• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mongoose Publishing d20/OGL: Best Books? (Updated: Sept/2012)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
After playing a lot of 3e and owning most of the Mongoose books I found that they really got used less and less. I eventually got rid of all the ones you'd be looking at. There was a time they were useful, but as more books got published by other companies I found the group using other books then Mongoose's.
Okay, so which Mongoose books, that you still own, do you recommend?

Crothian

First Post
Okay, so which Mongoose books, that you still own, do you recommend?

The only Mongoose books I kept were Babylon 5, Paranoia XP, and Slaine. I do have the green box set mega adventure (name escapes me right now) because of my love for overly long dungeon crawls I'll never get to run.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I'm also considering the Witch book, which I'm assuming is v.3.0.

The Quintessential Witch was a 3e book, but one of the Signs & Portents Magazines (print version, before they went PDF only and split into Roleplayer and Wargamer) had a 3.5e update for it. I can't recall the issue number though. I don't think that was taken into account either when it was entered in the Grand OGL Wiki.

Marx420

First Post
I'll weigh in my support for the slayer's guide to Bugbears, one of my favorite takes on my favorite iconic monsters aside from the one in Paizo's Classic Monsters Revisited and a perfect way to keep even mid level pc's shaking in their boots.

ggroy

First Post
The Slayer's Guides which I kept, are the "joke" ones like:

- Slayer's Guide to Rules Lawyers
- Slayer's Guide to Female Gamers
- etc ...

;)

I like the "City" books - Highthrone, Skraag, Stormhaven and Stonebridge. (I think there were four.) They are interesting places to stick in your campaign world.

I'm not a fan of the Quintessential books, since most of it seemed unbalanced to me (or "balanced" by making an overpowered sorcerer feat have Cha 19 as a prerequisite, so only min/maxers could take it, resulting in "the rich getting richer")

The Seas of Blood stuff was evocative; I think "Classic Play: Book of the Sea" is a compilation of it, but I'm not sure.

"Encyclopaedia Arcane - Enchantment" had some pretty good fluff, and some flavourfull spells. I particularly liked the "Camaraderie" spell, which makes people you have already charmed feel friendly and co-operative towards each other.

Ghostwind

First Post
I like the "City" books - Highthrone, Skraag, Stormhaven and Stonebridge. (I think there were four.) They are interesting places to stick in your campaign world.

The Seas of Blood stuff was evocative; I think "Classic Play: Book of the Sea" is a compilation of it, but I'm not sure.

I liked the city books also. Skraag was one of Wil Upchurch's first books. Stormhaven is an interesting city in the middle of the sea concept.

Classic Play: Book of the Sea is a worthwhile purchase.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads