Merry Gregorian Christmas!

Goodsport

Explorer
Merry Gregorian Christmas, everyone!
sleighsanta.gif

-G

Where's that if you don't mind me asking?
Oh, I live in the state of Georgia, and am a member of the OCA, so our holidays are done according to Gregorian tradition…mostly (Pascha (Easter) is a movable feast, celebrated after Passover, so it’s different every year).

Christmas (Nativity) is celebrated on the Julian calendar in Russia, Georgia, Ukraine (at least, it was), and a good number of other Eastern European countries. Pretty sure many of the Non-Chalcedonian Orthodox also celebrate according to the Julian calendar.

I have American friends who are members of other local churches (GOArch, RoCOR, Antiochian), and the Russian friends (not all are Russian Federation descendents, but countries that were part of the empire) celebrate on Julian.

One of the neat things after I converted was learning about all the different traditions around Christmas holidays. Many countries that were formerly part of the Russian empire, for example, have a 12 dish meal right before Christmas, which has this AMAZING spicy mushroom soup/dish (depending upon how it was prepared). I made that once, and oh my goodness was it delicious, and HOT.

I like learning about other cultures and customs, so this was a bonus for me.

Remove ads