• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

mm3 monster challenge

the Jester

Legend
As a joke, Sir Edgar posted this list of what will be in the MM3....

Dagger Golem
Cotton Golem
Hankerchief Golem
Quarter Golem
One-Eight Golem
Mud Rucker
Mud Swimmer
Half Chimera
Half Bodak
Half Legendary Animal
Excuse Stealer
Rhyme Stealer
Spell Wrapper
Spell Fixer-Upper
Mind Nibbler
Mind Chomper
Smellsnatcher
Odoreater
Hot Spirit
Warm Spirit
Lukewarm Spirit
Chilly Spirit
Magic Missile Parrot
Fireball Parrot
Dreadbringer
Boredombringer
Darktouched
Lightouched
Knife Bear
Knife Deer
Dire Goat
Dire Cow
Dire Chicken
Ethereal Ripper
Ethereal Purse Snatcher
Knifeling
Scissorling
Paperman
Clothman
Scissorman
Shadow Ant
Shadow Hippopotamus
Soul Grabber
Soul Releaser
Soul Twitcher
Monster of Lore
Monster of Myth
and more Dinosaurs

Heck, why not! Let's make them all! Come one, come all- the MM3 monster maker challenge is on!

Krishnath

First Post
A few questions?

Does it have to be one of the creatures listed above? Should it be serious attempts, or fun and wacky creations? And wouldn't this be more appopriate for say, april 1st?

It's a fun list though, but I have seen better.

the Jester

Legend
Re: A few questions?

Krishnath said:
Does it have to be one of the creatures listed above? Should it be serious attempts, or fun and wacky creations? And wouldn't this be more appopriate for say, april 1st?

It's a fun list though, but I have seen better.

Hey, I didn't make the list, I just cut and pasted it over here!

I'd personally like to see a good mix of serious and wacky... I'll be posting some stuff of my own on here, and plan to mix it up.

I'd wait til April, but I don't have that sort of attention span.

rackabello

First Post
Hey, no fair Jester! I had the very same idea, but left it to Sir Edgar to post over here:
originally posted by the one & only rackabello, yep that's right, me
Honestly, Edgar, you really ought to post your list as a Homebrew Challenge over at the Creature Catalog forums.
Ah well, I'm glad you took the initiative. I'll do what I can to keep the thread alive while you're off doing your Kerouac/road picture/running from the law thang.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Clothfolk

Note: In the interest of following 3e's gender-neutral constructions, I renamed the clothman listed above the "clothfolk"...

Clothfolk
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 3d8 (13 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20’
AC: 10
Attacks: Slam -1 melee
Damage: Slam 1d2-4
Face/Reach: 5’x5’/5’
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Constrict 1d4-4
Special Qualities: Windriding
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 11, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 11
Skills: Craft (weaving) (7 ranks, +3 skill focus, +10 racial), Disguise +3*, Hide +7, Move Silently +7
Feats: Skill focus (craft: weaving)
Climate/Terrain: Any land
Organization: Solitary, pair or weave (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 1/3
Treasure: Standard goods and items (cloth only)
Alignment: Often neutral
Advancement Range: 4-6 HD (medium), 7-9 HD (large)
Description: A clothfolk is a humanoid creature that looks like a pair of longjohns. It can only remain upright by holding onto branches or similar objects. Clothfolk usually are about 6’ high (if upright) and weigh around ½ lb.
Combat: Clothfolk prefer to avoid battle, but if necessary can wrap their limbs around a target and constrict. Usually, they’d rather flee on the wind.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability a clothfolk must hit with its slam attack. If it gets a hold it can immediately begin using its not-so-deadly constrict attack.
Windriding (Ex): Due to its extremely light weight a clothfolk can ride existing winds. Against all wind-related effects a clothfolk is considered to be a tiny creature. It can travel at a movement rate equal to 30’ or higher in very windy conditions.

Hah! Try to match that one, eh??

Sidran

First Post
I am working on a few serious creatures for this idea the Scissorlings which I changed to Scissorhands( Golem), and the Ephemeral Ripper which I changed to the Phase Ripper and which I have not decided what it is other than a monster with the phase ability

Gorilla726

First Post
Dire Chimpmunk

Dire Chipmunk
Fine Monstrous Vermin
Hit Dice: 2d4+3 (10 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 20’ Walk, 40' Climb
AC: 17 (10 Natural, 3 Dex)
Attacks: Bite 1d4+2
Damage: Bite 1d4+2
Face/Reach: 1’x1’/3’
Special Attacks: Screech
Special Qualities: Cute, Fuzzy, Terrifying.
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +0
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 25, Wis 42, Cha 18
Skills: Craft (nest) (4 ranks, +10 racial), Hide +7, Move Silently +7
Feats: Lightning Reflexes.
Climate/Terrain: Forests, Trees, Telephone Wires.
Organization: Single.
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Nuts and Twigs.
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral.
Advancement Range:
Description: Looks like a normal chimpmunk... But is extremely smart.
Combat: Will jump around and bite it's opponent... Alot.

rackabello

First Post
Rhyme Stealer
Small Fey (sprite)
Hit Dice: 1d6 +1 (4 hp)
Initiative: +8 (+4 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 20ft, fly 40ft (good)
AC: 15 (+1 size, +4 Dex)
Attacks: Bite +5 melee; or Small rapier -1 melee; or composite shortbow +5 ranged
Damage: Bite 1d3-2 and poison; or Small rapier 1d4-2; or composite shortbow 1d6
Face/Reach: 5’x5’/5’
Special Attacks: Dissonant song, rhyme stealing, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: SR 16
Saves: Fort +1 Ref +6 Will +2
Abilities: Str 7, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 11, Cha 20
Skills: Bluff +9, Craft (luthier or violin maker) +11, Escape Artist +8, Hide +8, Listen +6, Move Silently +8, Perform +9, Search +9, Sense Motive +4, Spot +6, Tumble +8, Use Magic Device +9
Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Weapon Finesse (bite)

Climate/Terrain: Any land
Organization: Solitary or heckle (3-6)
CR: ?5?
Treasure: No coins; 50% goods and items
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral (always chaotic)
Advancement: By character class (Bard)

Rhyme stealers, sometimes called bardbanes or sharptongues, are prankish sprites who delight in mockery and insult. Capricious and wild at their best, rhyme stealers tend to be far more malicious and cruel than their fellow sprites, and are avoided if not despised by their brethren. It is said that some elven communities appoint archers specifically to discourage rhyme stealers from disrupting theatrical and musical festivals.

Renowned for their skill at building lutes, viols and fiddles, their cutting wit and knack for twisting a song against its singer makes them feared as well as admired among bards. A bard will occasionally seek out a gathering of rhyme stealers to challenge them at flyting, a battle of improvised poetic boasts and insults which is the rhyme stealers' favorite sport.

Rhyme stealers are slight of build, resembling pixies with black or red hair, dark eyes, long, beakish noses and sharp, needlelike teeth. Their mothlike wings are patterned in brown, black and red, and their feet are clawed like a crow's.

Combat:
Like most bullies, rhyme stealers are generally cowardly, preferring to taunt their victims invisibly, and from a distance. They have been known to harry travelers for hours in this manner. However, they can be cunning and deadly foes when whim or necessity drives them into combat. Using their dissonant song to weaken their enemies, they favor attacking with spell-like abilities and arrow fire before darting in to nip at their foes with their poisonous bites.
Dissonant Song (Su): A Rhyme stealer's wild and melismatic song unsettles all who hear it, causing all foes within 30 feet who fail a Will save (DC 16) to take a -1 penalty to all attack and damage rolls and a -2 penalty to saves against fear affects. These penalties last so long as the rhyme stealer sings, and for five rounds after the singing stops. Creatures who successfully save against this effect cannot be affected by that same rhyme stealer's dissonant song for 24 hours. Essentially, this is a perversion of the bardic music ability inspire confidence, and works the same with regard to actions taken while singing.
Rhyme Stealing (Su): With a successful opposed Perform check, a rhyme stealer can disrupt the effects of bardic music, using a cruel pastiche of the bard's words and music to cancel her abilities. For ongoing effects such as inspire courage, competence, or greatness, this Perform check must be made every round. Used against a bard's fascinate or suggestion abilities, rhyme stealing allows the bard's target a new saving throw.
Poison (Ex): The rhyme stealer's bite is mildly poisonous (DC 11), dealing initial and secondary damage of 1d3 Charisma.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will -- invisibility; 3/day -- cause fear, ghost sound, sculpt sound, shatter; 1/day -- shout. These abilities are as spells cast by a 6th level sorceror.
Skills: Like other sprites, rhyme stealers receive a +2 racial bonus to Listen, Search and Spot checks. They also receive a +4 bonus to Craft (luthier or violin maker) checks.

Last edited:

rackabello

First Post
Okay, here's another. Strictly speaking, it belongs in the Rogues Gallery forum, as it is not a new critter. However, since my inspiration was Sir Edgar's list I'll post it here.

Without further prelude....

Snogg ("Spellwrapper")
Choker Fighter 8: CR 10; Size S; HD 3d8+6 + 8d10 +16; hp 88; Init +5 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Spd 20ft, climb 10ft; AC 21 (+1 size, +5 natural, +5 studded leather +2); Attack 2 tentacle slaps +17 melee, or shortbow +12 ranged; Dam tentacle slap 1d3 + 1d4 (Dirty Fighting feat) +7, or mighty composite shortbow 1d6 +2; SV Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +8; AL NE; Str 17 (19), Dex 13, Con 14, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 7.

Languages Spoken: Undercommon.

Skills and Feats: Climb +24, Hide +13, Listen +6, Move silently +3, Spot +6; Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dirty Fighting, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Stunning Fist, Weapon Focus (tentacle), Weapon Specialization (tentacle).

Special Abilities: Haste; improved grab; constrict 1d3+5; reach 10ft.

Possessions: +2 Shadow Studded Leather, Belt of Giant Strength +2, mighty (+2) composite shortbow, 20 arrows

By and large, chokers are grunting, clutching creatures who are little more than the sum of their gnawing hunger. Possessed of a glimmer more of intelligence, Snogg is exceptional among his ilk, and his long years of sneaking and killing in the Underdark have made him a dangerous foe. He uses his natural terrain to the fullest, attacking from ceilings and crevasses, striking and scuttling off into the shadows. He seeks to divide his foes whenever possible, stunning and strangling the weak and the lost.

Though Snogg is generally cunning and cautious, his overpowering hatred of spellcasters sometimes drives him to reckless attacks against them. In recent months, this has led to fretful whispers among the otherwise doughty and pragmatic deep gnomes, who speak of the "spellwrapper," a rubbery, grasping shadow that seems to stretch from the very cavern walls, stealing the breath and the life from unwary caravan mages.

Last edited:

Remove ads