Middle Earth/LotR RPGing using Cortex+ Heroic

pemerton

Legend
Hey @pemerton — were you a Cortex Prime backer? Did you have a chance to read over the pre-release PDF of the Game Handbook?
No - I've heard of Cortex Prime (maybe from @Aldarc?) but don't know much about it.

I picked up the Civil War hardcover (that includes the OM) when I saw it in a games shop in Melbourne because I'm a Marvel fan from way back who had never done any supers RPGing before then (having no intrest in rating the Hulk vs the Thing on a super-strength chart), and I liked the look of your system. I then got the rest of the Cvil War pdfs and the Annihilation pdf and ran some Marvel.

A bit later I picked up the Hacker's Guide and used that to help set up a fantasy campaign that I posted about here. And then I started this Middle Earth game.

I know a little bit about the other versions of Cortex+ (Smallville, Leverage) but have never played them and haven't even done more than skim those bits of the Hacker's Guide. In the Cortex-verse I'm a bit of a one-trick pony!

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I know a little bit about the other versions of Cortex+ (Smallville, Leverage) but have never played them and haven't even done more than skim those bits of the Hacker's Guide. In the Cortex-verse I'm a bit of a one-trick pony!

Me, too. I've run a lot of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and a couple of fantasy hacks based on MHR, and I played a couple of Prime-based hacks... but I haven't done nearly as much with the system as I've wanted.

Aldarc

Legend
Hey @pemerton — were you a Cortex Prime backer? Did you have a chance to read over the pre-release PDF of the Game Handbook?
No - I've heard of Cortex Prime (maybe from @Aldarc?) but don't know much about it.
It's a gorgeous book that provides a lot of tools for making a custom Cortex game. It's similar to the Hacker's Guide, but it feels more cohesive and coherent in terms of presenting the various options.

If I was running a Middle Earth/LotR game, I would strongly consider adding Values as a possible trait set and have those tested as part of game play.

pemerton

Legend
We played another session of our Cortex+ Heroic LotR game.

We started with a Transition Scene. XP were spent - Nehar the Dunadan equipped himself with a dwarven sword (stepping up his weapon to D8), Dwalin stepped his Combat Expert specialty up to Combat Mastery, and Gandalf swapped Alone and Company affiliations (to give him Company D10) and also stepped his Mind Control up to D8.

Actions were also performed: Dwalin, alone, sang a song (Performance specialty) to help him recover his emotional stress; Gandalf failed to help Nehar recover his physical stress; Nehar himself was able to recover a little, down to d8 physical stress.

Mirenlea the Elf, who had been stressed out with Emotional Stress (ie wrath and grief) in the previos session, was nowhere to be found (ie we only had 3 players).

I narrated that Gandalf and Nehar could hear Dwalin's singing. Dwalin was happy to be reunited with them - his Alone Affiliation being D6 - and Nehar was happy to join up again despite his Company Affiliation being D10 and his Company D6 - and so I told Nehar that a D6 effect die on an attempt to rejoin the 3 PCs would be enough. So this was the first action of a new Action Scene, and succeeded.

Once they rejoined, Gandalf decided that he would lead them deeper into Moria to find the veins of mithril to try and reforge Dwalin's armour (which had been rusted by Saruman in the previous session). He succeeded in establishing a D12 Mithril asset. I can't remember what Dwalin tried to do, but in any event around now I introduced an Unearthly Heat Scene Distinction, and not long after a Drums in the Deep Scene Distinction. By activating an opportunity on one of my rolls, Gandalf was able to establish a D6 Dwarven Forges Resource.

And the PCs were attacked by a Troll.

Dwalin took the first action, so that he could get an XP for leading the charge. His attack failed, and instead he took a D12 complication as his arm was shocked by the collision with the scaled hide of the Troll (which lets it inflict the effect from a successful reaction against a hand-to-hand weapon attack as a weapon-related compliction).

Nehar attacked next, but also failed, ending up with a D8 Notched Blade complication.

Gandalf decided that the only option was to try and take advantage of the mithril, and the forge, to place a blessing on Nehar's sword. This action was a great success, generating three effects: a D12 Blessed by the Ainur Asset for Nehar (which also earned Gandalf 3 XP), and elimination of his notched blade complication, and Gandalf also removed his own physical stress as the power coursed through him.

The Troll then attacked, being able to attack all three PCs (Breaking upon their lines like a storm SFX) and stepping up physical stress inflicted (Beat upon helm and headSFX). Gandalf and Dwalin suffered d10 physical stress. But not only was Nehar able to defend himself (buffed by Gandalf's blessing), he spent a plot point to inflict his D10 effect die as physical stress against the Troll. I stepped it up to grow the Doom Pool (Black Blood limit: step up physical stress resulting from a magic blade to grow the Doom Pool), so the Troll now had D12 physical stress.

The Troll passed the action to itself at the top of the next action order, and I decided that it would try to retreat. Dwalin was determined that it wouldn't, and so I checked against him. I got a d10 effect die, which I was planning to use to add a new Awaken that which Lurks in the Deeps Scene Distinction, but the Dwalin succeeded on his reaction and was able to spend a point to inflict physical stress with is reaction, which defeated the Troll and also earned 10 XP for defeating a superior foe.

That was the end of this Action Scene, and we moved to another Transition Scene. Dwalin spent XP to step his armour (Enhanced Durability) up to D10 (Superhuman Durability) but it was still shut down. And his attempt to recover it failed, as he was rolling against a Doom Pool that had grown to 5D10.

Gandalf spent his remaining XP to further step up his Mind Control, to D10 - in this version of MIddle Earth it seems that he, as much as Saruman, is a threat to the free peoples. And he successfully recovered his phyiscal stress.

Nehar decided to try and find a path out (ie creating an Asset) but failed on the check, and I inflicted D10 mental stress to reflect this (influenced by Gandalf's player narrating Nehar's realisation that there's no way out).

So when the Action Scene commenced I established that the Unearthly Heat and the Drums in the Deep were continuing, but now there was also a Lost in the Pits of Moria Scene Distinction. At least the Doom Pool was down to 3D10 due to my spends during the Transition Scene to maintain the Moria pressure.

I decided that Gandlaf, as leader of the company, would start at the top of the next Action Scene. He tried to use his Sorcery and Lore Mastery to create a map that woudl guide the group out of Moria, but this too failed. When I spent a die from the Doom Pool to inflict D10 mental stress he used his Subtle but quick to anger SFX to change it to emotional stress instead, worried that mental stress was a liability if trying to leverage mind control.

He passed to Nehar, who finally succeeded on a check to try and eliminate the Lost in the Pits of Moria distinction. This was not a complete success, but did step it down from D8 to D6. Nehar then decided to pass to my (as yet unspecified) NPCs, whom Dwalin's player conjecturd were Orcs.

This conjecture was correct, and so I didn't add any sort of advantage for an ambush (ie using Nehar's mental stress against him). The Orc Chieftain attacked Nehar but the latter was able to successfully defend himself. And that is where we left things - with the Orc Chieftain's underlings (a 3D6 mob of Orcs) and Dwalin still to act.

The Doom Pool is 2D10. Nehar has D10 mental and D6 phyical stress. Gandalf has D10 emotional and D4 mental stress (the latter was D8 at the start of today's session but has stepped down due to two Transition Scenes)/ Dwalin has D8 physical stress and still has not recovered his armour.

We were playing via Zoom, using a dice rolling page with shared screens to manage and resolve dice pools. This was not ideal from the point of view of play speed, and we didn't get through as much fiction as I would have liked. But it was good to play!

aramis erak

Legend
To answer the question about TOR... perhaps a bit more accurately.

TOR presumes many tasks are put forth from a patron to the party. It works just fine without that if players have the urge to wander.

It's not really a Trad game, tho'...
trad games generally don't have points with which to modify rolls, TOR does.
Trad games generally make extensive use of range rules; TOR only tracks range for turn 1.
Tradgames, as a generality, have strong archetypes with wide effect. (Classes are a far end of that.) TOR's archetypes mostly determine how one goes mad from shadow.

it lacks scene traits, but characters do have traits - which allow auto-success without experience, or allow marking success towards advancement if not used for autosuccess.
Combat is fairly abstracted, and doesn't track physical position, but is still iterative rolls to do X... but it does track which combat stance one is in.

The skill resolution is 1d12 & (skill)d6, vs a target number by difficulty. Quality of success is NOT the amount over, but the number of 6's rolled - 0, 1, or ≥2 of them.
Armor negates wounding hits if it's tough enough, via a task-like roll on the weapon's armor. Non-wounding hits do damage to Endurance, and thus hasten exhaustion.

I can see using MHR as a basic system, but I like TOR just fine.

pemerton

Legend
This post is not about Cortex+ Heroic in particular. But I found some old posts of mine about "no myth" LotR RPGing, and wanted to stick it here so I can easily find it again:
For instance, imagine how a RPG session played "story now" might actually produce the Moria sequence.

<snip>

One PC has, as a goal (whether formally established, in the manner of a BW Belief or a Cortex+ Heroic Mileston, or informally flagged as it might be in 4e) I will meet my cousin Balin in Khazad Dum.

Another has the goal "Having escaped from Saruman [in an earlier episode of play], I will thwart his desire for the ring." And also has the character descriptor (again, in BW this would be a Belief, in Cortex+ Heroic a trait, in 4e it might be an element of a theme or paragon path) "I am a wielder of the Secret Fire!"

A third has the goal "I will show that I am fit to be king, and leader of the Free Peoples".

A fourth has the descriptor "I am an elf of the woodlands, a peerless traveller".

(For the present, I ignore the hobbits and Boromir. The journey through Moria is not such an important part of their stories.)

Through whatever mechanism is being used (eg in BW it would most likely be an Orienteering check; in 4e it would probably be a Nature check in the context of a skill challenge), the players fail a check that corresponds to their safe travel from Eregion into the Vales of Anduin. The GM narrates, as the consequence for failure, that the Mountains steand before them as a significant obstacle.

The next thing that occurs in play is that it is established - the method is something I'll elaborate on - that the PCs know of two ways to get to the other side: the Path of Caradhras, or the Mines of Moria.

There are multiple ways this might be established, depending on system, mood, whim, etc. Eg the players might declare knowledge-type checks; the GM might just tell the players; etc.

Let's suppose, for the sake of this example, that it unfolds in the following way.

To begin, let's take it that it's already established in the fiction that Moria is known to offer a path under the mountains (eg this seems implicit in one PC's established goal). Gandalf's player then declares an Ancient History check, with a buff from Legolas, to establish some useful bit of knoweldge about the mines. But the check fails - and so instead (the GM explains) Gandalf and Legolas recalls that there is terrible danger in Moria, awoken by the dwarven miners. (The GM is getting ready here to play with Legola's identification as an elf, with Gandalf's identification as a wielder of the Secret Fire, and with Gimli's goal to visit Balin in Moria.)

Gandalf, therefore, cautions another way. The GM calls for another check (in 4e it would be Nature; in BW it might be Mist Mountains-wise). Again, it fails, and the GM narrates, "You know of the Pass of Caradhras, but the snow seems to have set in early this year. It will be hard going." (In Dungwon World that's what they call a "soft" GM move.) Aragorn's player advocates for passage through Moria, but Gandalf's player encourages the group to take the pass. In BW, this could be resolved as Duel of Wits between the two PCs (which would obviously implicate Aragorn's Belief about leadership); 4e doesn't have a comparable mechanic. In any event, the group resolves to take the pass.
The players then make a group Athletics or Endurance check (maybe both, maybe one, depending on system and what the GM calls for), but it fails, and the GM narrates the snow all around. And, picking up on Gandalf's character elements about Saruman and about the Secret Fire, adds in a hint of magicsal malice to the description. Gandalf's player, playing the fiction in the sort of fashion that [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] has talked about upthread, declares an Arcana check in response to try and tame the storm. This also fails, and the GM informs the players "Your hobbits will die unless you turn back." So the players decide that the party turns back. Now they have to try Moria.

Free narration gets us to the west gate, but the GM describes it as closed. A failed History check by Gandalf's player is narrated as him not knowing the password. Frodo's player offers an after-the-fact augment (in our 4e game that is acceptable if an action point is spent), but the success comes at a cost: the watcher stirs and attacks the PCs. There are different ways to do success at a cost - in BW, it is one way of establishing "fail forward" narration; in 4e, it could similarly be part of the narration of a skill challenge.

The PCs retreat into the mines without defeating the watcher, leaving it free to block the door behind them. Gimili's player then makes a Circles check (in BW) or perhaps a Diplomacy check (in 4e) to make contact with the dwarven colony. But this check also fails, and so the GM narrrates an undesired consequence instead - the dwarves are dead, killed by orcs with drums in the deep! (This narration plays on the Belief written for Gimili, and also is another "soft" move that cumulates with the earlier one establishing the danger in Moria.)

It is now clear that Moria is inhabited by bad things, and so the players declare, or the GM calls for, a group Stealth check as the party crosses to the east. The player of Pippin fails, and the GM narrates this as him carelessly dropping something down a shaft. The drums start up! (Another "soft" move, that further ratchets up the stakes of failing in the attempt to travel through Moria.) But the group as a whole succeeds on the check, and so they aren't immediately attacked.

There are different ways to imagining the fight scene being framed. One is that another check - perhaps a Dungeoneering check, for successful navigation - is failed, and it is the "hard" move made by the GM in response. Alternatively, the GM just frames it as a consequence of what has already taken place, but - because the group Stealth check was on balance a success - allows the players the advantage of being attacked in a defensible position (a room with a door) rather than pinned in an open hallway.

The fight is a success for the PCs, although the GM is now pouring on the pressure, and Gandalf's player has him cast an Arcane Lock spell to hold the door against the implied hordes beyond. The spell is broken, though. There are different ways to imagine that happening. In 4e, the GM is free to have introduced a monster into the situation (in this case, a balrog) with a "spellbreaker" ability. In BW, this would more likely be the result of another failed check - perhaps not everyone succeeded on the Speed check to make it to the final bridge.

However exactly it comes about, the final scene of Moria is framed as the PCs trying to flee across the bridge while Gandalf holds off the balrog. In BW, Aragorn's player makes a Command check to break the hesitation the other PCs suffer from the balrog, so they are able to flee. (And this speaks directly to his leadership Belief, earning him a fate point.) In 4e, Aragorn is probably statted as a warlord or hybrid warlord, and uses some power to buff his allies' movement, so they are able to flee.

Neither BW nor 4e has a "pyrrhic victory" rule which would enable Gandalf's player to buff his attempt to hold off the balrog by risking his own life (but such a rule is not purely speculation - HeroQuest revised does have one, and Cortex+ Heroic has options in the neighbourhood). So we have to assume that Gandalf's "shatter" effect is subject to an interrupt from the balrog (which is part of the 4e mechanics; and in BW a lot of action resolution is simultaneous following blind declaration, so the balrog can declare "ensnare with whip" while Gandalf declares "shatter the bridge"). And so is dragged down even as the other PCs get away.

What does that example show?

First, it illustrates how important failures are in "story now" RPGing, as they generate the unwanted consequences that drive things forward in ways that are unexpected, in some sense undesired, and yet continue to speak to player-established concerns.

Second, and related, it reminds us how the trip through Moria is a story of failure upon failure - as Aragorn later laments. By my count (with fails and successes bolded in my account) there are at least 5 failures, interrupted only by a success with a cost, before the players eventually succeed at a combat. The final confrontation is then another success with a cost (ie Gandalf dies). It would be quite unlucky to get this happening in 4e, as 4e is quite a mathematically generous system. BW is capable of giving this sort of thing, though. It is mathematically pretty brutal.

Third, it shows how "no myth" works. From a bit of backstory and some Beliefs/descriptors, the participants at the table have all that they need to establish a setting with mountain passes, magically sealed gates, watchers in the water, orc-and-balrog infested halls where a dwarven colony has perished, etc. But at no point is any of that stuff pre-given: had Gimli's player's Circles check succeeded, for instance, then the fiction would have unfolded completely differently. The dwarves would have been able to guide them through Moria. Because of the earlier "soft" move in which the GM established that there is danger in Moria, some sort of check would still have been required - there's no real point speculating what sort of check, because we don't know how the ensuing interaction with the dwarven colonists would have gone. All we can say is that the story would have been very different.

<snip>

Failed checks is how, in "story now" RPGing, adverse consequences become part of the fiction. This is why PCs don't always get what they want; and why players' plans don't always work out. (It's not because they guessed wrong about what is in the GM's notes.) The imagined Moria recount shows how this can happen.
As Tolkien writes it, there is a lot of success in Rohan: Aragorn, Legolas and Gimili succeed in tracking the orcs, and succeed in finding a brooch (therefore ensuring that it is true, in the fiction, that the hobbits were still alive at that point), and succeed in befriend Eomer and getting horses from him, and succeed in finding signs of the hobbits where the orcs were burned, and succeed in meeting Gandalf. Gandalf and the hobbits succeed in activating the Ents. Gandalf then succeeds in activating Theoden and the Rohirrim, succceeds again in bringing Erkenbrand to Helm's Deep, and succeeds in besting Saruman on the steps of Isengard.

Failure at any of those points would produce exciting fiction. It would be different from what JRRT wrote. But that's the point of "story now" RPGing - to play to find out, rather than to be railroaded through the GM"s preconceived exciting story.
For Pippin's arc to happen in a RPG, here are the necessary things that have to occur:

After it is established (presumably via the mechanics), that Boromir, Pippin's protector, dies, it then has to be the case that (i) Pippin meets Denethor, Boromir's father, (ii) in circumstances where it makes sense to swear fealty to him, (iii) in circumstances where that fealty is called upon (eg a war), (iv) in circumstances which also lead Pippin to love the other son, Faramir (eg Faramir's leadership in said war), (v) with Denethor then going mad, such that (vi) fealty and love can come into conflict.

<snip>

to make the Pippin arc happen, the GM repeatedly would have to go where the action is. If the GM never frames Pippin into a meeting with Denethor; does not then establish an attack upon Minas Tirith as an element of framing; has Pippin's presence when Denethor tries to burn Farimir depend upon the outcomes of random rolls (say, a roll to see which soldier Denethor asks to accompany him), then the arc doesn't happen.

If the GM does all this and Pippin's player is not interested, then we have a fairly hard railroad. So for the above to work, Pippin's player has to signal some sort of agenda - eg, following Boromir's death, formally (as might happen in Burning Wheel) or informally (as might happen in 4e) signalling that I will repay the debt I owe to this man.

Last edited:

Remove ads