• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MM2 Monster Rundown [Long]

Paragon Badger

First Post
Here are random (and less than serious) thoughts/desc. on every monster in the Monster Manual 2, just because I have nothing better to do right now. (Who needs sleep?)

Monsters
Abeil- My first reaction was “I already have lawful ant people why do I need lawful bee people?” However, after reading the entry I think I actually like these guys better. The soldiers Stormwing attack (6d6 in 40’ burst) just rocks. Plus they have better colors…

Ash Rat – Cool little monster, more amusing if they named it fire shrew…

Asperi – Skywalking cold subtype horses. Can I get one as a mount?

Automaton – Hey, Chainmail monsters! Nice to see lower CR constructs but where are the creation rules?

Avolakia- Lovecraft-type aberration. Their saving grace is their cool, “We maintain undead as moving food stock” routine.

Banshee – Save or die. You either love it or hate it.

Bladeling – Spiky goblin-like humanoids from Acheron. Seems bleh to me.

Blood Ape – Apes that can enlarge themselves to Huge size. The jungles got a bit more dangerous.

Boggle – They like to steal shiny objects. So this is like an ugly Kender?

Bogun – Vegetable constructs! For those that think Homunculi are icky.

Bone Naga – Look the dark naga got a new friend!

Bone Ooze – Gargantuan ooze with tons of bones floating inside it. Finally an ooze that will scare my PCs!

Braxat – A rhino/beetle with psionics?!? Umm… at least it hits hard.

Breathdrinker – It looks like you and steals the breath from your lungs. Cool monster, so-so art.

Bronze Serpent – A big scary bronze snake. Cool moster, cool art.

Catoblepas – I don’t know what the heck this thing is, but death rays from the eyes! Ouch!!!

Celestials – A satyr and a werewolf from Elysium. Useful for some planar ally.

Chain Golem – A personal favorite. It slices, it dices. It is a freaking moving blender!!!!

Chaos Roc – A colossal bird with prismatic spray. Don’t piss it off!

Cloaked Ape – Take a monkey and cross it with a flying squirrel.

Clockwork Horror – Their robots trying to take over the world. I like robots trying to take over the world. I can see an Electrum and the Adamantine Horrors reconstructing Pinky and the Brian
scenes.

Cloud Ray – BIG desert flying manta rays. So cool. If you’ve seen Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust you’ve seen these guys.

Corollax – A bright parrot that can do color spray. The first thing I thought of is a Bird of Paradise from Magic: the Gathering

Corpse Gatherer – An animated graveyard that seeks to gain more bodies. This sucker just has a lot of nasty potential.

Crisom Death – A favorite from 2E. But no mention of the possibility of this being a type of vampire that lost it’s physically body and survived.

Darktentacles – Is this where Evard got his inspiration?

Deathbringer – The undead general. His negative burst could be nasty with undead allies.

Demon – A bunch of chainmail monsters (Abyssal Maw) then some interesting demons. My favorite is the everburing Palrethees, a demon that failed his BATs (Balor Apptitude Test)?

Desmodu – Duna-duna-duna-duna! BATMAN! Sorry failed my Will
save.

Desmodu Bat – Big bats the Desmodu grow.

Devil – Cool wasp devil thingy in here, the rest aren’t shabby either.

Dinosaurs – Alright!!!! Plesiosaur, Allosaur, Ankylosaur, Quetzcoatlus, Seismosaur, and Spinosaur. Lost World here we come!

Dire Animal – Mostly stuff from Masters of the Wild

Gem Dragons – (Images of Amethyst telekinesising PCs, off walls, flash through head) Manical laughter follows. BADD will be happy.

Dread Guard – Also known as Stygian Warrior in Myth 2: Soulblighter

Dune Stalker – Desert Monster, bleh.

Effigy – Cool art. Don’t let this thing control you.

Elemental Weird – Seers rock!

Ehter Scarab – Ethereal vermin. whooppee…

Ethereal Doopleganger – Just like a material doopleganger, only ethereal…

Ethereal Slayer – Now this is an ethereal monster. Amubsh the PCs when they try to be sneaky and ethereal there way out of a problem.

Famine Spirit – Open up and say “Ahhhh!”

Felldrake – Chainmail monsters but cool ones.

Fiendwurm – One day I’m an earthworm but now I’m really big, have a portal to the Abyss in my gut, and REALLY bad heartburn. Unless you have some Bigby-sized Tums don’t bug me.

Fihyr – Look it’s a Feyr!

Firbolg – Another giant with big swords.

Fire Bats – “They propel themselves by expelling heated gases
from tubes within their bodies…” Not quite a flumph but getting there.

Flesh Jelly – A big blob o’ skin. Gross yet effective.

Fomorian – U – G – L –Y You don’t need no alibi, you ugly!

Forest Sloth – They aren’t slow and aren’t docile. Sloth is a misnomer here, think prehistoric sloth.

Frost Salamander – Ice lizards are cool… (pun intended)

Galeb Duhr – Another 2e favorite

Gamboi – Blue monkeys!

Giant – Mountain giants are big.

Glimmerskin – Pop goes the hero! Postive energy overload is
soooo amusing…

Golems – Stained glass, Brass, and Dragonflesh. Don’t let a dragon know you are making a dragonflesh golem.

Gravecrawler – A intelligent slug they turns flesh to stone and sees dead people. Interesting potential.

Gravog – a really big and hungry lemur?

Greevise – It’s a Venus flytrap gone bad.

Grell – They’re back…

Grimalkin – A shapeshifting cat with 8 Int. Do they still like catnip?

Grizzly Mastodon – More prehistoric fun.

Half-fiend, Durzagon – What happens when a duergar gets a succubus drunk.

Hellfire Wyrm – I’m thinking Shivan Dragon here. It’s from the
Nine Hells and would make a great campaign villain.

Hook Horror – Cool monster, so-so art.

Immoth - An ice giant, literally.

Ixitxachiti – How do you pronounce that?

Jahi – Possesion undead style!
Jermlaine – Awww, look at the wittle little evil thingys… (My fiance’s reaction)

Juggernaut – Now I know this is from Magic: the Gathering!

Julamus – More blue monkeys!!!!!!!

Kopru – Weird underwater monsters.

Leechwalker – Ugh, a ball of leeches in humanoid from.

Legendary Animals – More stuff from Masters of the Wild.

Leviathan – The whale that ate Pittsburgh…

Linnorms – A personal favorite fairy tale monster. These are large and in charge.

Loxo – An elephant-man. The desc. doesn’t match the art exactly.

Marrash – Looks like a Gnoll with wings.

Meenlock – Shudder- These used to be humans? Ouch.

Megalodon – Even more prehistoric fun.

Megapede – My fiancé hates these things.

Moonbeast – Lovecraft-type monster

Mooncalf – I think this is from a WotC adventure.

Moonrat – Rats that are intelligent during the full moon. The art for this speaks volumes.

Morkoth – An underwater aberration. Who’s arm is sticking out of it’s mouth?

Mudmaw – A croc with a weird mouth…

Myconid – Alright!!! Mushroom people!!!

Needlefolk – A plant person. Don’t squeeze the needlefolk.

Neogi – Spelljammer favorites.

Nethersight Mastiff – Because the shadow mastiffs weren’t enough.

Nightmare Beast – The name says it all.

Nimblewight- rapier-wielding constructs that hide among the living. Potential here.

Ocean Strider – A killer whale giant. Cool art.

Orcwort – Possibly my favorite monster from the book. It’s a tree that can move and make orc shaped “fruit” that goes out to grab some food (think people) for the tree.

Ormyrr – I’d call this an aberration.

Phase Wasp – Ouch those magic missles sting… (Another bad pun)

Phoenix – D*** near unbeatable. Thank your lucky shoes this is NG. Of course if some evil DM decided there was an evil version…

Planetouched – Aren’t lawful and chaotic planetouched already covered?

Psurlon – An earthworm person. I’ll pass.

Ragewind – Another blender.

Raggamoffyn – This win the award for cutest name.

Rampager – A big strong thing that hates metal. Regard beware.

Reason Stealer- I eat intelligence. This would have starved on some people I know….

Red Sundew – I guess they had a plant quota?

Rogue Eidolon – These are freaky. I love the art.

Rukarazyll – They should just say this is from the Far Realms.

Runic Guardian – Shield Guardian 3000

Shadow Spider – Anything from the Plane of Shadows can’t be nice.

Sirine – Wins the award for 2nd cutest babe in the book. (See Sylph)

Spawn of Kyuss – Wormy undead.

Spell Weaver – I like the multi spellcasting ability.

Spellguant – Magic items beware

Spirit of the Land – This is a cool idea. Are your PCs not being ecofriendly?

Stone Spike – Is this a Chainmail monster?

Swamplight Lynx – Lynx were underrepresented.

Sylph – The winner of the Miss Monster Manual 2 crown.

Tempest – A intelligent thunderstorm. Cool concept, I wouldn’t want to fight it.

Teratomorph – Weird, just weird.

Thri-keen – Dark sun favorite

Twig Blight – From the Sunless Citadel

Vaporighu – From Gehenna and hungry

Windghost – Lovecraft-type monster

Wyste – Lovecraft-type monster

Yakfolk – Don’t underestimate the yakfolk they have some nice tricks up their sleeves.

Yugoloth – Nice to see the ferrymen here.

Templates
Captured One – For the Raggamoffyn ability

Chimeric – a bleh template for me.

Death Knight – Do I really need to comment on this one?

Half-Golem – I kinda of like this idea.

Monster of Legend – When you want to use a monster but need to bump up the CR. Great art.

Spellstitched – Undead + Magic = Pain

Tauric – This is so cool. Take X humanoid + X animal/beast/vermin and spit out a result.

Titanic – Titanic Badger anybody?

Warbeast – When the typical old Dire Badger won’t do for your gnome paladin whip out the Warbeast Dire Badger (O’ Doom)

OGC
Razor Boar – Don’t cross these in a forest or anywhere else.

Scorpionfolk – Isn’t this already covered by the Stingers?

Well that wraps it up. If you’d like a more specific/serious opinion I might try after I get some sleep. ;-) All in all I think the MM2 is a good book overall. But both the art and monsters are hit or miss.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Paragon Badger said:
OGC
Razor Boar – Don’t cross these in a forest or anywhere else.

Scorpionfolk – Isn’t this already covered by the Stingers?

1. The Razor Boar's original form, Iron Tusker, MUCH tougher since if you didn't have a magic weapon, chances are you lose your weapon as well.

2. Scorpionfolk original form, Sandmaskers, were/are something of an enigma for most. Basically I guess they just wanted something to go with the Razor boar.

Xarlen

First Post
Nightfalito! The Nightmaster! Ratin' Monsters.

Muy Gracious. :)

I think the Banshee would've been a lot less Save or Die, if her Wail caused Negative levels. Obviously, most common people would be destroyed, but it would certainly wear down adventurers.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Juggernaut – Now I know this is from Magic: the Gathering!

Wrong. Old D&D Expert set. Back in the day it was a rolling building that d9d 10d10. Reprinted in the old Creature Catalog and in some other books. Made one 2nd ed apperance but can't remember where it came from.

Not a personal jab at you, but I love how people assume that something is from somewhere else when in fact, D&D has such a long history, that they could probably do another three books like this and not use any OGC. However, Tome of Horrors from Necromancer should help bring that number down a bit.

I'm hoping that it covers a lot of the monsters from the various Creature Catalogs in the old Dragon mags (I'm talking issues 90-95ish I think.) Anyone remember the animated armor that exploded when you finally did damage it? Loved that one.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Xarlen said:
Juggernaut, I believe, was in the Tomb of Horrors. Or atleast, the Return, wasn't it?

Yeppers- it was in S1 Tomb of Horrors, but had its beginnings (as mentioned above) in OD&D.

Remove ads