• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 2, Flight

Bobitron

Explorer
Shivering slightly, her body tring to warm her muscles in the cold water, Kaela clutches tightly to the log as they reach the dock. A wave of fear washes over her as the voice comes down and Herger releases his log. She locks her eyes on Aislinn's face as the ruse begins, praying a silent prayer that it works.

"Yes, I am long way from home," Valurel says to Bardin. "My fight against forces of darkness brought me from sheltering cover of forest home. Friends were killed, only I survived. My current companions are friends now. Among those who travel with us are two females, one a young girl. They are refugees from Caft. I know no other home than the Veradeen. I expect that Caft no longer exists."

Valurel falls silent and closes his eyes. He hopes that the giant has managed to keep Aislinn safe and wonders what has happened to the rest of his companions.

Hrothgar

First Post
Herger silently lets go of the log as he grips a slimy wooden pylon, his other arm wrapped about the diminutive Aislinn. The Giant's feet dangle in the swift river; even with his great size, Herger cannot touch the stony bed of the river. Above, hobnailed boots thud on the wooden planks. Herger watches the log that carried him down the river continue the journey without him. Grrr. Blasted rain. Must be flooding up north. I hope we don't have ta' clear out the debris on the river again. Har! Let them slaves do it! Thooo'! A long trail of spit glints in the torchlight as it descends, smacking the log floating downstream. Above, the sounds of hobnailed boots recede away from the wharf's edge. Breathing a sigh of relief, Herger waits for Kaela and Lodric. Assisting Aislinn to a crossbeam, Herger uses a free hand to steer Kaela's and Lodric's log away from the pylons and downstream. Kaela and Lodric both silently float under the wharf, grasping at pylons and crossbeams for support. With Lodric's assistance, Fallax remains quiet, although he does sputter uncomfortably loudly on occassion.

Time drags by slowly, the cold water numbing the Heroes to the bone. Aislinn begins to shiver uncontrollably and Fallax's strength is close to failing. Above, Lodric notices something move in the shadows. Slowly it descends the crossbeams of the wharf with practiced ease. The shadowy form, no bigger than a large child, detaches itself from a dark pylon. A raspy hiss is barely audible above the river's churning. Follow me! Silence! Blood Mother's above! Slowly the figure makes its way into the interior of the underbelly of the wharf, moving across crossbeams and stopping to make sure the Heroes are following.

Bardin nods silently, looking long at Valurel and Starhl. The legate Theiv would pay much to get his hands on you two. And your companions. Bardin's voice rumbles in his chest. Willing to pay more than what a couple of refugees are worth. You have something the Shadow desires. Or fears. Greater legates would never leave their power base of Theros Obsidia for trivial matters. Turning to the gnomes, Bardin speaks. Have the lookout keep a sharp eye. Their companions may yet make it. Bardin turns to look at the two Heroes. I pray so. For our sake.

Last edited:

maddmic

Explorer
Herger eyes the newcomer suspiciously, but nods. He then moves to allow Aislinn to be near Kaela. He motions for Lodric to go first and helps Fallax to move further into the wharfs interior. Herger finally begins to move towards the small person once he is certain that Lodric, Fallax, Kaela, and Aislinn are safely on their way.

Bobitron

Explorer
Eyes wide, Kaela watches the new arrival with some trepedation after the close call with the patrol. Stepping up to Aislinn and wrapping an arm firmly around her shoulders, she whispers in her ear. "We have to move, dearest. Come." She casts a glance at each of those present to make certain there are no problems before moving on.

Stepping up close to Herger, she touches his huge arm lightly and thanks him for the quick thinking. "I didn't know what to do. Thank you again, Herger."

Hrothgar

First Post
The Heroes follow the diminutive figure slowly, their own breath harsh and loud in their own ears. Trying to stay as silent as possible, the Heroes' progress is slowed substantially by Fallax and Aislinn, both fumbling over crossbeams or around slime-coated wooden pylons. At last the figure stops at a stone wall, almost imperceptible in the near-complete darkness. The Heroes wait impatiently in the darkness, standing in silty mud in waist high water. With a light thump and the sound of wood sliding on wood, the small figure motions the Heroes forward, its voice barely audible. Inside. Quickly. Quietly. Assisting the Heroes, the dark figure guides them to an aperture in the stone foundation of the Blue Sky Traders and into a dark room. Once inside, the sound of wood sliding against wood rasps in the darkness once more. Herger's hands touch the wood paneled ceiling, his head bowed in the small confines. Immediately, candlelight springs up in the room, illuminating several gnomes with crossbows aimed at the Heroes, one of which is Bardin, the gnome Lodric and Kaela encountered earlier. Standing at the Heroes side, pulling back a dark hood, stands another gnome, the Heroes guide through the underbelly of the wharf.

Bardin growls, 'Bout time you made here. I was beginnin' to think you did not understand my directions. Fallax moves forward to speak, a sneer across his face, but steps back after glancing up at Herger. Nearby, from a shadowy corner of the room, a bearded Erenlander stands up, Well. This is indeed a motley crew. A snow elf...and now a giant! The Erenlander stares in amazement at Herger. Bardin glances back at the Erenlander and snarls. This is Geoffrey Took, and he usually saves his remarks for pretty young women, not giants. Bardin looks at Kaela. But, the giant is not why you have been running, has it? Bardin's eyes lock on Aislinn, huddled next to Kaela and Herger. The Shadow searches for someone else. Something it fears... The gnome's voice trails off as his eyes suddenly take in the entire new arrivals. Motioning for the gnomes to lower their crossbows, Bardin takes a step forward. The name's Bardin, as if you didn't know. And I think we have some of your companions. Motioning a female gnome forward with a lit candle, Starhl and Valurel are illuminated along a shadowed wall, both resting on a bench. Starhl's chest and stomach are laced with blood and the Wolf lies under the bench beneath him.

Bardin motions to a bench while barking out several orders to the gnomes in the room. Sit and rest. We have clean water and smoked river fish for you. Torn, but dry and clean, blankets are brought to the Heroes to ward off the chill. Bardin and Geoffrey pull up stools near the Heroes. Waiting for the Heroes to settle themselves, Bardin speaks, the edge on his voice tempered, his gaze on Aislinn. The Northman and Erunsil said you were from Caft. How came you here and why? Who sent you to the Blue Sky Traders and where are you seeking to go?

Valurel nods tiredly to his companions. He gets up and walks over to them. "Good to see you all safe, especially you little one," he says, placing a hand on her head.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric takes off his boots, dumping the river water from them and wraps the blanket a little tighter about him. He glances about the room taking note of each of its occupants. He nods to Starhl and Valurel then turns to Bardin.

As you have said, the Shadow searches for someone. I know of Caft itself, but not what happened there, as I fell in with these others at Caer Beris. Lodric eyes go distant for a moment and he shivers as he is reminded of the ghosts of that place. A brave Dornish warrior named Svelgaut told us to seek the Blue Sky Traders. We do not know whether he and his companions still live or where they are, for they went a different path in the hopes of leading the Shadow's forces away from us. We have taken it upon ourselves to keep that which the Shadow seeks safe from its clutches. To that end we hope to journey south across the Pelluira to Baden's Bluff.

ooc: turning on all the charm. Diplomacy +7

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads