Critical Role Mighty Nien heads to Amazon Prime!

I am a fan of the livestreams, and came to accept both names in their original contexts. From the perspective of marketing their "all professional voice actors" gimmick in the early days of the livestream, Vox Machina was a solid name, even if said meta reference in Latin made no in-world sense. Mighty Nein was one of those stupid in-jokes that makes no particular sense but that you have a certain loyalty to if you were there for. But I still agree that as names to brand their cartoon shows with they are sub-optimal (even with a cool logo).

It was 300 Spartans. The perpetual failure to mention that there was also 700 Thespians, and a substantial number of the Spartans' quasi-slave heliots, who died just the same alongside them, does not change the number of Spartans which, to my recollection, the historical sources and other evidence generally agree on.
Vox Machina weren’t even that originally. Try out Super High Intensity Team and see how it feels.

teitan

Legend
This is the superior campaign! The characters were cool, the story was cool, the designs were cool. Wildemount was an interesting setting that Matt provided descriptions for that made everything come alive and the non-standard style D&D campaign actually work with the Kryn Dynasty/Dwendalian Empire war and it was dark, so dark. Very excited to see how they do this one.

Ugh. So much drama...
I think you actually nailed exactly why the equally valiant sacrifice of citizens of Thespiae at Thermopylae is almost never mentioned. Once your name is completely associated with one thing in historical memory, tough luck getting noticed for anything else.

At least the people of Lesbos get painted with a historical brush that has something (very tangentially) to do with them. The poet and actor Thespis wasn't even from Thespiae.

Stattick

Explorer
Also I want to go on record and say Vox Machina and The Mighty Nein are terrible names for groups, and this one is particularly bad because there appear to 7 of them!
There's 7 of them... well, that's one way of looking at it. But that misses the 8th member of the group, Frumpkin. And then there was that member that departed the group, and then a new member joining. If you count them both, plus Frumpkin, there are indeed 9 members of The Mighty Nein.

It was 300 Spartans. The perpetual failure to mention that there was also 700 Thespians, and a substantial number of the Spartans' quasi-slave heliots, who died just the same alongside them, does not change the number of Spartans which, to my recollection, the historical sources and other evidence generally agree on.
You have no idea how mad I got in Ancient History class when I found out I'd been lied to about this systematically for my entire life (admittedly I was all of 16/17)! It's one of the greatest "lies of omission" of history. I did hear someone finally put up a monument to the Thespians as well, actually at Thermopylae though, which makes me feel a tiny bit better. So I guess it's just the poor bloody Helots who are continuing to eat it! To be fair sources are less clear on their numbers/presence, but one can't help but feel some ancient Greek bigotry is at play there "Oh they're just slaves/serfs from that ethnicity which was here before our population wave came in!".
Well, you need understudies, stunt people, and the like to make a movie.
This is making me laugh a lot harder than it has any right to. Nearly got coffee up my nose!

Remove ads