• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Merged]3.5e Official DMG PrC List and Psion's "next trick" thread

bret

First Post
Technik4 said:

Horizon Walker:???

I agree with others, it sounds like a GateCrasher from Manual of the Planes. They get the Planar Survival ability (allows you to survive the normal conditions on a plane), which fits the fluff description given for Horizon Walker. It also sounds like a skill based character, which the GateCrasher is.

Psion

Adventurer
[3e revision] And for my next trick...

Newest update:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rs/20030408a

For the D&D 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide, the list of prestige classes has been expanded from six to sixteen. We previewed one of them last week -- the Mystic Theurge. This week, we offer a tiny peek at all sixteen.(Those marked with an * are the new ten.)

(...)

*Archmage: The highest art is magic -- often referred to as the Art. Its most advanced practitioners are frequently archmages, characters who bend spells in ways unavailable to other spellcasters. An archmage gains strange powers and the ability to alter spells in remarkable ways, but must sacrifice some of her spell capability in order to master these arcane secrets.

Aaargh!

Okay, unlike many of you, I don't feel the Theurge is massively overpowered (just slightly overpowered at high level.)

If there is anything I do feel is overpowered, it is the archmage. +6 to DC and Spell penetration rolls in exchange for 3 spell levels and feats that you were likely to have anyways is too much IMO.

Unless they toned down the class from FRCS, this is a bigger problem than the Theurge AFAIAC.

Voadam

Legend
That's the big question, are these revised or reprinted classes from 3.0? At least they will be in the srd and OGC.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Arcane Trickster: I hate these guys. I REALLY, REALLY hate these guys. The ability to do sneak attacks with a ready supply of spells is very annoying to me, ESPECIALLY if they put in the Elemental Orb spells from Tome and Blood, as I Expect they will.

Archmage: I don't see anything wrong with them, myself. They are not overpowered compared to Mystic Theurge, except by virtue of spell penetration. Most of their abilities are duplications of various feats such as elemental substitution, are they not?

Dragon Disciple: I hope they fix the size problems: Dragon Disciple really isn't worth what you put into it, as the Tome and Blood version stands.

Duelist: YEAH!

Eldritch Knight: Spellsword got a name change, did he?

Heirophant: I liked the PrC from the moment I saw it in Forgotten Realms. I look forward to it.

Red Wizard: nothing flashy, power wise. I look forward to it as an example.

Thaumaturgist: A summoner, huh? I would be glad to see a workable summoner, one whose critters stuck around slightly longer, and who didn't take an ENTIRE round to cast: Full-round action would have been just fine with me.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Have you looked at Sean Reynolds original version of Archmage? Much better IMO - rather than gaining spell advancement but sacrifice a high level spell for a power, it has no spell advancement (and no sacrifice). Most wizards would then take just one or two levels of Archmage for particular signature abilities rather than all five levels. Rather neat.

haiiro

First Post
Technik4 said:
What did I want to see?

A prc designed for a bard. A prc designed for a paladin. A prc designed for barbarians. A prc designed for druids.

That's a pretty good idea, particularly as it would provide solid examples for creating one's own PrCs with different classes in mind. Still, I like the new list -- and the fact that there are lot more PrCs included than there were before.

I love the idea of the horizon walker, and I agree with Olive and bret: it does sound very gatecrasher-like. Given that the gatecrasher is one of my favorite PrCs overall (great concept, nifty abilities, and great artwork!), I'm pretty stoked to see what the horizon walker turns out to be. :)

Psion

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
Have you looked at Sean Reynolds original version of Archmage? Much better IMO - rather than gaining spell advancement but sacrifice a high level spell for a power, it has no spell advancement (and no sacrifice). Most wizards would then take just one or two levels of Archmage for particular signature abilities rather than all five levels. Rather neat.

Are you talking about the one in the Pre-FRCS Living City document?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I think somewhere inbetwen SKR's version and the FR version is where it should be. I think a presitge class where most people only take a level or two with it is a bad prestige class. I think one where everyone wants to take it is just as bad.

As for the archmage in 3.5, I say lets wait. After the new imporved pit fiend you might need to have +6 in spell power to get any spell off at high levels. If the new imporved pit fiend is an exception to the rules of how they improved monsters, then it might be a bit much, but if higher SR and saves are the norm it might be needed.

Also the archmages pre-reqs aren't what you'd take normally. Skill focus in spellcraft, yeah I take that a lot. 2 spell focuses, one I frequently take 2 I've taken once. Considering the benefits it is still be too light on the pre-reqs but they aint light in general.

Remove ads