[Modern AGE] Reading the basic rulebook (Green Ronin)

Reynard

Legend
I browsed through the rulebook yesterday and while it looks perfectly serviceable, I did not see anything that screams "Play me instead of X." There isn't anything apparently unique about it aside from perhaps the stunt mechanics. For those that have played and had success with it, why use this over any version of D&D or PF?

Aldarc

Legend
I browsed through the rulebook yesterday and while it looks perfectly serviceable, I did not see anything that screams "Play me instead of X." There isn't anything apparently unique about it aside from perhaps the stunt mechanics. For those that have played and had success with it, why use this over any version of D&D or PF?
IME, a big draw for me is that the AGE system runs quicker than either D&D or PF, and it's typically easier for new players to pick up. Apart from spending stunt points, there is typically less decision paralysis for players.

atanakar

Hero

Because: It's not d20 or a derivative. The 3d6 bell curve odds is less swingy. Magic works with points and the caste must succeed a Target Number roll. Armour reduces damages. Tool box design approach, more so with the Companion. And the Stunt system, which brings a fun touch of unpredictability to the game.

Reynard

Legend
Because: It's not d20 or a derivative.
Is this a selling point for people? I mean, I play lots of different kinds of games but are there people for whose hat of d02 still knows no limit?

The 3d6 bell curve odds is less swingy.
Yet the game still uses static madifiers, which throws the math way out on a bell curve system.

Magic works with points and the caste must succeed a Target Number roll.
Non vancian casting is nice.

Armour reduces damages.
But hit points still increase per level. Doesn't that just result in fighters getting even longer over time?

Tool box design approach, more so with the Companion.
I'll be honest, I was reading through it to see if it offered a different kind of game than D&D does, with rules for things like exploration or domain management out of the box. As far as I can tell, it treads pretty much the same ground, conceptually, as D&D does.

And the Stunt system, which brings a fun touch of unpredictability to the game.
The stunt system does look interesting. I like games that reflect capability and success after the roll, rather than penalizing the attempt.

atanakar

Hero
Is this a selling point for people? I mean, I play lots of different kinds of games but are there people for whose hat of d02 still knows no limit?

Yet the game still uses static madifiers, which throws the math way out on a bell curve system.

Non vancian casting is nice.

But hit points still increase per level. Doesn't that just result in fighters getting even longer over time?

I'll be honest, I was reading through it to see if it offered a different kind of game than D&D does, with rules for things like exploration or domain management out of the box. As far as I can tell, it treads pretty much the same ground, conceptually, as D&D does.

The stunt system does look interesting. I like games that reflect capability and success after the roll, rather than penalizing the attempt.

Fantasy AGE does cater to the same tropes and clientele. The first book is called Basic Book. Green Ronin wanted to get away from the d20 but still have a high fantasy type game. It is true that hit points are a bit crazy but the Companion offers alternate rules for HPs.

Not that I don't play FAGE. I only read the books. I play Modern AGE. It's classless and offers a lot of customizing options. With the Gritty Mode on characters are fragile even at higher levels. I like that approach of having three levels of play (gritty, pulp or heroic). Maybe they will include that in the new version of the FAGE Basic book.

If you want exploration and domain management you should go with Forbidden Lands. It's what the game is all about.

Reynard

Legend
If you want exploration and domain management you should go with Forbidden Lands. It's what the game is all about.
Tangential, I know, but is that game setting specific? I like the Mutant Year Zero hexploration and community rules but it seems difficult to extract them for non-PA gaming.

atanakar

Hero
Right. I was saying that I had difficulty trying to translate the systems from M:YZ out of that game and setting, and was wondering Forbidden Lands was more generic and open. The game description seems to suggest a very specific setting.

I would say very specific to the setting. I still haven't finished reading the FL GM book.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases