• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour: The Warlord

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yes, it does come down to play style and it does depend on how willing DMs and players are at collaboration within sensible limits.
Unless you're casting a spell, then it does what it says in the spell description.
See the difference?

I do what's in my control: Play both games.

That seems like the most viable solution to me.
I happen to be doing so, but it's just finishing out Epic levels. Without ongoing support and a vibrant community, a system has little momentum, few sources for inspiration.
Besides, it's nice to support the current ed.

Zardnaar

Legend
May have been after my time. While I'd played 1e for 10 years, 2e lost me after about 5, so I missed the 'Player's Option' stuff beyond a quick read at the time. AD&D, though, in 15 years I was actively playing or DMing it, shattered at the least interruption of the source of Band-Aids.

It was the historical books although the players option books updated it.

Main problem with the PO books is the name. DM option they work well.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
It's a damn shame you are trotting out smartass remarks that were old 2 edition wars ago.

I wasn't involved in the edition wars. I played whichever game I wanted based on what kind of experience I was going for, just like I am now. So that remark is still funny to me. Sorry you didn't find it so.

outsider

First Post
I wasn't involved in the edition wars. I played whichever game I wanted based on what kind of experience I was going for, just like I am now. So that remark is still funny to me. Sorry you didn't find it so.

I lost my arm in the edition war. Stop giving me flashbacks! :p

Seriously though. We're in a thread talking about integrating a major feature from 4e into 5e. Telling me to go play 4e instead(which I do once in a while) is basically just telling me to STFU and leave the thread. It's not particularly funny, ignores the fact that I'm perfectly willing to look for a compromise, and I'm adding value to the thread. It's not like I'm running around every 5e thread, and crapping them up with talk about how 4e is better.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's not like finding players for older games is that hard. At least any harder than a normal player. Rock on up to an RPG tourney with AD&D people notice.

outsider

First Post
It's not like finding players for older games is that hard. At least any harder than a normal player. Rock on up to an RPG tourney with AD&D people notice.

Thanks for the unsolicited advice on how to find an AD&D group. Can we get back to talking about a major 4e feature theoretically getting added to 5e now?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I lost my arm in the edition war. Stop giving me flashbacks! :p

Seriously though. We're in a thread talking about integrating a major feature from 4e into 5e. Telling me to go play 4e instead(which I do once in a while) is basically just telling me to STFU and leave the thread. It's not particularly funny, ignores the fact that I'm perfectly willing to look for a compromise, and I'm adding value to the thread. It's not like I'm running around every 5e thread, and crapping them up with talk about how 4e is better.

That's fair enough. My suggestion, funny or not, was one that I employ myself, not just some 4e hater telling you to bug off. Because warlord is my favorite 4e class (especially lazy warlord hybrids), but I'm just not bothered by its exclusion. I'm not saying don't talk about implementation in 5e. I'm just saying if you miss Come and Get It or the like, it's not gone and also please invite me to your next 4e game.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Regarding 4e Come and Get.

Mearls is flirting with the concept in his warlord brainstorm, when referring to inducing the ‘charmed’ condition. He specifically means ‘confusing’ the hostile, tricking the hostile into attacking a fellow hostile, and so on. Moreorless, exploiting the fog of war.

So there seems room for negotiating the concept of Come and Get.

Remove ads