Miniature Scale

Kadmon

Villager
About 28/30mm miniatures:
" What exactly do those sizes mean? (There seems to be some debate about whether the size means that's the measurement to eye level or the top of the mini.) "
That is exactly why people call it 28/30mm. Many sculptors choose the eye level as the reference point. A model that is 28mm tall up to eye level is 30mm tall up to the top of the head. (If you are interested, a bit more on this topic: A question of size and scale - Explaining miniature size and miniature scale )
As there are plenty of different designs now out there, I'd recommend you to first take a look at the model, especially if you can check how it compares to the collection you already have.

About 15mm miniatures:
"Does anybody use 15mm anymore? "
If you use a system that has 1:1 scale for the models and the playing area, that means you'll need plenty of space for ranged combat. That is why 15mm is still popular for futuristic games. Although the same would be true for historical games (you'd need quite a distance for a cavalry charge or a cannon barrage), 1/72 miniatures are so cheap, they are usually more popular for historical gamers.

aramis erak

Legend
To be pedantic, a measurement in mm isn't a scale anyway. 1/35th is a scale. Not that it matters, but I'm having a technically correct kind of day. Carry on...
It actually is, but the other half is left off... 5'4" if scale is to eye line or 5'8" if to top of head.

so 15mm is either 15mm:64" or 15mm:68"

pogre

Legend
There is very little consistency in fantasy scale these days, but I justify the differences as there are a lot of differences in sizes of folks in real life too.

I wonder what led to the resurrection of this old thread?

Remove ads