S Rozhdestvom Hristovim!
santamerry.gif

Merry Julian Christmas today, everyone!
christmastreeblinking.gif

-G

aco175

Legend
Who is Julian Christmas?
I believe Julian was a pope and he 'fixed' the calendar to account for Leap Year. I gather people were not having Leap Years and the dates were being thrown off. He fixed it to more what we have now and this split eastern and western Christians and Orthodox to be the several days off.

Another quaint Middle Ages tradition we like to keep today.

briggart

Adventurer
I believe Julian was a pope and he 'fixed' the calendar to account for Leap Year. I gather people were not having Leap Years and the dates were being thrown off. He fixed it to more what we have now and this split eastern and western Christians and Orthodox to be the several days off.

Another quaint Middle Ages tradition we like to keep today.
Close, but not quite right. The Julian Calendar was introduced by Julius Caesar, to replace the old Roman Calendar which did not include leap years. In the Julian Calendar every fourth year is a leap year with 366 days, but in this way you overcorrect by about 1 day every 100 years. By the late Middle Ages, early Renaissance, the Julian Calendar was out of phase with the seasons by about acouple of weeks, so Pope Gregorius V (VI?) introduced a new reform of the calendar in which years that end in 00 are not leap years unless they are divisible by 400, which is what we still use today. When the Gregorian Calendar was introduced they also moved the date forward by a couple of weeks to resynch the calendar with the seasons.

Goodsport

Explorer
After church yesterday I returned home, got changed and went out to eat my traditional Christmas meal of the last few years: Chinese food. :D

I then got a Baskin Robbins milkshake as a Christmas dessert. :)

-G

Remove ads