• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mini-Tiers and Generic Classes in the E6 game.

slwoyach

First Post
I was looking at the Unearthed Arcana generic classes and noticed something, they are absolutely perfect for E6 play. I’ve been trying to find a good multi-classing system for the system and had even dabbled in gestalt feats, but there’s no need when using generic classes. The reasons are two fold.

A) A spellcaster gains his most powerful spells at 6th level. If he steps away from his chosen field for even one level he will never gain his most powerful spells.

B) A warrior gains his second attack at 6th level, if he multi-classes he will never gain a second attack. This eliminates completely the broken ranger/fighter/paladin/knight/swashbuckler/samurai with his ridiculous saves while maintaining maximum BAB.

It also fits in nicely with the concept of “mini-tiers”. Under this concept the 6 level character is broken down into 3 tiers:

* Levels 1-2 (commoner). 90% of the population is level 2 or lower.
* Levels 3-4 (hero/master). 10% of the population is level 3 or 4. Only master wizards can gain access to 2nd level spells, the common hedge wizards that dot the landscape are limited to minor magics.
* Levels 5-6 (legend). 1% of the population is level 5 or 6. I may adjust these numbers, as this seems to make high level characters too common. Only legendary casters may ever master 3rd level spells and only legendary fighters may gain a second attack.

Both pcs and npcs can be broken down into one of those 3 tiers. Not all legends need necessarily be adventurers. The party may need to find the legendary weaponsmith Caerlin who has a hidden forge deep in the Ice Teeth mountains. Caerlin would be a 6th level expert, of course.

To keep from high level non-adventurers being more powerful than lower level adventurers I’ve introduced the non-combatant feat. A character with this feat may trade hit dice and BAB for bonus feats on a one-for-one basis. So the ancient Caerlin may have a +0 BAB and only one hit die but still be maxed out in craft ranks.

Thoughts?

wotmaniac

First Post
Last edited:

xigbar

Explorer
I like the the realisticness of the system, but then, wouldn't more powerful creatures have to be toned down a bit, or just dominate the planet? And what level would something like a god be in this system, where level 5/6 is legendary?

wotmaniac

First Post
well, the best I've got it figured is that characters ought to level out around an ECL 10 in approximate power.
so, anything that is above a CR15 would definitely need a load of fluff for why it hasn't obliterated/taken over the world.
for example, I'm actually trying to work this in to the game I'm planning.

also, it's long been my opinion that gods shouldn't have stats. Full stop.
as far as avatars go ..... advance base race to level 10 and add the "monster of legend" template. done.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I like the the realisticness of the system, but then, wouldn't more powerful creatures have to be toned down a bit, or just dominate the planet? And what level would something like a god be in this system, where level 5/6 is legendary?
Yeah, either tone down higher-level monsters; reskin or substitute lesser monsters; or just not use them (or make them uniques, possibly as gods or their avatars).

A good post on quick'n'dirty depowering of monsters was posted here a couple months ago. It's not a foolproof method, but it's a really nice starting point.

Interesting solution, slwoyach.

In my opinion, E6 is one of the greatest variations of 3.5 D&D ever created.

The generic classes do solve a lot of problems. And, specific class abilities can be duplicated by creating feats, following the examples given in Unearthed Arcana.

Very good solution.
:D

slwoyach

First Post

More powerful creatures would have to be far more rare. A dragon, for instance, is a truly terrifying creature. No mortal man could hope to take down an ancient dragon without some serious help and being well prepared. It would require a large group of powerful adventurers, highly specialized magic (perhaps a weapon created for no purpose other than to slay that particular dragon), and a darn good plan. This dragon is no longer a stock monster out of the MM, it's a powerful creature able to dominate large areas of land.

I'm actually thinking of using an ancient red dragon to recreate an old campaign of mine that died far too young. The party are the survivors of a viking settlement that was destroyed for failing to loot enough to pay its annual tribute. The party's quest is to find a way to destroy it.

As you can see, a simple dragon is now the crux of an epic campaign. That's what E6 does for powerful monsters.

As for gods, fighting gods is the opposite of what E6 is about. They are simply so far beyond the power of mortals that there's no point in statting them out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads