• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Methods for Handing Out More Feats

kaomera

Explorer
zen_hydra said:
What other means could I use to supply my characters with more feats?
I'm rather fond of sneaking into my players' houses in the dead of night and secretly adding extra feats to their character sheets. Really livens up the game, I tell you!

GAAAHHH

First Post
I give an extra feat at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20. This feat can only be used for non-maximizing feats (no extra quick feat chains). This rounds out a character more and enables characters to take feats that they wouldn't normally, without weakening them.

Rabelais

First Post
Our group goes with a feat per level. We've abandoned all pretense of balance, and have gone with Gestalt as well.. It's kinda fun being a superhero.

catsclaw227

First Post
I give out an extra 1st level feat, ala Arcana Evolved, but I also give free feats at 5th, 10th and 15th level, but it can't be one that applies to a feat chain you are working on.

It looks like GAAAAAAH and I have similar ideas.

Particle_Man

Explorer
If you want to be extreme, you could have them start with every feat in the phb for which they meet the prerequisites, automatically gaining the other feats in the phb if and when they meet the prerequisites. In the case of "multiple use" feats (Weapon Focus, Toughness, etc.) they would only get one of it for free in this way.

Then the "regular" feat slots would be used exclusively for non-core feats, or for extra uses of phb feats like Toughness and Weapon Focus.

kaomera

Explorer
Particle_Man said:
If you want to be extreme, you could have them start with every feat in the phb for which they meet the prerequisites, automatically gaining the other feats in the phb if and when they meet the prerequisites. In the case of "multiple use" feats (Weapon Focus, Toughness, etc.) they would only get one of it for free in this way.

Then the "regular" feat slots would be used exclusively for non-core feats, or for extra uses of phb feats like Toughness and Weapon Focus.
Wow.

That's awesome! :cool:

More seriously, would "all the feats in the PHB" be balanced across the classes? I'm thinking it might be better to just make a big list of "base feats", especially since there's some stuff in other books that seems like it might fit there... (Or maybe not...)

FnordBear

First Post
In our campaign we decided that since there is already a feat that gives you 5 skill points then you may use 5 skill points to buy a feat

I working out pretty well acctualy, folk who buy lots of feats are balanced out by not being as skilled.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Here's an interesting house rule I remember reading on these boards some time ago:
You get extra feats for taking levels in your race's favored class. Just set the interval to how often you want to reward their racial tenacity. :)

Darklone

blargney the second said:
Here's an interesting house rule I remember reading on these boards some time ago:
You get extra feats for taking levels in your race's favored class. Just set the interval to how often you want to reward their racial tenacity. :)
That's a variation of the Conan d20 multiclassing rule.

One thing I forgot: With handing out extra feats at level 1, I found out it's a good idea not to allow feats that need other feats as prerequisites at level 1 (fighter bonus feats notwithstanding).

Remove ads