D&D 5E messy's 5e newbie questions thread

delph

Explorer
Looks possible to me - at least theoretically. Of course, if that target realized he was hit much harder (ie sneak attacked) before, he's probably well advised to move out of sneak attackability before he attacked the rogue back.

PH 197 basically says resistance is applied before vulnerability. So I'd apply the immunity first and 2x0=0.
thanks

81. Haste and rogue - can hastened rogue say: I use "haste action" as attack and my "normal attack" as a reaction "when he attacks me, I attack him" and get 2 sneak attacks this way?

Yes. They can always take the Ready action with their (normal) action, to do anything they could do with their action with their reaction after a stated trigger. That trigger and action combo certainly qualifies, given that it is one of the ones people most commonly ready (usually when someone doesn't know for sure the target is going to get violent yet, but here it works in the middle of combat as well). Readying their action has no effect on what they do with the special haste action, which they can then use to make an attack. If both the Haste action attack and the reaction attack are taken, if both hit, and if the conditions enabling sneak attack damage are in effect at both times then the Rogue can squeeze a second set of sneak attack damage into the same round.

The major downsides are that if the reaction doesn't trigger then the action is lost, if it does trigger but there is no longer a source of advantage, an ally within 5 feet, or some other condition that enables sneak attack at the earliest moment the trigger comes then the attack won't get sneak attack, and that the Rogue will have to use a reaction they may very much wish they had for Uncanny Dodge a moment later. There is also the possibility that whomever is concentrating on the Haste spell will lose concentration in the intervening turns and the Rogue will be immobilized when their held action triggers.

82. Can I leap at end of my move, to get few feet more? Or I have to leap only to distance I can go?
By RAW, distance you jump counts out of your movement.

I find this rule is frequently ignored at most tables in those situations where there is an actual reason to be long jumping because it frequently produces unnatural results like people being unable to jump after getting too long of a running start or having to rule that the turn ends with them midair, but I suspect there is no faster way to get a DM to start rigidly enforcing that jump distance counts as movement than to try to cheese extra movement through a lot of gratuitous jumping.

MarkB

Legend
By RAW, distance you jump counts out of your movement.

I find this rule is frequently ignored at most tables in those situations where there is an actual reason to be long jumping because it frequently produces unnatural results like people being unable to jump after getting too long of a running start or having to rule that the turn ends with them midair, but I suspect there is no faster way to get a DM to start rigidly enforcing that jump distance counts as movement than to try to cheese extra movement through a lot of gratuitous jumping.
In that case, if you leap at the end of your move, do you end your turn in mid-air and continue your leap on your next turn?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
In that case, if you leap at the end of your move, do you end your turn in mid-air and continue your leap on your next turn?
Absolutely. It's a great way to cross a chasm. The first character runs and jumps and stops midair. Then the second character jumps onto them, and jumps further, stopping in midair. Repeat until you have a bridge of midair, floating characters. Now the first character completes his jump, landing on the second character, and can easily hop across all his midair companions...

Honestly I'd say either don't allow the jump if they don't have the movement, or take the movement out of their next turn ("because of your jump last round, you only have 15 ft of movement this round.").

MarkB

Legend
Honestly I'd say either don't allow the jump if they don't have the movement, or take the movement out of their next turn ("because of your jump last round, you only have 15 ft of movement this round.").

No. If you are mid air at the end of you turn, you fall.
Well, that's fair - but it denies the DM the opportunity to do a classic Dukes of Hazzard freeze-frame narration.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
82. Can I leap at end of my move, to get few feet more? Or I have to leap only to distance I can go?
No, you generally can’t. Jump movement comes out of your movement rate, probably to prevent people cheesing some extra distance without paying for it.
If you’re in a situation in which a character needs to cover a run up and jump distance too far for their normal rate, such as clearing a substantial obstacle in combat, consider charging them a Dash action to increase their movement allowance to accommodate the distance. If they can’t spend the dash action, then they‘re SOL and need to figure something else out.
Outside of combat, accounting for the movement rate is never going to be necessary.

No, you generally can’t. Jump movement comes out of your movement rate, probably to prevent people cheesing some extra distance without paying for it.
If you’re in a situation in which a character needs to cover a run up and jump distance too far for their normal rate, such as clearing a substantial obstacle in combat, consider charging them a Dash action to increase their movement allowance to accommodate the distance. If they can’t spend the dash action, then they‘re SOL and need to figure something else out.
Outside of combat, accounting for the movement rate is never going to be necessary.
There is also the classic athletics check.

Remove ads