• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Mini] GW Ogre

Gizzard

First Post
Heres a mini I did a while back; he's a WHFB Ogre. I love the original sculpt, it has a ton of personality. Also, I took the pic before I filled out the base; dont worry - Mr. Ogre has plenty of nice static grass to sink his clawed toes into nowadays.

Attachments

• ogre1.jpg
    ogre1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 279

Gizzard

First Post
Well, I think you'll be disappointed in my tech, but here it goes anyway. ;-)

The camera is a Fuji FinePix 1400Z. Thats 1.3MPixels and a 3X optical zoom. My honey won it at the company xmas party, and its been good enough to me that I havent thought about replacing it. Especially for work thats going to be posted on the web, it doesnt seem that really high MPixel resolutions are necessary. The close-up mode is mandatory though.

I placed the figure on my carpet in the late afternoon and let sun stream through the window. I offset myself a little bit so I wouldnt cast any shadow, but I'd still catch as much of the straight-on light as I could. Nothing fancy. I do find that natural light makes a big difference; the biggest problem is that its sometimes too contrast-y on a bright day. Shooting from the same direction as the light minimizes this.

-edit-
Mmm, I found this today while browsing coolminiornot. Its another GW Ogre from the same sculptor. Its really nice to be able to look at someone else's take on (essentially) the same work. I think this painter beats me up on pretty much everything but the skin; I think I got him on the skin by a mile though. ;-)

Last edited:

Gizzard

First Post
Here's one more. I did this a while back, probably just as soon as the Reaper Bugbear pack came out. The Orc is an old Harlequin Orc which came in a 3-pack. I have about 8 of those guys which I bought when I DM'ed an Orc World campaign.

Anyway, the Orc is probably one of the first things I did when I got into the hobby; you can see that he's relatively flat in terms of detail. Basically, I painted him green and then gave him a wash to bring out some shadows. I also didnt really look at him in terms of a cohesive color scheme; his pants are dark green mostly because that was one color I hadnt used for some other Orcs pants yet. ;-)

I think with the Bugbear you can see the improvement in technique, though the dark red-brown and leathery black dont photograph as well as the green does detailwise. I think with every new figure I learn something about color and technique; theres definitely something to learn about working with browns rather than greens for skin tone.

-edit-
having trouble posting picture. will try back when boards are faster.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads