D&D 5E Mer-giants

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
I'd add two things to this. One thing is I'd actually duck into old stuff about the Formorians. Formorians are associated with the depths of the ocean, so I'd make them a bit more of a part in terms of an antagonistic giant force. Additionally for another flavour of weirdness, I'd look at the good ol' cryptozoological thing that are the Ningen

Oh, and giant ever-growing lobsters

phantomK9

Explorer
(But no whales - they're mammals.)
Funny enough, in all the games I run (no matter the system or setting) I have decided that merfolk are a combination of humanoid and dolphin, not fish (considering the tail orientation and movement). Then there also exists larger versions of giant+whale.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
DnD already has Sea and Ocean Giants? Just use them and add in a couple of spell-like abilities for lighting etc. You also have Merrow and Scrags on the aquatic giant roster

I use spellcasting Merrow alot in my Island based campaign

Richards

Legend
You might want to look at using a prehistoric armored fish, like the titanichthys or dunkleosteus, for the bottom half of your mer-giants - that would give them a distinctive look (and bump up their natural armor a bit as an added benefit).

Johnathan

jgsugden

Legend
Because the players have explicitly asked for this as something new and interesting in the Flooding World. It fits the setting and helps make it more unique. It has buy-in and engagement from the players from the get-go because they came up with it. Strong and incontestable reasons in my book.
Apologies. I did not mean to offend. When you said in your initial post that one player mentioned merfolk of different size and then that you then had the idea to make normal giants into merfolk giants, and that you had already made some decision, I did not realize you meant your players were already on board with this specific plan. In fact, from your initial description, it seemed pretty clearly to be you running with the idea on your own.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
FYI, despite what it says in the MM, merrow are actually aquatic ogres.
Which is so absolutely boring. "Oh, its an ogre but in the water"

Struth I don't actually think there was any Merrow artwork before 5E that actually did something interesting with them for the first time forever

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ventfolk. They live only in the deeps by volcanic vents, with the other weird creatures that also make their way without a shred of the light of the sun...

definate brings to mind The Brine (the giant crab people from the Aquaman movie) and of course the Karathan

Remove ads