• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Monster Layout Preferences

Sacrosanct

Legend
Just throwing out some ideas how to make monster entries have value other than basic description/behavior and the stat block itself. So far I'm thinking for every monster entry:

Name
Description

Lore & Rumors
Table based on history DC check

Incorporation
Plot hooks, relationships with other creatures

Behavior
Attitudes, leadership

Habitat
Lair descriptions

Quirks
Table with random quirks

Anything else you'd like to see incorporated? Suggested Treasure? Example encounter make-ups?

This is how it would look (ignore grammar or spelling issues, this is for general mock-up purposes only)

abhartach.jpg

abhartach2.jpg

abhartach3.jpg

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
The habitat section should include a listing of the terrain types that align with the DMG. It's cool if you want to note new, campaign setting specific ones, too, but the second it moves away from the DMG, that limits its usefulness.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Just throwing out some ideas how to make monster entries have value other than basic description/behavior and the stat block itself. So far I'm thinking for every monster entry:

Name
Description

Lore & Rumors

Incorporation
Plot hooks, relationships with other creatures

Behavior
Attitudes, leadership

Habitat
Lair descriptions

Quirks
Table with random quirks

Anything else you'd like to see incorporated? Suggested Treasure? Example encounter make-ups?

This is how it would look (ignore grammar or spelling issues, this is for general mock-up purposes only)

View attachment 142042
View attachment 142043
View attachment 142044
This looks great! Nice work.
🤩

Lore & Rumors
Regarding lore:
Intelligence (History) checks measure your ability to recall lore about historical events, legendary people, ancient kingdoms, past disputes, recent wars, and lost civilizations; none of which pertains to monster lore, per se.

There's a "Monster Research" table in the section on parlaying with monsters under Dungeon Master's Tools in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything (p. 148). You might consider using the suggested skills for lore on each monster type.

Check it out for some inspo.

Regarding rumors:
Straight Charisma checks are used for finding the best people to talk to for rumors.

You might consider nodding to that as it's something players might expect as a base assumption.

These are not criticisms, just some things to think about.
:)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I love it! Especially the lore and rumors table. I’m not sure quirks needs to be under a separate header from behavior. Another thing I would like to see is taking a page out of 4e’s book and having multiple stat blocks for a monster at different CR levels and/ore filling different combat roles.

aco175

Legend
I like seeing the stat block up top right after the intro paragraph. This way I can look over some of the details before getting to the where and why I need it. The 2nd description is better than the first to me.

I would buy something like this.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yup, that spot on.

As far as page layout goes, I'd go with something like this:

Name/Pronounciation

Description
Behavior
Habitat
Lore and Rumor
Statblock
Incorporation