• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metahuman College-Issue one: College bound [IC]

Calinon

First Post
"So how many students do you think will be there? And when do classes start? I can be ready pretty much in a few days if needed. I think mother has already packed my bags," she says with a smile.

Dark Nemesis

First Post
-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

When James exhibits discomfort after deactivating his powers, Mr. Bell leans forward, a look of concern upon his face. “I say, are you well?”

“That is quite all right. My friend, William Pike, rather has a flair for the mysterious, so I can understand how an invitation such as that one would make one suspicious.” He smiles faintly at James’ words, before slowly reaching into a desk drawer. He withdrew a brochure, bearing a picture on the cover of a stately castle surrounded by forests. “This, sir, is Greenwood Academy. It has been in existence for over a century, though recently Mr. Pike decided to expand the school to include a curriculum intended for metahuman students. The scholarship includes room and board, meals and tuition, though we do have some unusual requests for prospective students.”

(OOC: After a Sense Motive vs. Bluff check, James has no reason to believe that Mr. Bell is lying to him.)

-Watching Cloud Rice
Madison Public Library
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

“I apologize that the invitation was so vague, but I thought it would be best to word it in a manner that only you would understand the context. I feel the details would be better discussed in person.” He moved over to the door and shut it behind him, before moving to stand beside a chair at the table. He would wait until Cloud sat down before he took his seat. Then, reaching into his briefcase, he retrieved a color brochure. On the cover was a picture of a castle, and the pages within contained descriptions and pictures of the grounds and the dorms.

“Greenwood Academy was founded over a century, Miss Rice, though we only recently expanded our curriculum to include metahuman students. As far as I know it is the first program of its kind. Students in the metahuman curriculum attend some students with regular students, but they will also have access to programs devoted to helping them to learn more about their powers.”

-Maxwell Helmdig
Aynor, South Carolina
August 2, 2003

The meteorite continues to melt; the liquid evaporating not long after it hit the ground. It takes a few minutes, but Max is finally able to see what it was that had been encased in the crystalline substance. It appeared to be a teenage girl. She had shoulder length red hair with blonde streaks in it, and pale skin. She was clad in a form fitting black outfit, trimmed with black and gold. At the moment, she appeared to be sleeping.

-Mai Hoshiko
Aug. 2, 2003
Tokyo, Japan

“At present, we are expecting about 150 metahuman students. However, we also offer classes to students without powers, and there are about 600 of them. Unfortunately, our metahuman program is still something of a secret, so the scholarship depends your maintaining the secrecy.” Mr. Bell concluded. “Orientation will take place on Monday, August 11.”

Ken, meanwhile, was examining his brochure, but when Mr. Bell speaks of secrecy, he looks at Hoshiko with a confused expression.

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Madison Public Library
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

Cloud looks over the brochure and is intrigued. She is also cautious, however. Why would a school start a program for metahumans? What's in it for them? Could someone else with ulterior motives be behind this?

When Mr. Bell pauses, she speaks up. "Well," she says, "I'm flattered that you're interested in me and I'll admit that I'm eager to learn more about the Academy. You must understand, however, that I'm a bit hesitant. I don't know how your school found out about me or my abilities, I don't know anything about the program, and I feel uncomfortable committing to something this big until I know more.

"How recently has your program expanded to include metahumans? And would it be possible to arrange a tour of the school and speak with some of the other students and faculty?"

Synchronicity

First Post
Dark Nemesis said:
-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

When James exhibits discomfort after deactivating his powers, Mr. Bell leans forward, a look of concern upon his face. “I say, are you well?”

“That is quite all right. My friend, William Pike, rather has a flair for the mysterious, so I can understand how an invitation such as that one would make one suspicious.” He smiles faintly at James’ words, before slowly reaching into a desk drawer. He withdrew a brochure, bearing a picture on the cover of a stately castle surrounded by forests. “This, sir, is Greenwood Academy. It has been in existence for over a century, though recently Mr. Pike decided to expand the school to include a curriculum intended for metahuman students. The scholarship includes room and board, meals and tuition, though we do have some unusual requests for prospective students.”

James nods in response to Mr Bell's question.

"I'm alright. I just get..headaches sometimes.

James flips through the brochure briefly, looking for the location of the academy and anything else of interest, until Bell's last statement catches his attention.

"Unusual requests? Such as what? And come to think of it, is there any particular reason Mr Pike decided to create a metahuman curriculum recently? It's not exactly a normal thing for an academy to offer."

James seems a lot friendlier now, genuinely curious rather than suspicious.
'This place looks..well, wow. Never been to a stately home before..let alone one which is an academy.'

Last edited:

dmcfee

First Post
Maxwell Helmdig

"Hello. Time to wake up and say hi." Max says as he gentley judges the girl in the crater. "At least don't turn into a scarey monster who tries to bite my face off."

As he continues to try to wake her, Max glances around the crater to see if there is anything else left by the meteor.

"Come on, wake up! I don't want to have to carry you back to the car."

Calinon

First Post
"Oh, no worries there Mister Bell. I wouldn't dream of discussing any of this with anyone," she says, blushing slightly at Ken's confused look but trying not to look at him directly. "Um, so how do we get there? Isn't it in Great Britain?" she asks, trying to quickly change the subject.

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
JOnn Birkey (Rumble)

University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

Jonn started to feel a little foolish, standing around with a bunch of concerned people, since the woman who came out of the hall seemed like everything was normal. Maybe this kind of stuff happens all the time at college. But, then why did these guys come to check it out?

"Sorry miss. I guess the big iron gate slamming down kind of startled me. Thought maybe there was a fire or some kind of emergency from all the commotion. Didn't mean to cause any trouble."

He checked the reaction of the other two guys to see if they looked like they were going to just leave it alone or push the issue.

Last edited:

Dark Nemesis

First Post
-Watching Cloud Rice
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

“Certainly, Miss Rice. I understand your concern,” Mr. Bell said, offering her a small smile. “Adding the metahuman curriculum has been a project that we have been working on for about five years. It is only now at a stage in which we can begin inviting students to participate. As far as touring our facilities, you and your family are most welcome to do so. There will be an open house taking place for prospective students, to take place on August 11. I apologize that it is such short notice but we are trying to start school on Spetember 1.”

-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

“Oh? I am very sorry to hear that, Mr. Dunbar,” Mr Bell said in reply, still looking a bit concerned about his ‘headaches’. But it appeared that James did not want to elaborate on the issue, so Bell did not pursue it.

“Mr. Pike is not himself a metahuman, but throughout his life, he has known many people who were. Many of them had difficulty in trying to learn more about their powers, and William sympathized with them. Now that he has the means, he is interested in helping other metahumans in ways that he could not help his former companions,” Mr. Bell smiled faintly as he told James this, caught up for a moment in a memory. After a moment’s pause, he continued. “What we primarily require from our students is that they maintain secrecy regarding our metahuman program. Several members of our faculty are of the opinion that we might attract unwanted attention, should it become public knowledge that the program exists.”

-Maxwell Helmdig
Aynor, South Carolina
August 2, 2003

After a few moments, the girl began to stir. At last, she opened her eyes, and looked around. Apparently, she was surprised by what she saw, because she quickly scrambled to her feet, looking around frantically. At last, she noticed Maxwell. “Who are you? Where am I?”

-Mai Hoshiko
Aug. 2, 2003
Tokyo, Japan

Ken looked curiously at Hoshiko once more, before realizing that Mr. Bell was looking at him. “Er… yeah, I would not tell anyone either,” Ken said at last.

“Excellent,” Mr. Bell replied, clearly pleased by their responses. “Actually, Mai-san, the school is in Ireland. If you are interested in attending the orientation, I am certain that we can arrange for transportation.”

-Marcus Stevens and Jonn Birkey
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

“Err… yes. What’s going on.…” She turned and looked at the metal door behind her, as if checking to see if it was still there. Sure enough, it was. “Well… I did not hear the whole story, but from the way people were talking, it sounded like one of the experiments escaped. I wasn’t working on that project, but I heard about it, and it sounded scary!” The girl made a face. “So… uh… can I hang out with you guys for awhile? Just until its been caught?”

Though she answered readily enough, there was something about her words that did not ring true with Marcus.

Rybaer

First Post
Madison Public Library
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

"Well, the Open House sounds like just the thing to answer a lot of my questions," Cloud says. "I do have a couple specific questions that might affect my decision to attend before I even get that far. First, what is tuition like and is there a scholarship program? Second, how did you find me? And third, is there a cost-effective way to get to the Open House? I'm not sure how much money my parents can scrounge up for something like that on short notice."

Not that I really want my father to come along, she thinks to herself. He'd probably be against it. And if the metahuman part of this comes out, I'd rather only Mom knows.

Calinon

First Post
"I definitely am!" Hoshiko says cheerfully. "And I really would appreciate if the school could help me get there. I don't think I've ever read much about Ireland. Maybe I'll catch a leprecaun," she jokes. "I can't wait to tell mother and father."

Remove ads