MM2 Preview Starspawn

alleynbard

First Post
I don't think auras stack unless the description specifically states they do.

And to clarify, two of the same aura do not stack unless otherwise stated. Two different auras that have the same effect but have differing "levels of power" (ongoing 2 damage vs. ongoing 4 damage) don't stack, the more "powerful" effect takes precedence. Two completely different auras with different effects will impact everyone standing in both areas.

Nymrohd

First Post
If you want to double up these guys in combat, don't stack them. Place them so that leaving one's aura lands you in the aura of the second guy. Add some skirmishers and you are set.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
If you want to double up these guys in combat, don't stack them. Place them so that leaving one's aura lands you in the aura of the second guy. Add some skirmishers and you are set.
Wow. You'd pinball. Add interesting map elements, and the fight will be a memorable one.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Ditto. Still cool, though... if I was to use one, I'd probably re-skin it as a tentacled, Lovecraftian monstrosity with a black hole for a mouth.

One question I have; how does everybody feel a Controller that tries to get itself surrounded? Seems like a quick way to die, to me... one particularly evil thing you could do, though, would be to give it a template that grants it some sort of resistance (necrotic seems the most appropriate, flavor-wise), and then park it right in the middle of a hazard that deals constant damage of the type they're resistant to. Pretty wicked.

Go the opposite route. There was a suite of animated armor from one of the creature catalogs that was made of adamante and was very difficult to damage. Trick was it only had 1 hit point and it exploded. Exploding minions anyone?

Nymrohd

First Post
Wow. You'd pinball. Add interesting map elements, and the fight will be a memorable one.

That was my initial idea, two of these starspawn controlling the battlefield with a pit between them and a starlock NPC blasting your players from behind, but I think it would be too brutal.

Lancelot

Adventurer
Fantastic creature. Mechanically, it's awesome - it feels like no creature I've seen in the original MM, and has a tremendous combat flavor. Storywise, I'm glad to hear that MM2 may have a little more fluff than the original MM. Artistically, I was surprised... I read the name and the stats, and I was immediately thinking tentacles and other Cthulhu-esque nastiness.

On reflection, though, I think I prefer it the way it is. Rounding a corner and bumping into this towering avatar of star-stuff is likely to be even more intimidating than the usual squamous mass of pseudopods. There's something about the humanoid form which implies intelligence and driving will - to drag you into the inescapable grip of annihilation.

Rechan

Adventurer
I don't mind them being humanoid. I think 'tentacles and such' are a bit overused as far as Far Realms stuff is concerned.

I would describe it as a humanoid shape of nothingness. An absence of everything. And the influence of its aura, its powers, you see in the corner of your eye its influence; whispers of blackness beckoning you forward, reaching out to eat at you.

That, to me, is creepier than Yet Another Octopus Variant.

As far as "Are the stars gods" vs. "Portals to the Far Realms", here's a possible different twist:

Just like there are primal spirits in the real world, those that rule over rivers and volcanoes and animals, so to do Stars have spirits. Spirits that have gained power over eons for being looked to, for guiding others with their constellations, for shedding light on the darkness. And for whatever reason, they are using their Influence for an unknown purpose. Why is it he moon controls the tides?

Perhaps, like the Real World has spirits, so too does the Far Realms.

Remove ads