• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Encyclopaedia 1 - Out Now!

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
Hi guys,

The first of a brand new series from Mongoose, Monster Encyclopaedia: Ravagers of the Realms, is due to hit shops this week! This new series of monster bhooks is designed to bring you the very best and all new creations of creatures that have been distilled from the fevered imaginations of our writers! The first serves as a general introduction, providing GMs with plenty of new beasties to inflict upon their players. The second, due next month, focusses on the very nature of evil and the creatures that champion it. There has also been rumours floating around our offices of a third volume concentrating on Epic level creatures. . .

All the monsters in this book are alphabetically listed but come with charts organising them by type (and subtype), and Challenge Rating. There is also a few pages given over to using 'Monster Palettes' in scenarios, Moinster Generators and a quick guide on building effective (and believable) encounters. Each monster entry itself has a picture (and some very nice ones there are too), stat block, a visual description that can be read out to players, its background, and finally its combat information - everything you need at a glance!

I won't go through all the monsters here but they are all new and never before seen. Here are a few of my favourites;

Anachras: A set of Chaotic Good outsiders of varying breeds.

Barbed Serpent: Perfect for those parties who reguarly take on Purple Worms and win.

Bleak General: A servant of devils who would give a Death Knight a real run for its money.

Dreamtoad: This is one amphibian that you can get high with just being near it.

Kakodaimon: Took me a while to realise just where the inspiration for this beast came from - think very popular 3D computer game. . . And great for d20.

Plundering Dead: Death hulks risen from the sea no longer have to be crewed by zombies.

Quakefather: The elemental manifestation of an earthquake.

Unraveller: A CR 28 creature, a sphere of annihilation spun into a monster.

There are over 200 hundred new monsters here and, as I said before, more are on the way in future volumes!

Monster Encyclopaedia 1: Ravagers of the Realms is priced at $39.95 and will be appearing in your local stores this week.

X-Marks!

First Post
Hesitation based on past representation.

Just to clarify, these books are made up of entirely original monsters, as opposed to monsters culled from other company's sourcebooks...? (I hope, I hope.)

Also, will you have an art preview on the web?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Thanks for answering the one question.

How about the other? I know that the monster book at Gen Con is supposed to be a huge book and I'd rather just get it than get two seperate monster books and then find out that those monsters are in the 'big' book.

Nellisir

Hero
JoeGKushner said:
Thanks for answering the one question.

How about the other? I know that the monster book at Gen Con is supposed to be a huge book and I'd rather just get it than get two seperate monster books and then find out that those monsters are in the 'big' book.

I haven't heard about this "huge book" (and I'm curious), but it'd have to be HUGE. At $39.95 this sounds like it's in the 256 pg. or more range, and I know the second one is priced similarly.

Cheers
Nell.

Man-thing

First Post
There are Two Monster Encyclopedias and a Huge Book coming out

Monster Encyclopedia I is out now and is 256 pages (I think)
Monster Encyclopedia II will be out next month I think and is 256 pages

but at GenCon

There is a huge 1000 page monster book coming out. The is even a contest to name the ficitonal author of the book, if you win they base the appearance to the author on you and you get credit and a free book. (Contest is on this forum and on the Mongoose boards.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads