Modern Superheroes by IGM Games

zen_hydra

First Post
Blood and Vigilance is the best d20 supers system available (IMO) from the standpoint of portability to other d20 games, especially d20 Modern. I endorse it 100%.

C. Baize

First Post
Yup. I'm a supers genre FREAK.
Super freak, even.
I'm very very critical of supers games (even though I LOVED the old D100 and color charts Marvel Super Heroes game), but I definitely endorse Blood and Vigilance without hesitation.

ledded

Herder of monkies
"Hello, my name is ledded, and I am a Blood and Vigilance superfreak."

"Hello ledded!"

I have to agree, BnV is also my favorite supers system. I am a huge fan of the d20 Modern base, because it's so easy to extend, add on to, customize, etc without major rewriting of all the mechanics, and BnV is completely in that vein. I was able to do pretty much everything I wanted to do with a supers system by just adding it to my d20 Modern game, and it was fast, easy, plus Vigilance/Chuck Rice has always been really good about answering email/forum questions as they have come up, so you can pick the rather aimiable author's brain on a variety of BnV related issues. In my sig is a link to a supers-heavy story hour called "We were like gods once..." that I wrote that was played using BnV if you want to see the kind of weirdness that players can come up with.

Not that MnM is not a good game, but if you are looking for something easy to pick up, cheap, and lets you use existing d20 Modern mechanics (i.e. short learning curve) this is your boy. Since it does use hit points and whatnot, it can get a bit grittier than most supers games, but I like it that way so it never bothered me. It is definitely worth the price of admission many times over.

Aran

Explorer
OK, how does Four Color to Fantasy compare to B&V? I don't have either, but your usages of B&V seem to be my mind-set. I'm not wanting to do Superman or Spider-man, more like Batman or the X-Men movie.

[imager]http://www.rpgnow.com/products/product_2201.jpg[/imager]Four-Color to Fantasy is E.N. Publishing's superhero sourcebook, designed to let you add superpowers to D&D or D20 Modern with ease. We never updated it to 3.5, but if you want to use it for D20 Modern, it should have everything you need. I use it occasionally when I want to give a normal NPC in D20M a few special abilities, but if I were to play a full on supers game, I admit I'd probably use Mutants & Masterminds.

For he who dislikes M&M, may I ask why?

C. Baize

First Post
Hellhound sent me Four Color to Fantasy and the D20 Modern version, a long time ago... I forget why, but after reading it a couple times, nothing clicked.... nothing grabbed me, ya know?

jezter6

Explorer
That's one of the things I love about B&V...after reading it, I was first quite confused. Then I read it again, and became intrigued. Then I read it again and had millions of questions.

If you read the book and something nags at the back of your brain, you've got a good book. It may not be perfect, but as you read it you get more and more inspired and find other uses for it.

I despise FX in d20 modern. If I were to use FX, I would probably opt for B&V as my FX and give powers instead of the old D&D way of running magic.

ledded

Herder of monkies
Aran said:
OK, how does Four Color to Fantasy compare to B&V? I don't have either, but your usages of B&V seem to be my mind-set. I'm not wanting to do Superman or Spider-man, more like Batman or the X-Men movie.

To be honest, I don't know much about Four Color, other than what other more knowledgeable folks here have said echos what I've heard. And I've never actually played MnM, which lots of folks I trust have told me is a great game, it's just that certain mechanics and aspects of the character creation process I know would not go over well with our group. Personally, I'd love to play a game in it just to see how much I would really like it.

I think I liked BnV best because it was easy (the learning curve was literally less than a couple hours for the most new-system challenged in our group), it fit into a system we already were using and liked a lot, and let us in very short order get on with what we wanted to do... i.e. start playing some supers, and not learn a whole new system for doing supers.

Plus, I found it really easy to scale and add things to. There were several good threads floating around last year that several folks had posted all kinds of new powers, gear, etc, if you seach you can find some extra resources.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Its funny, for me M&M pretty much revolutionized supers games. Before, I felt that all supers games were bad - you just had to find the one that was least bad. For the first time in my gaming life, I found a supers game that not only does what I want it to do but also gives me the sense that the creators really love comics.

Though I always like hearing from someone with a different opinion from my own so I can see what their stance is and try to look at things from a new perspective.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I'm also a fan of MnM, myself. It's very very fast. Combat takes very little in the way of time.

I remember that we started playing it as our pick-up game when the regular game couldn't take place because of players being absent. We played "Teen Titans", based off of the Cartoon Network cartoon (as opposed to the comics). It was great fun.

But I put together several adventures that, in another d20 game, should have taken up a 4-6 hour block ... we finished in 2 hours. I tried that several times until I realized that it seemed like the "right" amount of time for a MnM game was 2-3 hours as opposed to 4-6 hours. Thus its "pick-up" status.

But it was tons of fun. I built all of the cartoon titans and had an excel character sheet that I could put pictures in, so everybody liked that. Beast Boy was notably absent, however, because I REALLY didn't feel like statting out a bazillion different animal forms.

We also played Nocturnals, with the MnM Nocturnals book. It was quite good, as well, but a little "broad" feeling. We also did a short session or two with kids from the Nightshade school (for creepy children).

--fje

Remove ads