Midnight Chronicles

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
This is coming to sound promising. I'm hoping to see this get picked up by some network now and also get sold in iTunes. I'd gladly pay to buy each episode.

Does it appear that the main character (Mag Kiln) will be a constant in the series? Do they talk of his astirax (spirit animal that can sniff out magic and those that use magic)?

No mention (that I caught) of an "astirax." But yeah, Mag Kiln seems to be as much of a focus for the series (if not more) than any of the heroes. Obviously, that could change or prove misleading, given that this is a pilot episode, but that's certainly how it appears.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
I agree with all this, with a few differences.

I thought the script (characters speaking) was a little stiff.

And I want this now!:p
I was at one of the GenCon screenings.

First off, make no mistake. This is not a standalone movie; it's a pilot episode of a TV series. There is little if any resolution, with multiple plot strands left dangling, and even a "To be continued..." notation at the end. So if you were hoping to get hold of it as a movie unto itself, be warned; it doesn't stand alone.

However, if you judge it as what it is (a TV pilot), it's really pretty good. The acting and production values were surprisingly high in most instances, and most of the ongoing plotlines were more than interesting enough to draw my attention.

It's not perfect, of course. The fight choreography needs work, and the entire episode could stand to have a few minutes trimmed out in editing. But then, pilots are usually pretty rough, and I've yet to see a successful TV series that didn't dramatically improve after the first episode (or few).

It's certainly better than most Sci-Fi original programming, and if FFG can get actually get a company to take it to series, I'll be watching it.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
But yeah, Mag Kiln seems to be as much of a focus for the series (if not more) than any of the heroes. Obviously, that could change or prove misleading, given that this is a pilot episode, but that's certainly how it appears.

I find this entirely plausible for Midnight. Let's face it, in this world heroes are often blips that flare out quickly in the face of overwhelming odds and disadvantages. The story of a single legate and the multiple heroes he sees come and go would be very appropriate.

Remove ads