D&D 5E Melee Barbarian/Warlock

brehobit

Explorer
I rather like it. Probably my favorite 5th edition build at the moment, though depending on where hexblade ends up, I may just go with that (shield and staff and polearm mastery) or take a level of fighter in there (+2 damage on melee attacks and CON save profecency (for concentration) may well make it worthwhile. The small self-heal won't hurt.

Adb0782

Explorer
I'm actually going to play something very similar with fiend patron blade pact and only using the PHB. We rolled the stats and I got this playing as a drow:

16 STR
12 + 2 DEX
16 CON
11INT
12 WIS
15 + 1 CHA

that looks nice for how is MAD this build. Being a drow i gave up the polearm master and get a great sword. I'm actually barb 1/warlock 2 (LV 2 and 3 are bad for this build unlucky, but it's almost over 😅) and I'll get at least 3 levels more of warlock. Once there I'm still thinking if get 3 lv of barb for the bear totem (than go warlock) and asi, or just go X warlock. Actually I think the best option is go 3 LV (or 2) more barb but that's also what I would like to ask bcs I'm not that sure as it slow my warlock progression.

As asi's I'll get at LV 5 the +2 str and at LV 9 GWM (if get it from barb) than +2 CHA at 12 (or GWM if i didn't get it at LV 9) and than maybe the feat for the superiority die with riposte the next asi (or +2 CHA if I didn't take it before).

Invocation I choose devil sight and fiend vigor for now and I'll get of course later thirsting blade and lifedrinker.

Spells I got hex, Armor of aghatys and charme on people (I'm a drow) for now, darkness soon for the combo with devil's sight that it's doubled from the darkness from racial bonus from 5lv and that I hope it's better than just hex + eldricht blast while not raging bcs it's much more nice for the bg. What spells more I should get going on like this?

Ps I hope I didn't a mistake reupping an old post but it is still talking about esactly what I mean and i think it's better have all the info on the same post.

brehobit

Explorer
Sounds like fun. Mechanically drow is probably weaker than human with polearm mastery (it's a huge feat, up there with GWM).

As far as spells, I find that by Warlock 5/Barb1 I'm mostly casting Armor of Aghathys and fireball. Really not much of anything else other than darkness on rare (rare) occasion. Darkness just messes with the rest of the party so much it becomes "unfun".

Adb0782

Explorer
Sounds like fun. Mechanically drow is probably weaker than human with polearm mastery (it's a huge feat, up there with GWM).

As far as spells, I find that by Warlock 5/Barb1 I'm mostly casting Armor of Aghathys and fireball. Really not much of anything else other than darkness on rare (rare) occasion. Darkness just messes with the rest of the party so much it becomes "unfun".

Well yea a human it's stronger with Polearm master, but i wanted to play a drow for the bg (btw the drow it's kinda underpowered: light sensitivity it's very bad at least till u get darkness, and u can use it from 5 lv while a full caster of any race can at 3 LV, double dark vision it's nice). Anyway, do u think to go on just warlock or get 2/3 LV of barb more on your next levels? Resistance to everything it's good for AofA but it delay lifedrinker and better spell slots for AofA 2 or 3 levels and all the warlock spells too, so im really not sure about if it's worth it or not. For sure I think I'll put fire shield as spell and probably mirror image (if something hit the copies gets AofA damage?), but i don't know what else.

Ps darkness I'll use only while can't rage or while there is sun light, for protect my Pg from his sensitivity, and about the fireball yea I'll get it also for sure as spell, I'm just not so sure later it's better than just buff yourself with fireshield. But well, for sure it's cooler. 😅

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
It might not be super fluffy, but I like this build with Half Orc plus Darkness and Devil's sight for advantage and crit fishing. Darkness is a little niche based on the party, but it's useful in enough spots that I'd build around it. It does make a nice secondary option for when you can't rage. I might tend toward a more balanced level advancement too, even if that delays some of the sexy Warlock invocations.

What arer people thinking for Barbarian path if they take it to 3rd? I like the Bear Totem, but Zealot also has some appeal.

Adb0782

Explorer
It might not be super fluffy, but I like this build with Half Orc plus Darkness and Devil's sight for advantage and crit fishing. Darkness is a little niche based on the party, but it's useful in enough spots that I'd build around it. It does make a nice secondary option for when you can't rage. I might tend toward a more balanced level advancement too, even if that delays some of the sexy Warlock invocations.

What arer people thinking for Barbarian path if they take it to 3rd? I like the Bear Totem, but Zealot also has some appeal.

Take it to 3rd for me it's for bear totem for sure. As i can use only PHB. But yea Zealot work well I think. The problem here anyway is yep the invocations delays, but also if u get just to LV 3 barb and not LV 4, the lost of an asi that u not gonna get again so soon and u lost boost of AofA that at 20 THP is where it work better. With my stat I suppose I need that ASI as the bread need butter before jam lol, with the half orc your point it's good, but I'm not sure it work same for my drow, that's why I'm not sure about what to do once there. If it's worth delay invocations dipping 3 LV it's probably worth also 4 LV, but im scared in this way AofA will be kinda useless for deal too few damage and give too few THP.

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Your build probably shades more to mostly Warlock with just a hint of Barbarian around the edges. The Wolf totem isn't bad either for a more maneuver-y character. I might be tempted more by a level or two of rogue for you guy than more Barbarian. That package stacks up pretty well.

Adb0782

Explorer
Your build probably shades more to mostly Warlock with just a hint of Barbarian around the edges. The Wolf totem isn't bad either for a more maneuver-y character. I might be tempted more by a level or two of rogue for you guy than more Barbarian. That package stacks up pretty well.

The 1/2 dip rogue seem interesting, I get sneak attack, cunny action and save proficiency in the 2 stat I need for get all. Sneak attack for damage boost and cunny action for be more mobile for go killing things around for the THP when i don't won't attacks of opportunity. The sneak attack should be good for don't feel too much the delay of lifedrinker, and cunny action is anyway something good even it's not so good as reducing damage from everything that with AofA stacks too well, + I get saves to everything with rogue. Both come at same cost and both r probably viable while the rogue is probably better also bcs it's not so weird to find equips giving me reduction from something.

Ps and if I'm too worry about delay warlock's things seem it work kinda well even with just 1 dip in rogue.

Remove ads