Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue

Neuroglyph

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue

There is a lot of reasons to love Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue, and it offers a great deal of potential to Dungeon Masters for running a very unique style of evil campaign in any edition of D&D, and a wide variety of other fantasy role-playing games as well. And not only does the book present DMs with ideas, but also offers players a pack of character creation options which are all about their story, and not concerned with their mechanics or gear. And honestly, the book is a great read for anyone who likes drow or Salvatore’s Drizzt novels. Overall, I also like that this supplement is edition neutral as well, meaning that any D&D DM can use it in their campaign. But I have to admit to a bit of chagrin about this as well, given that there is no 4E specific information – it simply underscores the end of my personal favorite edition all the more. I can only hope that WotC considers releasing some 4E specific content like themes, backgrounds, magic items, and monsters as part of DDI, so that fans of the current edition can enjoy the book a little more fully. The only negative thing I can say about Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue is that it’s yet another example of shrinking page length and high priced supplements. I’ve complained about this trend of WotC’s in previous reviews, and yet here we have an even shorter book priced at 30 bux. It’s a frustrating trend to watch, and I hope WotC reverses it before the Next edition of D&D comes out.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
4 out of 5 rating for Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue

I don't think 4 stars is quite fair, and I think 5 stars is too high. That aside, this is a really good introduction to any sort of Menzoberranzan-centred campaign whether the PCs are members of a drow house or a more traditional adventuring group. It also covers a number of eras. I've even used it to bring alive bits of the Underdark and drow encounters in areas unrelated to Menzoberranzan so it's a book that has seen some use in my games.

Remove ads