Medieval weapons: why so many? And how do they differ?

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Yeah, spear/pike until replaced by gun, incidentally for the same penetration/crush type of injury. Swords for authority. I used to have a photo catalog of weapons and armor from the Vienna Military History museum, very interesting, except mostly bespoke weapons and armor for the wealthy. However, what would be seen on the battlefield would probably be used in a dungeon, excepting that dungeons in dnd are largely just fantasy too - so fantastic weapons for a fantasy environment.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
it all comes down to the defense of the 'foe'. What are the other guys wearing? Weapons and armor are used to defeat each other and improvements come to either give the edge over the other. Another point is mass production and training.

Derren

Hero
Yeah, spear/pike until replaced by gun, incidentally for the same penetration/crush type of injury. Swords for authority. I used to have a photo catalog of weapons and armor from the Vienna Military History museum, very interesting, except mostly bespoke weapons and armor for the wealthy. However, what would be seen on the battlefield would probably be used in a dungeon, excepting that dungeons in dnd are largely just fantasy too - so fantastic weapons for a fantasy environment.

That actually did not happen.
Pikes and guns existed alongside as combined arms. This time in warfare was called pike&shot after all. The ration of pike vs gun steadily shifted towards more guns the more advanced they became and pikes mostly disappeared once you had reliable guns + bayonets.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
It would be nice if you quoted the complete sentence...
So? You write a paragraph, to end with what I wrote in one sentence 1st. Bayonet would still be part of gun as well, so ... spear/pike until replaced by gun, is correct. At least for small arms, artillery is different. Some soldiers still carry swords, why? As sign of authority.

Remove ads