Monster Builder problem- all my powers have disappeared

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I was building some new monsters and went to use some powers of some of my earlier custom creatures BUT, while my custom creatures still exist, all of my powers are now BLANK.

109 creatures. All that work erased. Arghhh... and here was I thinking WotC finally got its act together on an electronic product but this has now happened.

Two minor things:

- I was adjusting the Wisdom on a controller and the Reflex defence was changing in response. WTF? Has this happened to anyone else?
- Why doesn't the controller have a high ability score?

Am I the only one experiencing these difficulties?

Jack99

Adventurer
Nope. With me, it's all the hit points of my custom creatures that have been screwed up. They all have negative hit points (like -2,14657890)

:(

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
There are people also complaining on the WotC boards about the missing powers so it seems I'm not alone.

I'm really browned off. The first adventure of my new campaign is in a couple of days and I built a lot of custom creatures for it.

Alikar

First Post
There are people also complaining on the WotC boards about the missing powers so it seems I'm not alone.

I'm really browned off. The first adventure of my new campaign is in a couple of days and I built a lot of custom creatures for it.

To be fair it is beta software. Your using it at your own risk and you could have easily saved all of your creations to a word doc.

Don't panic. It is possible that your stuff is saved in an unexpected place. I had a bit of a time with the character builder. It didn't save characters to a location that I expected. My program was installed to C:\\program files\ Wizards of the Coast\Character builder so I took a character file a player mailed to me and put it in the saved characters folder. I opened the program and it wasn't there ! :eek: so I started poking around to see where the program was reading characters from. It was owner\documents\ddi\saved characters.:confused:

Monster files have the .data extension. Do a search on your computer for .data files and see if any show up in a weird location.

drothgery

First Post
Don't panic. It is possible that your stuff is saved in an unexpected place. I had a bit of a time with the character builder. It didn't save characters to a location that I expected. My program was installed to C:\program files Wizards of the CoastCharacter builder so I took a character file a player mailed to me and put it in the saved characters folder. I opened the program and it wasn't there ! :eek: so I started poking around to see where the program was reading characters from. It was ownerdocumentsddisaved characters.:confused:

Monster files have the .data extension. Do a search on your computer for .data files and see if any show up in a weird location.

Err... that's not a weird location. That's where they're supposed to be.

User files should be saved under the current user's 'Documents' or 'My Documents' directory by default. Application configuration files (and anything else a program needs to modify, but users don't) should be in the current user's 'Application Data' directory. Since standard users can't write to Program Files (and Win7 or Vista will pop up UAC warnings by default even if you're running as an Admin, which you should not be doing), nothing should go there that's going to change at any point except installation and/or installing patches. This has been in the standard Microsoft application guidelines since at least 2000.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
To be fair it is beta software. Your using it at your own risk and you could have easily saved all of your creations to a word doc.

And in the words of the narrator of the Rocky Horror Picture Show... undt I did. Well, I saved all of them as PDFs which is close enough but I don't want to retype it all into the creator. One of the reasons was my paranoia that something would go wrong because it was software produced by WotC. ;)

Nah, don't blame the user. Derul, don't panic. It's possible they're still there.

No, mate, no panic; just hoping that someone (like one of these programmer-types who seem know a thing or two about bad software) might pop up and say, "Yeah, they did (blah) wrong. You can recover your files by doing (blah blah)."

From some other posts I have seen around the internet it just looks like a major fault and not something unique to me (but at least none of my custom creatures have had their hit points reset to -2 billion as other posters, including Jack99, have been complaining about!).

I've lodged the formal bug report with WotC already.

Remove ads