• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk/Fighter combo (Martial Artist) from Dragon Mag #289

reveal

Adventurer
I am going to play a Monk in an OA campaign starting this weekend. I was hoping to look at the Monk/Fighter combo listed in Dragon Mag #289. However, I can't seem to find a copy.

Can some one post, or show me where to find, the table that has everything listed as to what Feats/Skills to take, etc?

Or is this considered copyrighted material? If so, nevermind and thanx for reading! :)

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
It's called the Martial Artist and is simply an evenly multi-classed Monk/Fighter. According to Dragon you begin as a monk.

Oops. No it's not even. It looks like this:

MFMFMFFMMFMFMFFMMFFM

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
It recommends Climb and Jump and cross-class Tumble. It also recommends cross-class Bluff. For feats it recommends excusively feats that are needed for style mastery. I guess styles can be found in OA.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
You definitely want a copy of OA before you start.

What level character are you designing? I would take just enough fighter levels to pick up the feats you need for the Empty Hand Mastery.

This style jacks up your unarmed damage die by one category (d6 becomes d8, d8 becomes 2d6).

Improved Unarmed Strike (free for monks)
Power Attack (Ftr 1)
Sunder (Ftr 2)
Ki Shout (1st level feat)
Fists of Iron (3rd level feat)
Eagle Claw Strike (6th level feat)
... and 4 ranks of Bluff.

Or something like that (there may be BAB restrictions on some of those feats that will delay you). You need some pretty decent stats, too. At least 15 Dex and 13 Str.

The Mighty Works style is good too. (+2 dodge bonus on any round when you make an unarmed attack).

Wulf

Remove ads