• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minotaurs can't get lost????

Artoomis

First Post
well here is the issue. He is not trying to get out of the Labirynth he is trying to get to the center. Soi does he just know how get there?
Doesnt that sort of take out the challenge of the entire thing>????

Perhaps so, but that's your own fault. Putting a Minotaur into a Labyrinth presents no challenge whatsoever. It's an advantage of playing a Minotaur.

This was an oversight on your part. So be it; play fair, and let the player find his way within the labyrinth.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Why''s the adventure have to suck just cause a Pc knows the correct way to go? There's still encounters, traps... and as a videogame RPG player, I know for a FACT -- all the good treasure lies on the "wrong" paths, particularly at dead ends. If they don't want to explore the whole area and just take the shortest route out...that's the party's loss.

Nadaka

First Post
One way of looking at the never lost ability is that he has a perfect sense of direction and scale and a mimetic memory of every where he goes. Just because he never gets lost does not mean he knows where to go when he has never been there. But it does mean that he can make his way out without a problem.

irdeggman

First Post
well here is the issue. He is not trying to get out of the Labirynth he is trying to get to the center. Soi does he just know how get there?
Doesnt that sort of take out the challenge of the entire thing>????

Not when you have things designed to play to a PC's strengths.

For example - having a cleric PC work against undead. This definitely reduces the challenge of the encounter.

But that doesn't negate the game only the fact that one encounter is skewed towards being handled best by a specific class/race.

Having a lot of traps and no trapfinder (e.g., rogue) makes things harder, that is an example of how things work the other way when encounters are set for specific classes/races that are not present.

LittleRush

Explorer
Miotaurs eh....

Greetings,

Natural Cunning (Ex): Although minotaurs are not especially intelligent, they posses innate cunning and logical ability.This makes them immune to Maze spells, prevents them from ever becoming lost, and enables them to track enemies. Further they are never caught flat-footed.
---- Above from Monster Manual Page 137 Minotaur Entry copyright Wizards of the Coast

It does not say that minotaurs can intuit locations within a maze or any where, only that they cannot become lost. Your minotaur will still have to explore the maze he just will not be tricked in to wandering in circles. He has no ability to magically find the center and none to know the locations of anything else.

You can use all the normal tricks and plans to challenge them, only the eternally lost in the maze is out. Try using confined spaces to make the minotaur think and adapt his reactions. Encounters in tight spots can be a real challange for big characters, restrict swinging room, charging distance, head room, coridor width, or all or the above.

calighis

First Post
Perhaps so, but that's your own fault. Putting a Minotaur into a Labyrinth presents no challenge whatsoever. It's an advantage of playing a Minotaur.

This was an oversight on your part. So be it; play fair, and let the player find his way within the labyrinth.

Why''s the adventure have to suck just cause a Pc knows the correct way to go? There's still encounters, traps... and as a videogame RPG player, I know for a FACT -- all the good treasure lies on the "wrong" paths, particularly at dead ends. If they don't want to explore the whole area and just take the shortest route out...that's the party's loss.

I agree with bpth of you...,
I have decided that the minotaurs innnate ability to never get lost means that also the contrary is true. He can always find his way.
However.. I have designed some pretty sweet party favors in this maze and if the characters choose to rely strictly on the minatur and munchkin this maze... they will lose out on the overly sick goodies I am sprinkling in around all the dead ends.
If they go right to the boss then I will take my vengeance by showing them what they missed.

Thanks for all your input and especially Artoomis for his fault finding. Not strictly a part of the solution ther pal. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also I jus tnoticed that this is my 100th post on ENworld and not a coincidence.. the first time I have beefed with Artoomis. I feel like I'm already part of the fam....

Last edited:

nathreet

First Post
LOL you tried to put a PC MINOTAUR in a LABYRINTH? That brightened my day (err night) a little. Yeah, you might as well tie up Huddini. Finding their way around labyrinths is THE #1 thing minotaurs are good at.

The reason given is that minotaurs may not be that smart, but they are innately logical. Likewise any computer with the processing power of a pocket calculator can solve a maze in a microsecond, even though it is utterly incapable of rational thought. The Minotaur PC should NOT automatically know the way out of the labyrinth the instant he drops in it. He SHOULD remember everywhere the party has been and automatically know the path between any 2 places where they've been. So if the PCs walked in, he does know the way out already. Otherwise I'd give him an accurate, scale map of every place the party has been. Let the PC study the map for as long as he wants before any action, even when pressed for time (in game time the minotaur figures out in an instant whatever the PC slowly notices). Feel free to point things out to the PC that you think a minotaur would notice ("logically, there must be a dead end there. To get from here to there, go that way.")

The maze spell may only take 1 round for the minotaur to escape, but that's because anyone might escape it within a single round. It just requires an int check.

Last edited:

Remove ads