• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Midnight] Do yourself a favour!

Forcegypsy

First Post
Magic system portability -

Yes. IMO it is. They've opened up spellcasting to every basic class via a feat. However, only Channeler's will have the resources to really excel in that area. Your big flashy spells don't get thrown around at the early levels in the setting, but you can easily remove this for a game outside of the Midnight setting.

I am also a big fan of the Spell Damage mechanic. Essentially when you have exhausted your daily Spell Energy point total, your channeler can continue to cast at a price...Con. This is a personal bias, but I really like that danger/pushing the envelope feel for the magic in every campaign I run.

Check out the yahoo Midnight group for specific info.

Aaron2

Explorer
Re: Magic system portability -

Forcegypsy said:
I am also a big fan of the Spell Damage mechanic. Essentially when you have exhausted your daily Spell Energy point total, your channeler can continue to cast at a price...Con. This is a personal bias, but I really like that danger/pushing the envelope feel for the magic in every campaign I run.

Dangit, now I'm gonna have to buy this. I've been playing with a rule like this in D&D for about a year (although I changed CON to Str because I didn't want my players to die). I need to see how they did it.

Aaron

EarthsShadow

First Post
I love how they did Magic, and also how they changed how magic items and made them rare and wondrous. No more exchanging those two +1 swords for a +2 sword or something trivial like that.

Now any magic items are worth their true worth.

Plus, it says in the magic section that you can't even use magic missle until 7th level cuz of the school its in. Now that's just cool. Talking about making the very damaging spells rare.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
One of the things that I like best about Midnight is the fact that anyone can cast spells if they take the right feats (Magecraft and Spellcraft). This allows for some truly unique characters that help to define themselves-instead of being defined by just stereotypes (i.e. all fighters are big, strong and stupid). Also, the new races are pretty cool...

EarthsShadow

First Post
I like the new races also, especially the new hybrid races and how they fit into the world. Dworgs are cool.

And the addition of the Hero Paths is brilliant. I do have a question about those though. Are PC's the only ones to get a Heroic Path, or anybody that fights against the Shadow?

EarthsShadow

First Post
Oh they are going to be PC ONLY in my games...the PC's need all the help they can get.

Is there going to be a follow up adventure for after Crown of Shadows?

Remove ads