D&D 5E Monster Manual - What pictures really stood out, or changed your view on a monster?

Henrix

Explorer
[I think this is veering off into complaints that may well be suited for a different thread.]

What really stood out and changed how I see a monster is the wonderfully sweet frolicking otyughs on p.8.

I just never thought about how fun it could be to have a couple of them chasing each other in the junkyard!

"Frolicking Otyughs" is my new cover band.

Actually, I really may have a group of tavern performers using that name at some point in a future campaign. :D

DM Howard

Explorer
I really enjoyed the Myconid picture. The artist did a great job giving them a monstrous appearance, but at the same time making them appear more gentle and less menacing than many things you would find in the Underdark.

Scorpio616

First Post
1st e art.
Yea, they had small fangs sticking out the sides of their mouth due to the original inspiration from H J Ford.
OgreMagi_zps99ba7d1d.png

These walrus tusks are another kettle of fish :hmm: Ok, maybe they are not that oversized, but they are large enough to be distracting.

I was wondering what happened along the way to cause the Cloud concept to get ditched...

DEV_09-26_Giants_Selection.jpg

Last edited:

Scorpio616

First Post
[I think this is veering off into complaints that may well be suited for a different thread.]
A monster's illo that makes it looks too silly to use is certainly changing someones mind on the monster! Standing out can be done in positive and negative ways. Like a glaring omission that really stands out, such as the Behir missing it's scales, making it's skin look like a RL salamander.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Went to check out the MM from the local FLGS yesterday, and actually tried to keep this thread in mind to decide which monsters to check out! :)

Two that come to mind are the cockatrice and merrow.

Forgot to check the Merrow, but I did check out the Cockatrice. It's a really good scary picture, but actually it's remarkably similar to the same picture in the 3e MM... which was in fact great, and after reading your comment I was wondering how could they make it better. They couldn't, but they made it almost the same :D

The griffon ... griffons are weak.

I think it's quite ok. It doesn't look particularly epic, the 3e picture looked more epic but had some strange artifact in the printing that gave it a very odd black lining IIRC.

On the flip side, the owlbear was a huge disappointment, especially after all the awesome concept art.

Agreed, this was one of the worst I noticed. I'll still resort to the 3e MM to show a picture of an Owlbear to the players.

Worgs look like Peter Jackson's Wargs not like giant wolves.

I am not sure how they should be... The current pictured seemed ok to me, but a bit too disproportionate.

Myconids!

I strongly suspect these guys started out as a joke about psychedelic mushrooms, but the 5e art is majestically unearthly.

Well I admit the art caught me unprepared, and I still don't know if I liked it or not. It's just plain weird.

the Kraken, we now have Harryhausen inspired monster instead of a giant squid/octopus (which may be more historically accurate, but not as cool imo)

I saw this artwork online and I am still undecided. Giant squid was fine for me, alien monster is fine also but the current pose makes it impossible to figure out how it actually looks like. In the original artist's webpage you can see other poses and then the monsters makes more sense, but IMO they shouldn't have picked this one for the MM.

Behir really stood out with its serpentine body. It's almost mythic in its appearance.

OTOH I'm really disappointed at the devils and demons. Most of them don't look supernatural enough. They're just cartoony and not intimidating, freaky or unnatural.

Here's some better devils/demons http://waynebarlowe.wordpress.com/artwork/hell/

Didn't check the Behir. As for demons and devils, I liked them all except perhaps the lesser ones. I think those from your link are way too disturbing... perhaps that's exactly what they should be, but IMHO for a regular D&D book those would be highly inappropriate.

I had Green Ronin's books of devils and demons for 3e, and even there the artwork is much scarier than the 3e/5e MM, and while not yet really disturbing, they were IMO already better suitable for a supplement with a warning label that it's not a children's product.

Modrons art is replicated from a Dragon magazine article, and is quite cartoonish and IMO fails to capture any of the strangeness/gravitas of Modrons, or how I might use them as besides comic relief. I give it a solid "C."

Slaad art OTOH is new, outstanding, and evocative. I really feel the differences in the various types of slaad and get a sense that I could use them as insidious infiltrators and initiators of chaos. I give it a solid "A."

I loved the 5e Modrons art! I don't have the original Planescape books, but the 5e MM pictures are pretty much how I thought them to be back then in 2e. If someone told me they had recycled the old art, I would have believed them.

I am not a huge fan of Slaadi for conceptual reasons (I don't like that "ultimate creatures of chaos" follow a very regular pattern of transformations) and I found that 5e slaad have the same visual problem as in 3e: they all look pretty much the same, just in different colors. But the pictures themselves seemed very good for sure.

Barlgura - it used to be an orangutang, not an orange gorilla). Anyone notice that the mephits ARE IN THE SAME POSE IN EACH PICTURE (except the Mud)? Why do the yeti have ram's horns?

Now, there were some I did like - the angels, cockatrice, merrow, centaur & chimera, quasit and the picture of Castle Ravenloft are great. The displacer beast looks sleek and fearsome. Most of the dragons are well done (exception is the red & shadow). I'm glad to see a woman-like Dryad back instead of the tree abomination.

I saw only some of those you mentioned, but here's what I remember:

- Barlgura, not a particularly brilliant picture but fine for me (I have no idea what it was originally)
- Mephits, I remembered your comment exactly so I checked them, and you are right :)
- Yeti, looked great to me, horns or not I honestly don't care, I am just glad they didn't do it too much ape-like or human-like or with gigantic feet because I generally hate those takes on yetis
- Angels, I liked the pictures but not the concept, they all seemed too similar, all too muscular bare-chested human males with white wings and a sword (I don't even think they need to be muscular at all, but rather have supernatural strength)
- Chimera, that one just looked fantastic!

Not sure about the cloud giant either - since when did cloud giants have vampire teeth? Thri Kreen look awful.

Orc, goblin, hobgoblin, ogre, troll have all changed quite a bit from earlier editions. Is it just me or do they look a bit "warcrafty but with different colours"?

I actually thought the cloud giant had piercing on the lips, not fangs, but maybe I didn't look carefully.

I agree that those others look "wow-ish" but they also look better IMO:
- I prefer the current orcs compared to the fuzzy boar-like 3e orcs, also because now half-orcs actually look halfway between the two.
- I like both 3e and 5e ogres, with slight preference for the new ones
- Trolls look better than 3e and much better than 4e
- goblinoids on the other hand I'm still not completely sure, one positive thing is that they now look visibly related to each other

Stormonu

Legend
A monster's illo that makes it looks too silly to use is certainly changing someones mind on the monster! Standing out can be done in positive and negative ways. Like a glaring commission that really stands out, such as the Behir missing it's scales, making it's skin look like a RL salamander.

Yeah, I think that's what bothers me about the Behir. I love the colorful scales from it's original picture on S4.

As for the Bar-Lgura, I think the original was based on the killer orangutang from Poe's Murder in the Rue Morgue. Going back through the old 1E/2E pics it was essentially just an orangutang with six fingers; 2E put it in armor/clothes but the picture didn't do it much justice. However, to me it now just looks too gorilla - we've already got a host of monsters with gorilla proportions and we don't need another.

transtemporal

Explorer
I actually thought the cloud giant had piercing on the lips, not fangs, but maybe I didn't look carefully.

Actually they are fangs, whoever pointed that earlier was totally correct. The 1e cloud giant does have fangs, I just never noticed em!

- I prefer the current orcs compared to the fuzzy boar-like 3e orcs, also because now half-orcs actually look halfway between the two.

Agreed. Those 3e orcs were weird. They always seem to do the ogre pretty decently.

Definitely. The old ones looked... trolly and evil. The new ones look, well, like a bad racial caricature.

- goblinoids on the other hand I'm still not completely sure, one positive thing is that they now look visibly related to each other

Yeah, I'm not sure on these either. They're kinda cool but they look a bit... catlike maybe? Not sure.

Quickleaf

Legend
Transtemporal said:
Orc, goblin, hobgoblin, ogre, troll have all changed quite a bit from earlier editions. Is it just me or do they look a bit "warcrafty but with different colours"?
Li Shenron said:
I agree that those others look "wow-ish" but they also look better IMO:
I agree there is a WOW motif to several of those monsters, most aggregiously the orcs.

Personally, I like the 4e troll a lot... 5e one isn't bad either, but the 4e one comes across as more menacing to me due to facial proportions. Different strokes for different folks :)

dnd-5th-troll.jpg

4e_trolls.jpg

Remove ads