Monster Recruiting?

scarymonkey

First Post
One of the things that I have always wondered about D&D- how do all of these evil guys go about recruiting their evil monster minions?

Does an Evil Wizard(tm) just go wandering off in the woods and threaten goblins until they worship him or does he put an ad in the paper (Wanted: Swordfodder, all the adventurers you can eat, full dental benefits, EOE)? If I was an evil megalomaniac, it would seem to be a lot easier and safer to just hire members of my own race to do my nefarious bidding.

alsih2o

First Post
don't forget that all of it might not be recruiting...a powerful force naturally draws lackeys. (subtly avoids any political discussion, tips hat to mods) if you start kicking butt in an area, the weaker intelligent beings will side with you out of survival instinct.

caudor

Adventurer
Aside from the dental plan (chuckle), I'd say alot has to do with common interests. Self interest may not always be enough for evil to join forces, but add in a sprinkle of fear and power and you'll have good recipe.

Evil monsters do not follow those they just 'like', but will they follow those they fear. Of course, throw in an HMO or 401 K, and self interest becomes a major factor indeed.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The Leadership feat...;)

No, hear me out...one dude takes leadership...when his cohort reaches 6th level, the cohort takes leadrship. Same with the cohort's cohort. And all their followers as well...

Own personal army by 20th level. :)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Like Dogs

The Dog is a domesticated worlf which first came into contact with humans by hanging around their rubbish heaps.

So you have a band of marauding orcs/gnolls/etc who notice that a Mage Tower has appeared in their traditional hunting grounds.
They attack and are beaten by the powerful scorcerer and go off grumbling. Later they are attacked by Adventurers and flee. The Scorcerer is also attacked and slays the adventurers.
The Gnolls being at least sentient (if not intelligent) think - "okay this guys a bit of alright lets go offer our services in return for protection

scarymonkey

First Post
Tonguez said:
They attack and are beaten by the powerful sorcerer...

But what if the bad guy isn't that powerful? I've seen many a module where a 3rd lvl mage has his own army of humanoid guards. Or how about when the goblins have bugbear or Ogres working for them. Why don't the more powerful monsters take over? That's what seems very weird to me.

I've often thought that you could make a good scenario involving having to rescue an evil mage that was captured by some humanoids that he was trying to recruit for his army. Of course, the pc's wouldn't know that he was evil or why he was captured...
:)

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
In a simple "might makes right" society, all that's needed for leadership is to establish that you're mighty. It takes extra work if you're of a different race, and you also have to establish your authority when your lackeys are out of your arm's reach-- effective discipline and loyal underbosses.

My main Epic Level character was converted from 2e, where he was a 14th level Fighter/28th level Wizard (dual class). He didn't acquire followers until he was fairly powerful Wizard. He'd walk or Teleport into an orc camp, walk right up to the Chief, and offer to pay him for his services and loyalty. If the Chief agreed, he'd set the Chief up as one of his lieutenants, pay him room, board, and gold, and then give his orders through the Chief.

If the Chief didn't agree, he'd kill him on the spot and declare himself Chief. He usually didn't bother with the Shaman, but would "hire" the shaman if approached.

He also hired human mercenaries, as long as they were willing to work with his more loyal troops. When he learned Demiplane Seed, he moved the entire operation to his demiplane and ran it from there. Since we were playing Planescape by that time, he started opening "recruiting offices" in any Prime Sphere he could get his hands on-- usually in lands held by humanoids, but occasionally he'd open an office in a civilized city.

Once you have a stronghold and establish yourself as a power, you will gather followers pretty automatically, human and otherwise.

Remove ads