Metamagic Item Creation

Havokboy

First Post
This is my first attempt at writing a post to these message boards, so please excuse any faux pas in protocol.

I have a question concerning the use of metamagic feats in the creation of magic items, specifically potions and wands.

Can metamagicked (sic) spells be used in the creation of potions and scrolls? Does the fact that since metamagic feats move spells to a higher spell slot, restrict their use in the making of scrolls (up to 3rd-level spells) and wands (up to 4th-level spells)?

If there is no restriction, how do the enhanced spells effect the cost of item creation?

I am looking to have my cleric character specialize in the making of these items, so any advise would be appreciated.

Havokboy

First Post
Wrong Forum

Sorry, I knew I would do this incorrectly the first time!

Administrator please move this thread to the D&D Rules Forum, my mistake.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
No, you cannot go above the level of the item in question.

Creating a Wand of Empowered Fireballs requires using up 5th level spells. Since 5th is above 4th, you cannot do it.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Yes, and for example, a potion of extended Expeditious Retreat would last 6 rounds (3 for minimum 3rd level caster, another 3 for double duration). (I'm doing this from memory though, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Rav

dcollins

Explorer
Under "Magic Items and Metamagic Spells", PH p. 78: "Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell's higher, metamagic level."

Remove ads