• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Memorable Dragons

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I am sure that everyone can come up with a memorable villian or two, who put up a good fight, or vexed the party for an extended period of time.

But just out of curiosity, how many people on this board can say that they have had a memorable encounter with a Dragon? Specifically, that was memorable for more than just having been an encounter with a Dragon?

Given that the topic is indeed Dragons, I have no doubt that they put up a decent fight. But how many encounters with Dragons are memorable beyond that? Does anyone on this board have any Draconic encounters that stick out in their mind for one reason or another?

As a DM, I have not had many occasions where I actually used a dragon. One was back in 2nd edition with a green dragon. The other time was in 3rd edition with a blue dragon, and that was a non combat encounter (this dragon was at least Old, and the party was about 3rd level). That dragon was wounded and sent the party on an errand, with the understanding that it was a co-operate or die situation.

I suspect that Dragons are the biggest gun that DM's choose not to use too often. Where a DM may throw in random encounters with Pit Fiends and Balors, Dragons are held back mostly for special occasions. So there are some things I would like to know.

Have you ever fought a Dragon?
How large / old, and what color? (Betting mostly reds, and mostly in the upper age ranges)
Was the encounter built up or was it a surprise?
Was the dragon a cheif villian or a minion?
Did you win?

I suspect that if this thread is not totally ignored, that it should make for entertaining reading.

END COMMUNICATION

Zweihänder

First Post
The party encountered one in a game I ran. He was an Elder Great Wyrm White Dragon named Vithsithnya, whom the party had dealings with before. The encounter was somewhat built up; the party needed things from him, and each time the price became more outrageous and more... suspicious. Eventually, the party sucker-punched him, attacking him in the middle of negotiations. They quickly realized OH SNAP THIS IS A BAD IDEA, and decided to cheese it (by means of a clerical Teleport). They never encountered him again.

I never encountered or used a Dragon in 1st edition.

I only used DARKSUN dragons in 2nd edition which don't count.

In 3.0 we had to break into a Black Dragon's lair to steal a minor artifact once. Never ran into the dragon however.

In 3.0 I ran Black Dragon Wyrmlings twice. Once as guards to my trapped and bare bones naked PCs held by mid level Ogres. PCs avoided them like the plague. Later I had them face a single Black Wyrmling within a dark water filled room that kept them very busy.

In 3.5 I have had the Group deal with a Huge Black whom is up to no good and belongs to the Council of Wyrms in Eberron. His 1/2 breed children chased the PCs off the island of Dragons. I had them speak to a Gold Dragon in the Plane of Battles.

With the Council of Wyrms, the PCs had to face down and explain themselves to 5 huge dragons and about 10 large or smaller dragons and their human contacts. I have never seen players be so careful at what they said and how they said it.

This weekend I plan on using a Garg. Black (just bought it at Albany Gameday last weekend- BOO-YAH!) CR 20 vs them after they deal with a few Beholders and the Emerald Claw within the underground ruins of Storm Reach. Should be fun.

My next campaign- The Chaos Effect will use Dragons a great deal including an infamous five headed dragon.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Zweihänder said:
Eventually, the party sucker-punched him, attacking him in the middle of negotiations. They quickly realized OH SNAP THIS IS A BAD IDEA, and decided to cheese it (by means of a clerical Teleport). They never encountered him again.

HAHAHA...

You have to like it when this sort of thing happens. It reminds me of that clip that where someone convinces his friend to go out and flip off a cop that is walking down the street. The guy does so and the cop responds by beating him with his knight stick.

If I were running this game, you could be certain that the dragon would make a point of hunting down the players, beating them within an inch of their lives, and demanding excessive reparations, as in "Either I get all of your gear and you walk away naked, or one of you chooses to die so that the others may live".

END COMMUNICATON

the Jester

Legend
Prolly my most memorable dragon episode involved a pc conjurer wandering around inside an iceberg that had a great wingtip poking out of the floor of a passage within it. She couldn't find what she was looking for, so she cast burning hands on the wingtip, woke up a white dragon, and ended up frozen in a block of ice when she tried to flee in the water.

JustKim

First Post
My favorite aspect of D&D is the monsters. My favorite monsters are dragons. I use dragons often, and I put a lot of love into every one. Out of probably a hundred different varieties of dragon I have, I have always had a fondness for blue dragons. My most recent blue dragon was Cacocoruscate, a mere hatchling who the PCs first met in their very first adventure. The PCs slew Cacocoruscate's brothers, but these things happen and she was willing to overlook that. It helped that she knew where her brothers' hoards were. Unfortunately for the PCs, they took a piece of Cacocoruscate's treasure as insurance and broke their promise to return it.

The PCs traveled hundreds of miles and amassed a dozen levels. They acquired a castle, wooed the local nobility and laid down their roots. They hired enough guards and soldiers to shoot a flight of dragons out of the sky. Cacocoruscate didn't stand a chance against them, but the people of their village were easy prey.

Cacocoruscate spied on the PCs for months, watching who in the village they met with and who they befriended. She targeted an old gypsy leader named Branek, who looked after the sick younger brother of a PC. One night while the old man was watching the livestock, Cacocoruscate imitated the sound of a stray sheep to lure him away from camp and subdue him in the hills.

She lamed the old man and took him to a disused gallows at a forgotten crossroads, and tied him there with a complicated array of ropes, weights and traps. When Branek was too hoarse from calling for help to warn the PCs, she left an easy trail for them to follow.

The PCs were there that evening, nose studiously to the ground observing where Cacocoruscate had pressed Branek's shoes into the soil. When they found the gallows, they gathered around to cut Branek down, literally racing one another to be the one who rescued him.

Cacocoruscate burrowed up from the ground and breathed a bolt of lightning through Branek, through the ropes, and through a couple of PCs for minimal damage. They yawned.

Then the ropes burned through, and a chain reaction was started. The unraveling framework of Cacocoruscate's trap filled the area with blinding fog, flying blades and rolling cabers. Old Branek was launched into the air. Out of the fog and over the chorus of PCs running around, waving their arms and attacking inanimate objects, Cacocoruscate snatched up the old man and flew with him into the hills.

While the PCs emerged from the fog, Cacocoruscate came blazing back through, breathing lightning on the weakest members and sending the spellcasters on the defensive. The archer got some good hits in, and Cacocoruscate landed to reveal her secret weapon: a shard of the Mirror of Opposition, a single-charged relic otherwise identical to the game-breaking magic item of the same name.

Cacocoruscate stood boldly with the cloth-wrapped bundle of the shard as the party descended on her. They knew of the Mirror's power and how to avoid its effects, so she would have to wait until they were close. She held an action to activate the shard when the barbarian came within range, and when he did, Cacocoruscate threw aside the cloth, confronted the hulking half-orc with his reflection, and mouthed the command word..

Nothing happened. Another PC had cast silence on a rock at Cacocoruscate's feet just before the barbarian's action. Dumb luck had prevented her from speaking the command word. Cacocoruscate tried to retreat, but she had made a grave error. In another six seconds she was a pair of dragonscale boots waiting to be made.

Cacocoruscate did get her revenge, however. The PCs later used the shard against a BBEG who was a good queen possessed by an evil spirit. The shard duplicated the one whose reflection it bore- the good queen- and inadvertantly doubled their handful when a second evil queen arrived on the scene. It was very nearly a TPK.

Robert Ranting

First Post
"But just out of curiosity, how many people on this board can say that they have had a memorable encounter with a Dragon? Specifically, that was memorable for more than just having been an encounter with a Dragon?"

In my current campaign, there is a Woodwrack Dragon (Creature Collection Revised) who has become one of the more memorable and influential NPCs of the entire campaign. My players have had a lot of fun interacting with him...but it's mostly because he's a little...unusual, as far as dragons go. Ironically enough, (considering Lord Zardoz started this thread), the Dragon's name is Zardozan, which I came up with on the fly. I thought to myself, what's the most horrible thing I've ever seen? And the answer was the movie title "Zardoz", to which I added a suffix. While Zardozan is for all intents and purposes a dragon, his body is made primarily of decomposing plant and animal matter. Moreover, he was not originally born a dragon, but instead was the result of a mad spellcaster's attempt to "ascend" to Dragonhood using an ancient artifact held within a ruined yuan-ti temple. In the course of the campaign, the PCs ventured into said temple, cleared it's inhabitants, and moved many of their allies into it as a base of operations. Shortly thereafter, they figured out how to operate the "Evolution Engine" within it, and used it to modify a creature (templates, race changes, character re-builds, or Evolved/Paragon levels are all possible with it, in theory).

One day, upon returning to the temple after a short foray into the wilds, the PCs were set upon by Zardozan, whose surprise-round breath weapon and first round of attacks left the party reeling. They were even more surprised when, after finishing his full attack, he hopped comically "back into his square" and asked "Well, had enough?!" After a bit of diplomacy, the party quickly realized that the Dragon had "rationalized" that no adventuring party would talk first, so he figured he'd get the messy combat out of the way before talking to them, which was his goal.

Essentially, when Zardozan used the temple's magic to transform himself, he'd been aiming to become a green dragon, but something had gone wrong. As a result, his current form is horribly misshapen, and he is unable to venture inside the temple to retry the experiment because of his great size (the actual focus of the Evolution Engine is on the roof, but the means of activating it is deep within the structure, and Zardozan can't risk damaging the building for fear of damaging the magic item integrated into the structure). Moreover, the transformation has left Zardozan mentally disturbed. He's brilliantly intelligent, quite charismatic, but absolutely mad as a hatter. His obsession with using the Evolution Engine again to "fix" his imperfect form is the only thing that gives him any sort of mental clarity or awareness of the outside world. The end result is a Dragon who's something of a fool, capable of manipulating others, but easily manipulated himself...oh, and did I mention he's got a bad habit of plucking dead animal corpses out of his Compost-heap like body? And throwing them for target practice with his breath weapon? Yeah...he's...special.

The party has exploited his shortcomings to their own advantage, however, getting the dragon to offer them small favors in exchange for the eventual right to use the Evolution Engine. In the time he's been with the party, Zardozan has flown members of the party to various locales, used his magical abilities to conjure food and booze for a celebration the PCs held during downtime, helped fend off an army of high-level Yuan-ti and Lizardfolk attempting to retake the temple, and staged raids against the Lizardfolk encampments in the nearby swamps on their behalf.

To be fair, however, the drunken celebration was actually interrupted by the army attacking the temple. The party fighter, the two roguish types, and the dragon were all sitting on the temple roof, playing at target practice and getting drunk when they spotted a strange green glow from the woods...

Subara (the party fighter): "Hey, do you shee a funny light in the woodsh over there?"
Zardozan: *hic* S'not funny. It's the energy shigna- er...shignature of a tel-e-portation spell"
Subara: "...Oh. That's no good."

During the course of the fight, Zardozan was targetted by a squad of Yuan-Ti abominations who all threw their Baleful Polymorph ability at the dragon, (he's gotta roll a 1 sometime) and thus turned the fearsome creature into a tiny viper until such time as he could slither over to the party and get a dispel.

So, yeah, I'd say he's a memorable dragon. :D My Players seem to enjoy interacting with him, in any case, judging by their comments.

In any case...as a player, I've had quite a few encounters with Dragons. Most of them have been pretty standard, but one campaign stands out in particular. Essentially, all the players started out in a mid-sized town which served as a trading post between the Dwarves and the rest of the continent. My character was the son of the town's most successful merchant of Dwarven steel, and as such had quite a bit of access to money and equipment, as well as good sense for business and a greedy streak a mile wide (this will all become relevant later). Early in the campaign, the town was assaulted by Orcs, and it was established that the schoolteacher was a powerful swordsman with some arcane magic. As the campaign progressed, we discovered a well with healing properties (also important later) and ventured into the underdark, and found a mercantile town there run mostly by evil creatures (Kuo-Toa, Drow, Goblinoids, as well as humans, dwarves etc.) Looking for work, we signed on as caravan guards for this red-haired merchant who seemed somewhat shady, and one of our spellcasters announced her suspicion that he was actually a young red dragon. Suspicious, we opened up the supply crates and had our spellcasters identify one of the braclets we were guarding. It turned out to be an item of Cold Resistance keyed so that it would only function for an Orc wielder. We also found fire-based weapons, and other orc-specific items. Putting two and two together, we realized that the Red must be supplying weapons to the Orcs who'd attacked our home.

Here's where things started to go south. Our party fighter was this hulking death-machine with a scythe. Even as a 5th level character, the potential for a coup de grace killing even a high-con creature was pretty good. My character, being both greedy and with a vested interest in stopping the orcs, suggested sneaking into the red merchant's lair, and stabbing him while he slept. We went through with the plan, but as the "merchant" died, his form shifted and twisted into a bugbear, and from behind us, we heard the sound of slow, deliberate clapping. We turned to find the merchant staring at us with a bemused, evil grin, and the obvious upper hand. The typical hero vs. villain banter insued, and we were essentially given an ultimatum...kill the schoolteacher in our home town, or see the whole place razed to the ground before we all die slow, painful deaths. Apparently, the red merchant had reason to believe that the teacher was actually an agent in the service of a silver dragon, and wanted him eliminated, and was willing to spare our lives if we would perform that service.

Returning to the town, we met with the schoolteacher and explained the situation, saying we had no intention of killing him. He didn't take it well. However, it became clear as the conversation continued that he didn't fear our attempts to kill him, and was more worried about the weapons being sold to the Orcs. It was at this point that a couple things became clear. First of all, Orcs would only need cold resistance items if they expected to be attacked with cold...like the breath weapon of a Silver Dragon. Secondly, the teacher wasn't just an agent of the silver dragons, he *was* a Silver Dragon, polymorphed into human form, and the orcs were attempting to drive him and the humans under his protection (our whole town) out. Armed with this knowledge, we worked with the silver dragon to plan the town's defense, although he maintained that he would not fight the Red for us.

My character's father was out of town on business, and so I took the liberty of liquidating a shipment of adamantine weapons and shields from the warehouse, and used them to finance the hiring of 30 or so mercenaries (including one spellcaster of at least one level higher than us). We fortified the stone warehouse building, and gathered as many allies as we could for the inevitable attack of the Red Dragon. It wasn't until he showed up that we realized how deep we were in. He was a Young Adult. Something like 18-19 HD. We're level 7. We eventually goaded the creature onto the ground, to stick his head into the warehouse and try to breath-weapon us. Once there, we unloaded as much Cold damage as possible into him, and our scythe-fighter managed to get a lucky crit, which put the Dragon at about half it's HP at the end of round 3.

...At which point the Red Dragon ran, south, toward where the Healing Well was. Knowing that he would return within an hour, fully healed, we talked our Silver Dragon ally into assuming his true form, and taking 8 of us (mix of PCs and the most powerful of our mercs) to the healing well to try and intercept him. We fly in, only to find the Red already lapping up healing water, and looking quite refreshed, but still unaware of our presence. It is at this point that the scythe-fighter looks up at our silver dragon friend and says "Throw me".

Expending a hero-point, our tank was hurled across the battlefield, dealing thrown weapon damage as he impacted into the red dragon's flank from the silver's throw, and then, on a second lucky crit of the night, did a huge amount of damage to the dragon. Initiative is rolled, many of us beat the Dragon, and one of our casters manages to crit with an Icebolt spell (conjures a shard of ice that does piercing damage, accompanied by a 'cloud' of cold damage) and once again, the Dragon is at about half HP.

...and then everything went to hell, as an acidic breath weapon washed over our Silver friend and all of us still hitching a ride. We look up to see the invisibility spell dropping to reveal a Young Adult Green Dragon. Now, we realized who was the real mastermind behind the Orc attacks on our village, and who was financing all those expensive magic items the Red Dragon had been selling to them. As the battle continued, the humans took the fight to the Red dragon, while the Green and Silver locked into a contest of tooth and claw and point-blank breath weapons. Things became even more grim as a flight (6) Half-Green Dragon Giants arrived to assist their mother, but the same caster who had blasted the Red so fiercely before decided to put his charisma to good use. In mid-fight, he started trying to talk to the Red Dragon. "Look, you're a smart guy. You know you can take us down, but it's going to cost you dearly...and what's to stop your Green friend from turning on you and stealing your horde once you're weak? She's got her kids and her army nearby, and you've got no backup...you'll be easy pickings!"

Faced with the logic of the situation, the Red Dragon decided the Green was a bigger threat, and blasted the Half-Dragons with his breath before attacking the Green. We rallied around our badly beaten Silver friend, who pulled out a one-time use magical item of a spell called Bring Down the Moon, which not only healed us, but also refreshed our "x times per day" abilities, including spellslots...which allowed us to turn the tide against the remaining half-dragons who were still very much a threat. In the end, the Green Dragon managed to knock her Red rival unconcious, and was cut down by the Silver as she attempted to flee. After routing the half-dragons, our party fighter finally managed to coup de grace the Red Dragon, which killed it, as I had predicted it could.

Unfortunately, the Silver Dragon was now in a position to dictate terms...namely, claiming the Hoards of both dragons for himself to recoup the cost of the magic item that had saved us all, and essentially indebting us to him and the wider cabal of Silvers of which he was a part. In the end, however, it was a small price to pay for a memorable victory. To this day, the players in that game remember the "Christmas Battle" between Red, Green, and Silver, and the poor PCs caught in the middle.

Robert "Wow, this has been a long post" Ranting

Crysmalon

Explorer
doing away with standard chromatic

Honestly, the most memorably dragons I've put out there as a DM usually break the rules for your standard chromatic D&D dragons. Anymore, I try to make them unique creatures. Keeps the PCs always guessing as to what they're facing,breath weapon, magic, etc. I rarely use them, though and usually only ancient or great wyrms at the end of a campaign. Hmmm...time to use one again. It's been a few years.

wolff96

First Post
The most memorable dragon in one of my campaigns? "Chuckles" the Black.

Some kind of creature or magic had been stealing cattle from a group of plainsmen that were party allies. The players agreed to investigate for their friends.

After much investigation turned up nothing -- no tracks, no magical signature that they could find -- they finally settled on simply "staking out" the herd. So they watched for several nights. They finally saw a globe of darkness swoop in, abscond (silently) with a large cow, and fly off to the north. They followed into the northern swamps.

They spent quite a bit of time searching before they caught on -- something was living underwater in the swamps and flying off to eat the herd. The party arcanist guessed 'dragon' but the rest immediately told her she was being silly. Who ever heard of a dragon living in a swamp??

They swam into the creature's lair. Sure enough, it was a young adult black. The creature tore them up in the underwater tunnel leading into his lair, then retreated to let the traps soften them up before confronting them again -- fully healed from some of the magic in his hoard. During the fight, he taunted them. At one point, I said "The black dragon chuckles, saying..."

I never got to finish because two of the players IMMEDIATELY dissolved into laughter. They misheard my statement, thinking that the Black Dragon's NAME was 'Chuckles'. So much for the aura of fear and dread I'd managed to raise in that tense encounter.

The characters began taunting the dragon during the fight, asking what kind of stupid name "Chuckles" was for a dragon. (Since it was somewhat of a metagame joke, the dragon was naturally confused.)

They ended up fighting him to something of a draw; the party retreated without killing him or forcing him from his lair. They did, however, immediately hire bards to immortalize their encounter with "Chuckles, the Black Dragon".

The dragon was not amused. He became my personal favorite BBEG of any campaign. To this day, the players still talk about the various schemes and plots he came up with throughout their adventures. He hurt them several times -- taking out key allies, destroying the Barbarian's tribe, and melting several temples to the ground -- but they still loved the idea of mocking this dragon.

At the very end of the campaign, they finally hunted him down and faced him one last time. It was a heck of a battle -- despite the fact that he was still only a Young Adult, he had acquired quite a bit of wealth, fame, and allies in fighting them over the years of the campaign -- but in the end, Chuckles perished beneath their blades.

---------------------------

The story of "Chuckles the Black" is still a part of that world's history. (It's a shared DM world). Every once in a while, I'll be gaming in that world and some bard will start up with the "Saga of Chuckles". (132 verses and counting.)

diaglo

Adventurer
we subdued a brass dragon and stole his treasure. when we went to the nearby town to sell the loot and figure out what to do with the dragon they nearly lynched us.

(this was in 1981)

coolest thing about the dragon encounter itself was trying to figure out what could be done to a sleeping dragon. we knew we couldn't carry all the treasure and we knew if the dragon woke up he would be angry. so we figured the best way to carry the most loot and find the choicest ones was to beat it into submission... and guess what... there were rules for it in the DMG. :uhoh: it took us all by surprise. besides one player had the idea we could sell the dragon to some lord for sport hunting or dungeon guarding.

we also didn't know that it was a good dragon.

Remove ads