D&D 5E messy's 5e newbie questions thread

18. where are the magic item creation rules? in the dmg?
There aren't any creation rules, so to speak, but there's some easy to access information to help get a good feel for how to do this.

In the DMG, page 128, there is a Downtime Activity for crafting magic items. While it doesn't help you, as a DM, choose what goes on a magic item, it does give you a guideline based on rarity, with a price for said magic items.

There is also a pdf out there called 'Sane Magic Item Prices' or something along the lines, with player rebalanced cost of magic items, weighted for function in combat.

On top of that, I'd recommend taking a look at D&D Beyond. Here, you can see other player made magic items. The ones that are horribly flawed or right-out don't get many positive reviews, so you can filter the types of player-created magic items, and try to compare your own efforts to create magic items. Also, the template to -make- magic items on D&D Beyond is pretty cool.

Overall, though, it's suggested to look at sample magic items that already exist, and try to gauge how your own compare.

This. I wish there was a more specific set of rules, but it really is just a set of guidelines and then you have to figure it out for yourself. On the other hand, though, this gives each gaming group the flexibility to figure out how it works best for them.

just stumbled on something that opens up a can of worms in the description for the herbalism kit:

doesn't this imply that other magic items, or at least potions, can be crafted? if so, don't we need prices for those items? if a character with an herbalism kit can create a potion of healing, then certainly he/she can create a potion of greater healing, but no price for it is given.

Yes, just like magical items. Once again, the guidelines are in the Downtime section.

messy

Explorer
72. is it safe to assume that any spell that does fire damage is capable of igniting combustibles, even if the spell description doesn't specifically say that it does (for example, produce flame, flame blade, and flame strike).

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
72. is it safe to assume that any spell that does fire damage is capable of igniting combustibles, even if the spell description doesn't specifically say that it does (for example, produce flame, flame blade, and flame strike).
No. Fire damage is a type, but it may not be being actually touched by flame. Example, if I'm tossed into an oven set at 200 degrees F, I'm going to be taking fire damage, but nothing will catch on fire.

Harzel

Adventurer
No. Fire damage is a type, but it may not be being actually touched by flame. Example, if I'm tossed into an oven set at 200 degrees F, I'm going to be taking fire damage, but nothing will catch on fire.

I agree the answer is "no, it is not safe to assume that", but different substances do ignite at different temperatures. True, most stuff will not ignite at 200 degrees F, but some substances, e.g. phosphorus, will.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I agree the answer is "no, it is not safe to assume that", but different substances do ignite at different temperatures. True, most stuff will not ignite at 200 degrees F, but some substances, e.g. phosphorus, will.
Often play with phosphorus lying around, do you? ;) That really seems like an environmental special rule rather than anything that needs to be addressed in the general rules.

Harzel

Adventurer

I think this is pretty much entirely a DM call. First of all, though, note that the meaning of 'combustible' can vary somewhat, depending on to what extent you think it means 'easy to ignite' as opposed to just 'burnable'. That said, I just try to think in very rough terms about how hot I think the flame is, how long it is in contact with the item/substance in question, and how easy, more or less, the item is to ignite (which comes down to how hot it has to be and its heat capacity).

On one end of the spectrum, the flame from produce flame "harms neither you nor your equipment" and continual flame "produces no heat". I kinda don't think those are going to ignite anything.

Highly damaging but brief fires, such as flame strike or fireball, will certainly char paper or very thin wood, and might set it ablaze; however, because they are so brief, thicker wood or cloth would be lightly charred or singed. For oil, it depends on what you think 'oil' is in your world: if you think it is like kerosene, then it probably ignites; if you think it is more like a heavy fuel oil, whale oil, or vegetable oil, then (IMO) probably not.

Something like flame blade depends on how it is used. If it just strikes something, it might leave some soot, but probably won't set it on fire. But if you want to hold it against a piece of paper, kindling, or a torch - sure, it will set them on fire. I'd even let it work on something harder like a piece of coal, if you were patient.

Several spells specifically refer to their effect on 'flammable' objects. Personally, I don't think this adds much since it just moves the question to what materials you consider 'flammable'.

Harzel

Adventurer
Often play with phosphorus lying around, do you? ;) That really seems like an environmental special rule rather than anything that needs to be addressed in the general rules.

I like to always have a handy "go to" for failed ability checks. You failed that Intelligence(Arcana) check? Well, the heat from your overworked brain causes the white phosphorus that you were unknowingly carrying in your backpack to ignite!

Also, I meant to add that I did not intend to imply that you, personally, were composed of phosphorus, or any other substance that might ignite during your (hopefully) hypothetical sojourn in the oven.

More seriously, it was an extreme example just to underscore the notion that it depends on the nature of materials in question, which, to my mind, means that you shouldn't address any of it with a general rule.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
I went through to find spells that can heal undead or constructs. They are Aura of Life, Aura of Vitality, Goodberry, Life Transference, Regenerate, Revivify (technically), and, of course, Wish.

As well as an undead/construct casting Vampiric Touch.

And an undead/construct could expend Hit Dice to regain HP during a short rest (as well as gain bonuses to this from abilities like Song of Rest).

Plus, the Shepherd Druid's Unicorn Spirit can heal friendly undead/constructs.

Last edited:

Fenris447

Explorer
As well as an undead/construct casting Vampiric Touch.

And an undead/construct could expend Hit Dice to regain HP during a short rest (as well as gain bonuses to this from abilities like Song of Rest).

Plus, the Shepherd Druid's Unicorn Spirit can heal friendly undead/constructs.

TIL That the Shepherd Druid has a Unicorn Spirit.

I was trying to answer from the perspective of a Humanoid player character. But you're definitely correct that there are a number of self-healing spells that, if cast by a Construct or Undead, could heal them.

Remove ads