• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minions. The DM knows 'em. Do the players?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
You should be able to tell that a minion is not a leader or an elite, but maybe not know whether that is a minion or a soldier.

WyzardWhately

First Post
I've just been telling them. I can keep plenty of other cards close to my chest, but this one feels a little unfair. Since minions are such a meta-game construct already, I might as well just let the players in on it. Also, it just feels a little unfair to me. I'd want to know which was which when I was playing, so I go ahead and tell my players.

Deverash

First Post
At least in 3.5, our group tends to be quite religious on using knowledge skills to ID new monsters. I'd probably just use the same thing. the basic result(15 from the quickstart rules) gives you the name and type of the monster. I don't have a problem telling them that their minions as part of their type. Assuming it isn't in their name("Kobold Minion") :)

Mort_Q

First Post
Kaodi said:
It would seem to me that the Wizard can be thought of as the Minion Detector. At least any Wizard with Area of Effect At-Wills.

The Wizard still needs to roll to hit each creature with an Area spell power. If s/he doesn't hit, they don't go down, so they still don't know if they're a mook or not.

-Avalon-

First Post
Couple of points here...

I think people are confusing "Minion" as a word, defined roughly as an underling who merely answers to the real people, and "Minion" as a mechanic of the game, meaning only what is stated in the articles thus far.

There is only a couple differences between a minion and a real mob so far as I have seen: 1 HP and 1/4 the XP. They are equipped the same, hit the same, move the same, etc...

In that case, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck... must be a duck! Is gonna be the players' general beliefs I think. Consider the following situation that could be entirely too fun to throw at some players:

The players are infiltrating a base of spies/assassins, and know that they utilize only the best monsters/NPCs to accomplish their goals... They accidentally trigger one of the silent "message-type" alarms and are ambushed by 20 humanoid creatures, which after one dies, the players, through knowledge check, discover that all 20 are dopplegangers. At this point, they know that at least 1 was a minion, he went down too easy... but these are dopplegangers... which others are minions, and which are not?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads