Mithral Towershield?

Diirk

First Post
Scharlata said:
According the Races of the Wild, p. 168, Table 7--2: Armor, you can have!

Shield, mithral tower, 1,030 gp, AC +4, MDB +4, ACP -7, ASFC 40%, 50 lb. (but that must be wrong; it should weigh 22,5 lb.).

Enjoy!

It would weigh 22.5 lbs if mithral was half the weight of wood; which its not, its half the weight of steel. Of course 50lb for a mithral tower shield means a steel one would weigh 100 lbs... or about 45kg for us metric folks. Ouch !

Anyway given that its pricing a mithral tower shield at 1000gp for 50 lbs, and that a mithral large shield is 1020 gp for 7.5 lbs, a simple course of action suggests itself:

1. Melt down large tower shield
2. Craft 6 large shields
3. ...
4. Profit !

Joker

First Post
Diirk said:
1. Melt down large tower shield
2. Craft 6 large shields
3. ...
4. Profit !

This reminds me of how gnomes in South Park made profit:

--> Steal Underwear.
--> ...
--> Profit.

Nah that's not from the SRD, the tower shield is, but it incorrectly lists mithril as being able to be applied to a mostly wooden item

Shield from Races of Stone:
Shield, tower, steel___75 GP___+4 Shield Bonus___Max dex +2___AC pen -10___Spell fail 50%___100lb ZOMG!

so
Shield, tower, mithril___1075 GP___+4 Shield Bonus___Max dex +4___AC Pen -6 (incl masterwork)___Spell fail 40%___50lb still ZOMG!

Last edited:

Kaelan Ward

First Post
The AC penalty should be -7... I looked it up and that masterwork bonus is a part of Mithral's 3 AC penalty reduction. I may be incorrect, do let me know if I am.

Kaelan Ward

First Post
And, It incorrectly lists? It does also note in that SRD that it can't be made of darkwood, so it seems we are in a bit of an odd position here.

Last edited:

AC penalty is -6 when you include the -1 for being masterwork.

The DnD wiki linked is not very good for getting SRD stuff, as it's a wiki and had non standard stuff added to it by some contributor, like adding mithril to tower shield or excluding darkwood. In the actual SRD neither of these are correct.

"Shield, Tower
This massive wooden shield..." There is no interpretation, is a wooden shield thus can be made out of darkwood and not mithril. However the steel tower shield from races of stone can be made out of mithril, but it's not in the SRD.

Better SRD reference is here http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm just SRD, with no added extras! 😀

Remove ads