Mind Flayer Tentacle Extensions?

Vivictus

First Post
I could have sworn I have seen these somewhere in a 3E book, but I can't seem to find it. I thought it was in Savage Species, but I can't find it anywhere in that book. Can someone direct me to where I saw these please? Hopefully I'm not just imagining things. :p

shilsen

Adventurer
I can't think of something like that in SS, but I may have missed it. Are you perchance thinking of the chuul lasher, which a chuul can use to extend the reach of its paralyzing tentacles?

Vivictus

First Post
No, I know I saw the mind flayer ones somewhere. I know it wasn't the chuul lashers though. The picture is even vivid in my head. They were long hollow ropes basically with a blade on the end. I know for a fact they were in 2E somewhere, so maybe I am thinking of those, but I don't think so.

Vivictus

First Post
I know about that feat, but I am talking about a physical item that was listed somewhere. It was an extension that illithids used to grant a longer reach as well as a bladed attack. It would presumably allow greater grappling capability as well as causing more damage from the blades. I know for a fact it was in a 2E book (the illithid sourcebook. can't remember its name) but I thought I saw it recently in a 3E book. I am just going nuts trying to find out where.

Phasmus

First Post
Take a look at the cover-picture for the equipment section in Savage Species (page 41). An Illithid tentacle-extension is illustrated there. Perhaps that is where you recall seeing it? I was disappointed that they weren't included in the actual equipment listings... False advertising, that.

Vivictus

First Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I knew I had seen it somewhere. That kinda pisses me off that it's not included though. They shouldn't have an illistration showing it if they don't include it in there. Perhaps WotC will release an errata with it. Hopefully.

Blinja

First Post
I am super late to this party, so much so that I doubt anybody that has posted in it is still active, but happened upon this thread whilst at work, and had to get home to search. I know one of these items, and now I have its stats.

The book I'm referencing is Underdark, a Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Accessory, printed in October 2003, so a ways later than a book here anybody in this thread would have read.

Page 75. Tentacle Extension (Illithid): This item is designed for use by illithids, though any tentacled creature may use one. A single tentacle extension appears as a flexible, 5-foot length of iron composed of many thin iron threads. A razor-sharp blade is attached to the end, and a small duct runs through the length of the extension to convey an illithid's natural flesh-dissolving enzymes to the tip.
A tentacle extension grants the tentacled wearer a +2 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls made for that tentacle and increases its base damage die by one step. For illithids, this means that a tentacle attack with a tentacle extension deals base damage of 1d6 instead of 1d4 points. a tentacle extension increases its wearer's reach by 5 feet. A creature with multiple tentacles can wear multiple extensions, if desired.
Strong evocation and transmutation; CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor or Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, tentacled creature; Price 32,000 gp; Weight 2 lb.

Remove ads