• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Mearls joins Chaosium as Executive Producer

kronovan

Adventurer
That doesn’t bode well for Chaosium. I’ll leave it at that, out of respect for all involved and of course this forum.
I'm aware of the controversy, but don't care to discuss or expand upon it either. With him making a fresh start with a new company, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and remain optimistic that he's learned from past mistakes.
Chaosium, for all that I love their products, have in the past often over-promised and under-delivered when it comes to production schedules. While they've been doing better lately, having Mearls who is experienced in that area certainly can't hurt.
Yes, this IMO was one of the strengths of Mearls being at the early helm of D&D 5e. I recall him insisting on a small staff and not over extending their capabilities/resources with a deluge of setting, companion and splat books. With so much published for 4e not selling well, that seemed like a wise approach. On the other hand, when WotC did its fan survey of exiting settings and it was apparent that others were favored as much or more than Forgotten Realms, he seemed to be one of the impediements to developing content for those.

I waited a long time for a revised CoC Dark Ages companion and the Cults book. I get it though - for the CoC line those 2 are niche products. Still, the wait for those at 5+ years was too long. That leads into one of my concerns with Mearls in this role - while I believe he'll help alleviate production schedule problems, I do have some concerns that his approach might lead to the lenghty delay, or the cancelling of non-core products. I hope that time will prove my concerns to be unwarranted.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I've been a vocal critic in the past. There's no doubt I will be a vocal critic in the future. Neither is a reason not to wish him and Chaosium the very best today, and hope for great things in the future.

It's a peach of a job, Mearls; congratulations and good luck.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads