• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minis: Stand Ups Vs Counters

Treebore

First Post
All around I just prefer FD counters. I mean, I can store HUNDREDS in a gallon zip lock bag! They still intimidate my players with the numbers, as well as visually clue them in to what they are fighting.

3-D stand ups may be a little bit cooler but counters get the job done just fine and are easy as heck to store. So FD counters for the win with me.

Staffan

Legend
Anyway, going through my stuff while cleaning and came across the old Steve Jackson Games Cardboard Heroes.

[...]

Mind you I love the cost on the old counters
Just so you know, SJGames are publishing Cardboard Heroes via e23 nowadays - I think in PDF format. Not quite as convenient as JPEGs, but still.

galaga88

Explorer
I use stand-ups versus counters because they're easier to grab, and they stand out across the table.

I use custom fold-up figures glued to pennies for the base. I scanned a cardboard heroes sheet and erased all the figures so I would have a blank grid to paste pictures into.

I copy and paste pictures from .PDFs of books, or I scour google images and deviant art to find what I need. Print in color on cardstock.

They work great. They're folded, so you don't have a flat edge to look into. Pennies are the perfect size for a base, and cost.. a penny. I can use whatever art I want, and the color printing costs haven't killed me at all.

Truename

First Post
I use the Fiery Dragon counters, and love 'em for their artwork, ease of creation, and portability. (So come out with 4e Digital Collection, already!) I print them on cardstock, cut them out, and glue them to 1mm thick one-inch pressboard squares. The pressboard gives them a nice weight that cardstock lacks, and I can write the name of the monster on the back.

Pressboard squares: Bazzill Basics - Bazzill Chips - Squares - 1 inch

JoeGKushner

First Post

Remove ads