Monk Help

Vander

First Post
I have an 8th level Monk (Human) who tonite has enough exp. to take two more levels (one XP dump from Deck of Many Things, the other from the adventure).

I am tired of Monk, and my first thought was Fighter, in order to get to Weapons Master. I have also thought about Ninja of the Crescent Moon (fits the style of character), Sacred Fist (with some Cleric levels), or even Psi Warrior (although I'll have to do some reading).

I also lost all my magic items (Deck of Many Things in RtToEE) in the same session, so not much at my disposal except my Monk abilities, which are quite good. I would like to think of something where i could continue to use my Monk abilities, hence the Fighter hesitation. My ability scores are awesome, so anything is possible. Any ideas? Thanks.

I don`t know about the Ninja, but you`re character just becomes interesting as a monk... I would stay in it.
And is it only you, or is there also a in game reason for the monk to change his "profession"?

EOL

First Post
I would have to agree you've paid your dues through all the crap levels and now you're finally getting to the point where the monk starts to pay huge dividends. I would say stay with the monk.

Crothian

First Post
Stick with the monk. Or a monk prestige class from OA. Ninja of the Cresecent Moon isn't that good after the errata. And you do want to keep your monk abilities when if you take on a new class.

Artoomis

First Post
Perhaps the monk from OA would suit you? My impression is that it is written up a bit better than the basic monk from the PHB (though I haven't actially seen it).

edit: better yet, perhaps explain WHY you are sick of the monk, and we could give you better advice.

Last edited:

SpikeyFreak

First Post
EOL said:
I would have to agree you've paid your dues through all the crap levels and now you're finally getting to the point where the monk starts to pay huge dividends. I would say stay with the monk.

I agree.

If you are bent on taking some other class, look at the monk classes in the elf issue (it's #281) of Dragon mag. They advance as a monk in damage and UBAB.

--PrC Spikey

Legildur

First Post
As Crothian and Artoomis said, have a look at Oriental Adventures and the monk Prestige Classes in particular (Shiantao Monk, Henshin Mystic and Tattooed Monk).

All 3 PrCs allow you to advance your monk levels with regard to unarmed BAB, unarmed dmg, AC and base speed.

Also some cool new martial arts feats, better rules for monks generally (new monk special weapons list etc), and martial arts mastery (synergy type bonuses after grabbing certain martial arts feats).

Good luck.

Vander

First Post
Guess my foremost complaint is that, because the campaign is very combat intensive, a monk cannot survive without some boosting magical items. We do not find too much which I can even use, and then someone else takes it (as we random roll for picks).

Example: Common sense would say a monk would get a Amulet of Natural Armor +2 (maybe even the mage), but the greedy Dwarf Fighter/Cleric in Dwarven Plate takes it. The way we roll for picks, its his choice, but you think he'd be thinking about how it could best benefit the party.

I'm kinda glad I lost all magic items, cuz now I have the chance to re-equip from scratch.

I thought if i took a fighter-type class, I could use more items we come across. Guess thats just a meta-gaming philosophy, but I dont want my character to die, cuz she cant hang with the challenges which are thrown our way.

Have to take advantage of my Spring Attack every time.

Crothian

First Post
The monk in our party has the best AC by 6 points. Buy an item or trade for a magical item you can use. Have one comisioned. Steal from the dwarf when he sleeps. :)

Nareau

Explorer
Why even mention your campaign?

I don't mean to come across as mean, but would you mind not putting even minor spoilers about the RttToEE in your posts (especially when it's irrelevant to the question at hand)? I'm running this module, and I've seen a lot of little slips from various posters that give away important clues/scenes. I have players reading this board, and I hate having to rewrite parts of the adventure in order to keep them on their toes.

Thanks!

Remove ads