin and mortal weakness), and deft GMing work with the resolution mechanics to put the PCs in a heightened emotional state where the attention starved kid "well that escalated quickly"is hanging out just offscreen, waiting to be provoked into making an appearance. It perpetuates the player inhabiting the emotional state of their Dog and being locked into the moment so that the "what is worth fighting (and dealing with the fallout)/dying for" prioritization is ever-present.

Any GMs finding a 5e analog to this? Is the Bonds/Flaws > Inspiration minigame realizing this same end?

Kikuras

First Post
My old group came close to playing Dogs in the Vineyard a while back, to get a break from the crunchiness of 3.5. Unfortunately we never followed through, and though I have the source material, I never really got into how the game works.

Remove ads