D&D 5E Mines of Madness

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
In case you missed it, the new packet is up, and it has the Mines of Madness and level 3 pregens (no other changes).

I haven't read the whole thing, but the presentation is very attractive. The layout and graphic design are almost commercial quality, and the handouts and encounter worksheets are cool (I wish they pre-rolled the monster HD, though). What do you guys think?

Let's keep spoilery discussion within sblock tags. For example:

[sblock]Room 14 is nuts. Was that from the comic?[/sblock]

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I ran the adventure twice at PAXEast and it worked really, really well. Having multiple pathways to travel and meet up with each other meant that even when the party split up (accidently), they were still able to reconnect within a few minutes (on either side of the dwarven open face door, which made for a fun debate on which group traveled to the other).

There were just enough puzzles to keep the groups interested without bogging the adventure down... the traps were simple enough to figure out workarounds by clever players, but also simple enough that once they went off the effects were immediate and simple to adjudicate. And probably the best part of it was the fact that because D&DN combat is so quick and with bounded accuracy in place... rather extreme monsters could be found within the module that were able to be potentially fought, but were also able to completely obliterate the party in a matter of seconds. Thus giving a real sense of quick danger if you weren't really careful and didn't play smart.

Lots and lots of fun.

Kinak

First Post
It looks like a lot of fun, particularly the interconnectedness of the areas (both physically and with puzzles that tie the rooms together.)

The layout and graphic design are almost commercial quality, and the handouts and encounter worksheets are cool (I wish they pre-rolled the monster HD, though).
I had almost exactly the same thought, but wish they'd prerolled initiative.

Cheers!
Kinak

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
While its not suited for everyone, I thought it was a well made tournament adventure for its genre (location based deadly dungeon crawl) and quite funny read as well : )

I also found cool to get art in playtest adventure for a change, even if it was cartoonish. It meshes well with the theme and humorus feel IMO. One of the author draw cartoon afterall...

I also thought it introduced cool new monsters such as the Deathstalker, Iron Golem, Giant Bat, Piercer, Crypt Thing and Purple Worm.

Personally, im quite happy that WoTC and PvP agreed to hand it out to us as most convention material is not up for distribution.

26b05f96a7e58e4f1b240cd3d7b50bd2.jpg

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
IIRC the monster hps are listed on the pages with their stats on them. Could be wrong, though; IDHTPIFOM.

I meant generate a random number for each monster. Like back in the day when 4 orcs were "4 Orcs (hp 4, 3, 3, 2)."
I also thought it introduced cool new monsters such as the Deathstalker
[sblock]I think the Deathstalker should be capable of killing one or more PC in a single hit, just like the source material. It would be perfect for this super-lethal dungeon.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads