Mike Mearls on stuff... (Tome Show interview from GenCon)

The Tome Show has a fascinating interview with WotC's Mike Mearls from Gen Con. He covered release schedules, licenses, conventions, errata, and more. He tells us that there has been an enormous influx of new players, and that the design philosophy is to "make fewer but bigger decisions." He also mentions that third party licence is still on the cards, but it's not what we expect (though I not sure what we allegedly expect!)

The Tome Show has a fascinating interview with WotC's Mike Mearls from Gen Con. He covered release schedules, licenses, conventions, errata, and more. He tells us that there has been an enormous influx of new players, and that the design philosophy is to "make fewer but bigger decisions." He also mentions that third party licence is still on the cards, but it's not what we expect (though I not sure what we allegedly expect!)
A few highlights:

* The release of two full levels 1-15 adventure paths within the first year of the new edition is very new for them. (Previously, only a few adventures would be released in the first year).

* Sword Coast Legends is the big release for Wizards coming up, which is very exciting for them.

* The slow release schedule is driven by Wizards' desire to learn what the players want and are using. If Wizards do something with D&D, it's driven by player feedback. They're starting smaller, because they've consistently seen that players weren't able to absorb the volume of information that was released in a short space of time.

* One of the effects of this is that DMs aren't being overwhelmed trying to stay on top of player options, although the PHB does support a lot of character types, with the subclass allowing a lot of unique mechanics; for instance, the mechanical difference between the Evoker and the Illusionist means both have something unique no-one else has.

* "Do fewer mechanics, but each of those mechanics having a much bigger effect on a character." "Make fewer but bigger decisions." There's a lot more variety within character classes.

* The game can become unmanageable with too many options; Organised Play has the idea of only one expansion book allowed per season, which is somewhat analogous to Magic: the Gathering set rotation. The designers will try to make things compatible, but "one expansion book per campaign" is likely to be a better way of balancing things and guarding against unforeseen combinations.

* They've seen a huge influx of brand new players. Mike thinks a lot of that is because, at launch, you could buy the Tyranny of Dragons campaign and just start playing.

* The feedback they've got from reading reviews on Amazon or on blogs is that instead of people just playing one or two sessions (as in the 3rd or 4th edition launch), Wizards are more consistently seeing that they're still playing Tyranny 3 months later. The utility of running the published campaigns is huge for people in their 40s with kids who don't have enough time to prep their homebrew games. So more people are playing, more people are playing more often, and because the accessibility is higher, we're getting a lot more younger people playing the game.

* There will be more generic options not tied to campaigns or settings. (Mike gave Psionics as an example). They're building the foundation for the game; getting a backlist that is very accessible, then later becoming more adventurous. They want to make sure a new player has the material they need before the expand too much.

* The way things get announced and the role of conventions has changed. They noticed that if they gave a seminar at PAX they'd get a much bigger turnout than at GenCon, so they're moving to announce things and give seminars at PAX, while GenCon is becoming a more gaming-based convention (the gaming is much less at PAX). So GenCon has (for example) the DDAL Epics... It's based very much on what people are actually doing at these conventions..

* Unfortunately, the D&D release schedule doesn't correspond very well with GenCon, especially when GenCon moves around so much in the month. And they don't have a booth selling product at GenCon because their emphasis is on game stores.

* They're paying a lot of attention to what people want - one advantage of the slower release schedule is they can do more analysis and more playtesting.

* There's more liking for sandbox than narrative adventures, but not by that much (55/45).

* Wizards won't use errata while Mike is there to fix something that is otherwise fine; only if something is horribly broken will they alter it. The idea is not to fix with errata, but give new alternatives instead.

* Mike's biggest regret is the fighter: the subclasses don't have the identity that the subclasses of other classes have. What's a battlemaster or a champion? They were so involved in the mechanics (for simple and complex fighters), that the names don't mean anything.

* The ranger (beastmaster) has issues - over 50% like the ranger, but the subclass has problems. The ranger lost its identity in 3E, because all its stuff could be done by other classes. (2E had a good identity). There may be a new version of the ranger in UA, but they encountered problems during the playtest with changing the flavour of a class (warlock, sorcerer - people liked the classes, but they didn't fit what they though the classes were, based on previous versions).

* The Player's Handbook might change, but only based on a lot of player feedback, because a revised version was popular.

* D&D Movie still has legal issues. Mike actively stays away from legal matters if he can do so!

* Hasbro has been really great; allowed the 2-year playtest of D&D. The CEO of Hasbro came to visit Wizards, and was very happy with what Wizards are doing with D&D, especially all the fan feedback/playtesting they've been getting. No other company could have gone two years without product to do the playtest. Hasbro's experience with Transformers has really shown them how a product can enter the mainstream. Hasbro are very hands-off with the decisions regarding D&D.

* D&D is a very stable business - a lot of fan speculation magnifies small events beyond what they warrant.

* Mike won't talk about the reduction in staff.

* Wizards collaborate with their partners on the products. If you like or don't like a product, Wizards had a hand in it.

* Studio partnerships evolved out of the freelancer system. Instead of going to a disparate number of freelancers, going to an established team of writers and editors.

* This also meant all material could be submitted at the same time, rather than just waiting on freelancers to finish their bit. So, they saw all of the player material at once for the SCAG; they also could make changes based on Player's Handbook feedback and then communicate them back to the studio. It's not without problems, due to the extra layer of communication, but it's been working well so far. It's one of a number of approaches they can use; it's not the only one. (The early adventures were worked on when they were still doing the core books, so it made more sense to have a studio handle them).

* The license for Fantasy Grounds is not exclusive, so potentially other platforms can license the content from them.

* The 3rd party license: The plans are big and complex. Mike is excited about it, but it's not ready yet. It's probably not what people are thinking of. One of the things they really wanted was for people to be very familiar with the rules before doing more material. (If someone tries to sell you something that ignores the concentration rule, they haven't played the game enough to be familiar with what the rule does, as its a very important balancing tool.)

There's a bit more, but that's the bulk of it!

Cheers!

Uchawi

First Post
It doesn't favour *some* players. Any player that prioritized the hobby and happily spends time buying regular books and reading through options isn't served. But more casual players that buy the occasional book aren't overwhelmed by options and content.
There's a lot of other things people can do other than reading RPG manuals and more competition for free time. Keeping up with content can feel like a chore.
It is a complex scenario overall and WOTC will have to find the right mix. I do not believe the current formula of releases is sufficient, but there are so many factors to consider, including whether the demand for the game (incoming revenue) indicates more content should be released.

madrivi

First Post
I'm just wondering if there will be any "official" 16-20 content for this edition.

Hear hear! My players are far from getting to level 15 but as a DM with little time to do some homework, some high level content could be greet with relief...

All in all, a great bunch of info :)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Hmm. Funnily enough, people disliked several of my fighter archetypes b/c they were 'rules only' (even though I had pointed that out) and missed the point I was trying to make that the fighter subclasses in the actual PHB are exactly that - they are not concepts/archetypes. You can build concepts (esp with battlemaster), but they are not on their own.

That is why I thought people might want some based upon other mechanics they liked in other games. But I also attempted some fighter subclasses that ARE concept-based, such as duelist and warmain. Anyway, I am just glad Mike pointed this out, b/c people obviously listen to him :D

I agree. I too struggled with the concept vs mechanics thing for fighters and that's why I never posted my own duelist.

That got me thinking about simple and complex fighter subclasses. If they did Prink a Knight or duelist martial archetype, would they have to make both simple and complat versions?

Simple knight
Complex knight
Simple brawler
Complex brawler
Simple gladiator
Complex gladiator

Or would they be covered just by making the flavor archetypes somewhere in the middle and have the champion and battle master go even more to the extreme ends? Like give the brawler 1 special, but maker the champion even more "I hit" and the battlemaster a ton of choices.

Bugleyman

First Post
Whats interesting is no one really complains about the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, which is on like the 6th printing and has had errata and small changes with most of them. But Wizards says there might be a few changes in the PHB at some point in the future and it gets blown out of proportion. I dont think it would be a new edition, or even a new .5 edition, just errata.

The Pathfinder Core Rulebook is a disaster that is very often discussed, even right on Paizo.com. Just because you aren't listening doesn't mean it isn't happening.

rets82

First Post
I am a 33 year old with kid who DMs a group of 5. We just finished ToD on Saturday the 1st of Aug. We play once a week for about 4-5 hours. We started in January so we are slower then 2 big adventures every year but that just means we will never wait for content. Cant wait to start PotA. I guess I should add that we do more then just what the books have in them if someone has a cool idea that pulls us off the path of the main story we go for it because whats D&D if not making up and doing fun stuff.

If they create an app store for third party content, then there won't be a license but everything else you mentioned would be possible.
Isn't that just DriveThurRPG? Not like there's many other sites. They already have a partnership (with the associated site DnDClassics.com). It'd be easy to change the terms of service to allow products tagged "5e" and using the new licence give WotC a percentage.
But they'd still need a licence.

Another option would be for people to submit their publications to WoTC, and then WoTC gives a "yes/no" response to it. And so they release guidelines for approval, rather than a license.
That would require WotC to read and approve every publication. That requires staff, which is expensive. It seems unlikely.

Remove ads

Remove ads