Medriev's FR Thunderspire Labyrinth - Concluded Apr 13

Medriev

Explorer
Epilogue - The Plans of Paldemar

“The maps show a place that seems to be in the Hullack Forest,” said Lavren as the companions ate breakfast in the Halfmoon Inn and considered the spoils of their recent victory. “Paldemar has marked it as with several phrases, Place of power, Vast magic for the taking and Seek the Lost King.”
“But the Lost King is Gondegal,” said Dulvarna. “His rebellion failed and it is said that he fled to the east.”
“What would Paldemar want with him?” Litiraan asked.
“And more to the point,” said Erlmoor. “What would he want with trolls?”

The dragonborn pushed forward the second map that they had found in Paldemar’s chamber. It showed an area to the south of a forest marked with the word Trolls and then had arrows pointing from the area towards what seemed to be a walled town.
“It seems that he planned to gather power and then encourage trolls to attack this town,” said Telkya. “And if he escaped we must assume that he still plans to. Where is this town? It seems to me that this map shows the area to the south of the Hullack Forest so what town is that?”
“It is called Sunset Hill if I remember rightly,” said Lavren. “Mandratan and I stopped there once. And the area to the south of the Hullack was once known as the Trollhaunt.”
“Then we must venture into the Hullack next and then to Sunset Hill if we are to stop him,” said Litiraan determinedly. “Though first we must return to Cormanthor.”

The elf looked up to where Tahlvinae waited tables across the common room of the inn. She had befriended Rendil Halfmoon easily and had made herself busy during their expedition to the Tower of Mysteries by helping out around the inn. Litiraan looked over at a table of dwarves tucking into the delicious cooked breakfasts that Tahlvinae had served them and realised that he would miss the inn.
“This had been a good home to us while we have been here,” he said to the others.
“It has,” said Lavren, reaching out to hold Telkya’s hand. “It has indeed.”

He smiled at the elf maid and she smiled contentedly back. They would return to Cormanthor and be married and then they would venture forth again to halt the plans of an enemy who had escaped them.

Next.....A New Story Hour - Pyramid of Shadows

Caldarion

First Post
Well done!

Hi Medriev!

I've just read through all your solo campaign write-ups, and it has really inspired me as I am doing exactely the same thing with my Mythgara campaign. I haven't worked on it for awhile, but I'll get back to it. Good work, guy! Questions: 1) What system did you use for intitiative? All good guys go, then all bad guys go? Vice-versa? Or did you roll each one separately? and 2) In combat, know some powers push, pull etc. In your combats, it seemed there was always movement from the hit combatant, such as twisting away into a wall, etc. So did you house rule that, if a combatant is hit, he would be pushed 1 square because of the blow's force, and the pain (which absolutely makes sense to me), or was it for the sake of the narrative?

Again, very enjoyable! My e-mail is dcpev@shaw.ca Looking forward to hearing from you!

Medriev

Explorer
Hi Medriev!

I've just read through all your solo campaign write-ups, and it has really inspired me as I am doing exactely the same thing with my Mythgara campaign. I haven't worked on it for awhile, but I'll get back to it. Good work, guy! Questions: 1) What system did you use for intitiative? All good guys go, then all bad guys go? Vice-versa? Or did you roll each one separately? and 2) In combat, know some powers push, pull etc. In your combats, it seemed there was always movement from the hit combatant, such as twisting away into a wall, etc. So did you house rule that, if a combatant is hit, he would be pushed 1 square because of the blow's force, and the pain (which absolutely makes sense to me), or was it for the sake of the narrative?

Again, very enjoyable! My e-mail is dcpev@shaw.ca Looking forward to hearing from you!

Caldarion

Sorry not to reply to this quickly but have been busy with various other things and not been to EnWorld for a while.

Glad you have enjoyed reading this. Have seen some of your early stuff and it looked good so if you enjoy it, I'd keep going. As to your questions, I used individual initiative in the three threads I've posted although I am now using the excellent Masterplan software and using group initiative for monsters in that. The movement in combat is a bit of artistic license based on how I would see the combat unfolding with no real game effects taking place. Just wanted to illustrate that someone struck by a weapon, particularly a big weapon wielded by an ogre or some such, is likely to be thrown back even if the rules don't say that. As far as the combat went, I left them in the same place but wrote it as I saw it happening. Essentially, what I had in mind was combat in the vein of the Lord of the Rings movies where if a troll hits you, you know about it!

Medriev

Remove ads