• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks vs *big beasties*

VirgilCaine

First Post
fusangite said:
This dovetails with the other argument we tend to have about monks on ENWorld -- are they portable to the West from East Asia as some kind of generic unarmed fighter?

The reason monks can do this kind of stuff is magic. The characters from East Asian myth and literature on whom they are doing supernatural things. So, a monk hitting a dragon is as likely as a wizard hitting it with a magic missile, or as likely as the dragon itself for that matter.

The only reason people could think this is weird is if they imagine that somehow a monk is a mundane, non-magical "unarmed fighter."

I ruled that basically, monks use the same force that adepts use, it's just they have specialized applications because of the archetype of their class. Some class abilities are magical, some are based on manipulation of pneuma [i.e. ki--the Greek version.]. I used to not like monk's flavor, but then I read this site:
http://www.tibetankungfu.com/pankration.htm

Breakstone

First Post
Dude... have you not read comic books? Superheroes battle Giant Dinosaurs and Tremendous Starfish From Space all the time... with their bare hands, bows and arrows, or batarangs!

argo

First Post
Sir ThornCrest said:
Do any of you find it strange for a fighter with his longsword to strike a dragon or like big beastie and cause damage? You would think the dragon gets splinters bigger than the longsword! If you house rule this you would severely handicap the class.
Fixed your post for you. ;)

Breakstone

First Post
argo said:
Fixed your post for you. ;)

Heh, yep! The point is that the fighter isn't cutting into the creature's leg... his blade is COLLIDING with the beast, sending its leg SKIDDING OUT, CRASHING through the wall of a nearby tavern!

...or the monk doesn't just punch the creature... he LEAPS into the air, the heel of his foot CRUNCHING into the creature's jaw, sending the beast REELING backward, teeth FLYING out of its mouth!

punkorange

First Post
I agree that a monk is far more than a martial artists. A monk is only a normaly martial artist until around fourth level. By level 16 he is getting off 5 attacks at 2d8 damage, and all of these attacks are considered to be from magical, lawful, adamantite weapons. I see magical energies gathering around a monk's body as they fight, think DBZ on a smaller scale. I don't see any reason why one of these guys would be able to put the hurt on big creatures.

Storyteller01

First Post
dunno...

Martial arts urban legend has a story about a karate expert who killed a bull with one punch. Supposedly, the punch had been to the bulls head (arguable their thickest piece of 'armor'). SUpposed to have happened realtively recently (so no 'thousands of years ago' antics :) )

punkorange

First Post
Storyteller01 said:
dunno...

Martial arts urban legend has a story about a karate expert who killed a bull with one punch. Supposedly, the punch had been to the bulls head (arguable their thickest piece of 'armor'). SUpposed to have happened realtively recently (so no 'thousands of years ago' antics :) )

Take that and add to the fact that d&d heroes are above and beyond what we see in the real world...
Wonder how much HP the bull would have had? A hit to the head like that was probably a crit as well, so double the damage.

ThoughtBubble

First Post
Ok, so using his knowledge of the body and harmonic resonance, the monk strikes quickly twice in the same spot, the first hit causing no appreciable damage, but the second causing a rippling shockwave throughout the internal system of the dragon, for about 1D12+strength points of damage, which is enough to cause a normal human's innards to simply explode.

Or, maybe it's a shot to a tendon, nerve or other area that just really hurts, so that the dragon is distracted, and then more vulnerable for the hit that does it in.

Or, the monk's fists simply strike with the force of a cannon ball, crushing muscle beneath the bone and his fist, perhaps even splintering bone. Enough force to cause metal fatigue, and strenuous cracks in stone.

Or, perhaps the monk has a field that warps the laws of physics, causing his punches to do far more damage than they should.

Or, as a rite of passage, each monk is required to dip himsself hands in a sacred river, that, over time, magically endows them with striking power.

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
Storyteller01 said:
dunno...

Not an urban legend. It's real. It's on film. He did it multiple times, though he was not successful every time. He might be still alive, I'm not sure. His name is Mas Oyama.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads