Monk reincarnated as Black Bear

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Hey all,
One of my NPCs died and got reincarnated as a black bear. Personally, I don't see any problems with him continuing to advance as a Monk; thanks to Tekken, I can easily picture a bear doing martial arts. :D

Does anyone have any fun suggestions that would make this bear more exciting?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Heh- I'm designing an Anthro Panda (with Savage Species) based on Tekken as well!

Thoughts in no particular order:

Since you're playing a reincarnated PC, you get to keep your "class abilities, feats, or skill ranks" from the previous incarnation. Class, BAB, save bonuses, HP, are unchanged, but stats must be retrofitted- dropping the old racial adjustments and adding the new.

Based on the Anthro critters in Savage Species, your PC should have excellent Str and con, perhaps wisdom as well (I don't have it in front of me), natural armor and natural attacks. He'd make a great fighter, monk, ranger, paladin, barbarian or psychic warrior (maybe other psi classes as well), no question, but unless you're an anthro (as opposed to a "normal" bear), however, spellcasting with somatic components would seem problematic. Psionics, OTOH, have no such problem, and there are lots of Psychic Warrior powers that enhance natural weapons, boost defenses, and pump damage (like Enlarge). I'm not 100% on the supplement, but my impression of Magic of Incarnum is that, like psionics, a lack of manual dexterity wouldn't hinder a PC.

If your DM allows spellcasting for this PC, Druid would also be pretty cool.

Get Improved Natural Attack.

The Kensai PrCl would probably work with this as well.

Drowbane

First Post
I could be mistaken (and you might not care) but reincarnation is unable to change a character's type. Thus a reincarnated human must come back as a humanoid.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
True, but they may be using a version of the spel that is more 1Ed flavored...in which case almost anything goes.

He could also be playing 3e (pg 244) and not 3.5 (pg 270)

the 3e version is as follows
Reincarnate
Transmutation
Level: Drd 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Dead creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
With this spell, the character brings back a dead creature in another body, provided death occurred no more than 1 week before the casting of the spell and the subject’s soul is free and willing to return. If the subject’s soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, subjects who want to return receive no saving throw. Since the dead creature is returning in a new body, all physical ills and afflictions are repaired. The magic of the spell creates an entirely new young adult body for the soul to inhabit from the natural elements at hand. This process requires 1 hour to complete. When the body is ready, the subject is reincarnated.
A character reincarnated recalls the majority of his former life and form. The character retains his or her Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, as well as any class abilities or skills formerly possessed. The character’s class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and hit points are unchanged. Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores depend partly on the new body. First eliminate the character’s racial adjustments (since the character is no longer of his or her previous race) and then apply the adjustments found below. The character’s level is reduced by 1. (If the character was 1st level, his or her new Constitution score is reduced by 1.)
It’s quite possible for the change in the character’s ability scores to make it difficult for the character to pursue his or her previous character class.
The new incarnation is determined on the following table or by DM choice.
d% Incarnation Str Dex Con
-- ----------- --- --- ---
01–03 Badger +4 +8 +4
04–09 Bear, black +8 +2 +4
10–13 Bear, brown +15 +2 +8
14–17 Boar +4 0 +6
18–25 Centaur +8 +4 +4
26–28 Dryad 0 +4 0
29–32 Eagle 0 +4 +2
33–42 Elf 0 +2 –2
43–46 Gnome –2 0 +2
47–48 Hawk –4 +6 0
49–58 Halfling –2 +2 0
59–78 Human 0 0 0
79–80 Leopard +6 +8 +4
81–82 Owl –4 +6 0
83–86 Pixie –4 +8 0
87–90 Satyr 0 +2 +2
91–96 Wolf +2 +4 +4
97–99 Wolverine +10 +8 +8
100 Other ? ? ? (DM’s choice)
Some bodies may make it impossible for the reincarnated character to use some of his or her class abilities. The reincarnated character does gain any powers or abilities associated with his new form. A humanoid reincarnated into an animal body can speak the languages it formerly knew and is a magical beast.A wish spell can restore a reincarnated character to his or her original form.

3.5e version as follows
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm

ceratitis

First Post
this is a NPc right? arent you worried it might overshadow your players? i know i would want to be in a group where the dm plays the npc that get to do all the combats and kicka$$. other than that a monk bear is cool, try to think up a special fighting style for him "hugging bear"? :D
Z

Tetsubo

First Post
As a GM and a player I don't have a problem with a reincarntaed humanoid coming back as an animal. A few things that might make in a tad complicated though... communication for one, how does he convey his thoughts and needs to others?

Acceptence, his party might well think it's neat having an intelligent bear around but what about common townsfolks? They might well rtequire such a "wild" animal to be muzzled while in a settlement.

Attacks. I've never been able to keep the whole multiple animal attacks/monk attacks issue straight... how many attacks wouyld he have and what would the penalties be? How does this mesh with the Flurry of Blows ability? Maybe think about the PHBII alternative monk ability option.

Magic items. A list I picked up somewhere:

Animal Item Slots

Although it's easy to imagine an animal benefiting from magic equipment beyond a simple saddle and a suit of barding, fitting a mount's physiology to the list of item slots available to characters is not an easy task. Try the following variant list of item slots for quadruped animals (and other monsters when appropriate).

One skull cap or helm
One pair of lenses or goggles
One collar
One saddle blanket or vest
One saddle or jacket
One belt or strap worn in front of or over the haunches
One pectoral or harness worn over the chest or shoulders
One pair foreleg bracers
One pair of foreleg shoes or mitts -- hoofed creatures wear shoes and creatures with paws wear mitts
Two rings -- creatures with toes wear rings on the toes and creatures with hooves wear "rings" just above fore hooves
One pair of hind leg shoes or mitts -- hoofed creatures wear shoes and creatures with paws wear mitts

I like the idea of an itelligent animal with class levels. There are just a number of issues...

Remove ads