D&D General Mixed Level Party

S'mon

Legend
Yeah, level 5 is definitely a big break point, level 11 much less so though IME. I have one campaign with three active PC groups, PCs can switch between groups, the highest level PC is 10th (thanks to a Comet card from Deck of Many Things) so new PCs come in at 5th level. The current level spreads by group are 6-9, 7-10, and 7-8. Those all work fine in 5e.
Groups - I have a lot of players, this is just my Faerun campaign. There are 3 Wilderlands PC groups too, but only one is running currently.

1. The Barrowmazers

1. Moxy (Claire) female Tiefling Bard 10, College of Swords
Mac (Matt) male Half Elf level 9 Vengeance Paladin 6/Fighter 3
3. Liam (Kermit) male Halfling Arcane Trickster Rogue 8
4. Droghall (Bill) male Kroxiger Totem Barbarian 8
5. Spartigus (Gus) male Human Champion Fighter 8
6. Aya (Judith) female Aasimar Untherite Light Cleric 8 of Shamash

7. Petyr (Jack), male Aasimar Warlock 7 (Celestial)
8. Sir Glendor (Rich) male human Paladin 9 - currently on hiatus

The Faerun 7

1. Eamon of the Yellow Rose (Bill) male Human Monk-8 (Kensai)
2. Greeba of Soravia (Jelena) female Half-Orc Barbarian-8 (Berserker)
3. Gorlock the Warlock (Tony) male Half-Elf Warlock-8 (Celestial)
4. Nathia Truthfist (Kimberly) female Goliath Fighter-8 (Champion)
5. Wisteria of Skullspire (Jelly) female Moon Elf Cleric-7 (Grave)
6. Joell Elderberry (Max) male Aasimar Companion of the Noble Heart Paladin-7 (Oath of Conquest)
7. Blurb Birchbark (Phil) male Firbolg Shepherd Druid-7 (Circle of the Shepherd)

3. Norrin's Band:

1. Lord Norrin
(Geoff), Knight of Arcata, the Baron D'Ashe, Son of Thorin, Father of Teela D'Ashe Norrinsdottir. Human male Fighter-9 (Champion) PB+3 XP 47,107/48,000 AC 24 (plate +1 & shield +2, cloak) HP 85 (13+9/level) P-PER 15 P-INV 12 P-INS 15 MI: +2 longsword, +1 plate armour, +2 shield, cloak of protection (a). Henchman: Rondus
2. Queale
(Keelia) Half-Elf female Horizon Walker Ranger-8 XP 42,702/48,000 AC 17 (mithril half plate) HP 76 (13+9/level) P-PER 16 P-INV 13 P-INS 16 MI: rabbit fur slippers of elvenkind, +1 arrows, ethereal diadem (in pack, a), +1 longbow, Oathbow (a), +1 Durgeddin Rapier.
3. Meryem Bloodletter of Reghed
(Roxy) Human female Berserker Barbarian-8 XP 33,598/34,000 AC 20 (15 half plate +2 DEX +3 shield +1) HP 85 (15+10/level) P-PER 10 P-INV 10 P-INS 10. MI: +1 Duergar greatsword, +3 battleaxe of Durgeddin, +1 shield. Henchman: Hugo
Goltho 'Bearchaser' (Tim), Goliath male Fighter-6 (Arcane Archer) XP 19,528/23,000 AC 18 (Glamered Half Plate +1) HP 58 (13+9/lvl) P-PER 14 P-INV 11 P-INS 11 MI: Yew Greatbow +1, Longsword +1, Goggles of Night, Glamered Half Plate +1
5. Kevan Blackguard
(Jack) Half-Elf male Bard-6 (Lore) XP 17,237/23,000 AC 17 (+2 studded) HP 45 (10+7/lvl) P-PER 14 P-INS 12 MI: JAODAR’S TOME OF ENCHANTMENT (a) (+1 to Enchantment Save DC), Studded Leather +2, Medallion of Thoughts, +1 Shortsword, Immovable Rod, Wand of Arcane Lock Henchman: Tod

1. Have you ever run a mixed level campaign? If so, how did the players like it?
  2. Have you ever run a mixed level short adventure? Did the players like it?
  3. Have you ever run a same level campaign, but the power balance so consistent with a three or four level difference? If so, how did the players respond?
  4. Lastly, if you have run any of these things - how did you, as DM, like it? Why?
1- Yes, they liked it just fine.
2- Yes, those would usually have been convention games and there would be a narrow spread of levels.
3- (On clarification), It was fine. With the next big haul the money went to commission items for the weaker members, special training to raise attributes, whatever.
4- The biggest challenge was keeping in mind AoE damaging effects, both player and DM.

A new exchange student had heard of D&D and wanted to sit in on our session to see if he was interested. With the questions he asked and conclusions he shared with the party he was a full contributing member and he didn't even have a character. (He was really sold on D&D, by the way.)

What's important are the people, and, in my opinion, the recognition that you are a member of a team. Others can make observations, ask questions, share conclusions, and assist the team in that manner. The party looks after the weaker members until they become stronger.

Last edited:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Looking beyond 5e and D&D in general, when I look at other systems one feature I find greatly appealing is the ability for new and advanced characters to adventure together smoothly.

Remove ads